My unit sounds like there's a low cut and a high cut on the master.

Nevelous

For 10 years, I thought my Axe FXII XL was just bad, but since then I've heard so many good sounds on it, I now know, the unit itself must have a bug on something.
I've updated the firmware, tried all outputs and inputs, digital outs. Tried factory reset. All sound the same, like crap. I've uploaded IR's. Nothing helps.

My unit sounds like there is a hi cut & low cut eq on the master.

I've wasted so much time in my life, like weeks, on my unit trying to make it sound good, but with no avail.
It's been gathering dust for 10 years now.

Anybody had this problem?
Is there a way to clear the whole memory and re-load the firmware or something?

Is it a II or a III? You might get more help on the II forum if it’s a II.

Best bet is to post your preset.

Is it a II or a III? You might get more help on the II forum if it’s a II.

Best bet is to post your preset.
There is one post in the FX II forum where a guy experienced the same thing happening, but there is no conclusion.
Just thought I get an answer faster from here, since that thread is so dead.

All the amps/presets have the same issue. I do know, you can do a lot of wrong things to mess up a sound, but you just have to trust me, it's not my skills that are lacking. I've done so many A/B tests with my real 5150 amp (recorded in to a loadbox) and made a comparison with the same IR and the difference is so huge, there HAS to be something wrong. I've heard so many similar A/B tests and they get extremely close. My Axe sounds like a cardboard box compared to the amp, or other 5150 amp sims.

The difference is so big that it can't be the settings in the preset. There's no low end and no high end.

For 10 years, I thought my Axe FXII XL was just bad, but since then I've heard so many good sounds on it, I now know, the unit itself must have a bug on something.
I've updated the firmware, tried all outputs and inputs, digital outs. Tried factory reset. All sound the same, like crap. I've uploaded IR's. Nothing helps.

My unit sounds like there is a hi cut & low cut eq on the master.

I've wasted so much time in my life, like weeks, on my unit trying to make it sound good, but with no avail.
It's been gathering dust for 10 years now.

Anybody had this problem?
Is there a way to clear the whole memory and re-load the firmware or something?
Does it sound the same through headphones?
What type of setup are using it on, interface with monitors?

I would start by resetting your global parameters in the utilities menu.

You can reload a fresh copy of the firmware with fractal bot afterwards if that doesn’t work.

Last edited:
Does it sound the same through headphones?
What type of setup are using it on, interface with monitors?

I would start by resetting your global parameters in the utilities menu.

You can reload a fresh copy of the firmware with fractal bot afterwards if that doesn’t work.
Like I said in the first post. I sounds the same from analog outs, spdif out, and yes headphones.
Also like I said, I've reset everything, re-loaded the latest firmware and so on.

I bought my unit when FXII XL came out in 2012 or 2013. I think it was like this out of the box.
I'm hoping somebody else had this issue and maybe got their unit fixed at Fractal or found a solution.

My unit sounds like a cardboard box compared to anything else. And I know now, that it's not supposed to sound like this.

Moving this to the relevant forum.

If you have the ability, create a patch that's just In -> Out. Run a sweep through the unit to check the frequency response. If it's flat then it's not the unit but something else in your signal chaing.

Just curious why you've waited 10+ years to try and figure it out?
First I thought that Axe just sounds bad and left it unused for years. Wiped the dust of it and got back to it like 2018 again after hearing an bind A/B test on youtube with a 5150. I still could not figure it out and just gave up. I've been torn since I've wasted so much time on it and just want to get it fixed, because I know it's faulty somehow.

Perhaps a scientific approach would help determine whether it’s hardware or software. Cliff has recommended a sweep through the unit to check the frequency response… I don’t know how to do that on a II, any II-ers know?

Another thing you could do is post the preset file and ask someone to check on their unit. Posting a sound sample of what you are hearing might contain some clues.

Back
Top Bottom