My Van Halen Synth Demo

The other week I posted short vid on the song Right Now (VH) and mentioned I'd put together a video demo'ing a few other of my VH presets I've made on Ableton Live. It's showcasing a few of my main presets here minus a few not shown. It's an unlisted video I uploaded to my Youtube so that only those with this link can view as I don't have an active channel but needed a way to share the vid here. Hope you enjoy! Cheers. Long live the mighty Van Halen

Nice! I've been toying around with VH synth tones via Arturia X Collection. Could you help me with Mine All Mine tones? Is it mainly an OB-X/OB-8 for both low register bass and higher register pads? Or do you think it's two different synths/settings? The closest I got was using the free OB-Xd VST with the Accordian preset. I've searched for days on the 'net for any help with this tune, but no luck. Would appreciate your help/opinion.

The other week I posted short vid on the song Right Now (VH) and mentioned I'd put together a video demo'ing a few other of my VH presets I've made on Ableton Live. It's showcasing a few of my main presets here minus a few not shown. It's an unlisted video I uploaded to my Youtube so that only those with this link can view as I don't have an active channel but needed a way to share the vid here. Hope you enjoy! Cheers. Long live the mighty Van Halen

This is awesome. You need an active channel for sure!

Nice! I've been toying around with VH synth tones via Arturia X Collection. Could you help me with Mine All Mine tones? Is it mainly an OB-X/OB-8 for both low register bass and higher register pads? Or do you think it's two different synths/settings? The closest I got was using the free OB-Xd VST with the Accordian preset. I've searched for days on the 'net for any help with this tune, but no luck. Would appreciate your help/opinion.
i have yet to tackle Mine all Mine. I've been scouring the web as well looking for any clues but can't find much info. I"m pretty sure an OB8 /X type emulation would have the basic dna to the sound. It must be a basic sound in there somewhere as Eddie typically didnt use anything crazy for synths. I gotta go through my OP-X pro II VST and audition some presets in there to see if something is close.

I read Ed also had/used a prophet synth back in the day before using the OB-XA. I came across this sound demo. this low drone which is also easily achievable on the Oberheim emulations...my ear tells me this would be maybe the basis for that intro pulse sound to Mine all Mine. Mess around with the filter cutoff and other mods perhaps adding some effect to it. Regarding his use of prophet keyboards, interesting tidbit from musicradar article , I'll partially quote here :

Getting into the details later, EVH told Guitar World: "I wrote Jump on a Sequential Circuits Prophet-10 in my bedroom while the studio was being built.

"Every time I got the sound that I wanted on the right-hand split section of the keyboard, it would start smoking and pop a fuse. I got another one and the same thing happened.

"A guy I knew said I should try an Oberheim OB-Xa, so I bought one of those and got the sound I wanted."

Last edited:
I read Ed also had/used a prophet synth back in the day before using the OB-XA. I came across this sound demo. this low drone which is also easily achievable on the Oberheim emulations...my ear tells me this would be maybe the basis for that intro pulse sound to Mine all Mine. Mess around with the filter cutoff and other mods perhaps adding some effect to it. Regarding his use of prophet keyboards, interesting tidbit from musicradar article , I'll partially quote here :

Getting into the details later, EVH told Guitar World: "I wrote Jump on a Sequential Circuits Prophet-10 in my bedroom while the studio was being built.

"Every time I got the sound that I wanted on the right-hand split section of the keyboard, it would start smoking and pop a fuse. I got another one and the same thing happened.

"A guy I knew said I should try an Oberheim OB-Xa, so I bought one of those and got the sound I wanted."

Thanks @Chewie5150

Back
Top Bottom