My Ultra arrived. extremely disappointed with patch changing

Cliff seems to be reading my mind lately. Last week I was thinking I'd really ought to put spring reverbs back on some Fender amp sims and try to make them more to my liking and the next day he comes up with firmware that improves them. This week I'd been thinking about re-organizing my grids for more consistency and routing options and now I have a heads up for doing it in such a way to take even better advantage of it.

I didn't think I believed in psychics, but now...?

AWESOME! Delay in patch change has always driven me crazy, but one of the reasons I made the switch to AxeFX is it's way quicker than Vetta II and has delay/reverb spillover. This would ice the delicious cake Cliff's baked!

FractalAudio said:
javajunkie said:
Good question. I thought if you change amp models it would have to mute as to avoid popping.

The amp block has a separate mute function. You do have to mute the amp block briefly. The amount of time should be less though and all your other effects will continue.

I wonder if it would be possible to have a option for a quick damping / ramping on either end of the amp sims when switching presets, if that would make it sound more like a morph than a definitive drop-out? Even if it takes as long or slightly longer than it does now to get past the drop-out between presets, as long as there are FX spillovers to help cover up the damp / ramp, might it sound smoother? And especially if the mute time can also be shrunk more than it is now.

Is the same amp block mute duration necessary when its type (or every setting) remains the same? Just wondering if a similar check could be of any benefit, and if it could yet checking all parameters isn't possible, how about only when type stays on a certain global number?

I guess ive been so used to having that little gap in my midi preamps for so long it never really bothered me to much. You would think if playing live the crazy amount of noise from the rest of the band members would cover up any gap /mute, between patches. I suppose if your a solo artist it be more of a problem. Nice to see there could be a solution to that issue in the axe fx coming down the pipeline in the near future.

FractalAudio said:
I've thought about doing this for a while but haven't gotten around to it. I'll be out of town for a few days but next week I'll look into not muting if the routing is unchanged. It shouldn't be that difficult. The grid is stored as part of the preset preamble. All I have to do is compare the grid of the new preset with the current preset. If nothing has changed then no need to mute.

that's like my dream come true! Then I wouldn't need to use so many IA switches. I could just set up a preset for every scenario I need. So badass cliff, thanks.

Couple questions. Is the mute intelligence that you're working on apply to each block individually when switching? For example, if I switch presets and only the amp blocks are different the amp briefly mutes, but the effects stay uninterupted? Or, If I switch presets and the amp is the same, but the effects have change the amp stays uninterupted and the effects have a brief mute? Am I getting this right? Only blocks that are changed have mutes applied to reload them or whatever it is that's going on? Just trying to get my head around how it will work exactly, thanks.

I hate to break this to you brothers, but there will not be a seamless, unnoticeable patch change that dutifully carries over delay, and reverb without complications. It's just not going to happen. You can do this will something like a Guitar Audio Switcher from Voodoo labs (where you can pull a delay unit in and out of the signal chain and have the delay trail off naturally into your next patch), but it will not happen with the Axe Fx Ultra, or Standard. That is what I was hoping for when I bought my Ultra (which I love and use above all else), but the Axe Fx units cannot do this.

Now, faster patch changing is always great, and necessary. I just think you're headed for disappointment if you think the spillover of delay and reverb will be easily implemented and seamless.

my $ 0.02

diggi said:
I hate to break this to you brothers, but there will not be a seamless, unnoticeable patch change that dutifully carries over delay, and reverb without complications. It's just not going to happen.
are you part of the engineering and developing team?

diggi.. people are missing the concept here so i dont blame you for saying that...

the idea is to have seamless transitions between VARIATIONS of the same patch

imagine you had patch 1.. a complex patch with 2 amps, delays, phaser, whatever

imagine you then copied that patch to spaces 2, 3, 4, 5 and then gave all of those different variations along the way..

there is no reloading required.. just changing of values like delay level, amp gain, pedal on/off..

guitar rig 3 does this beautifully ! you can really get crazy with your changes during a song as long as its all the same routing/components...

cliff knows what im talking about and this is what it looks like he might be implementing

deadletter said:
diggi.. people are missing the concept here so i dont blame you for saying that...

the idea is to have seamless transitions between VARIATIONS of the same patch

imagine you had patch 1.. a complex patch with 2 amps, delays, phaser, whatever

imagine you then copied that patch to spaces 2, 3, 4, 5 and then gave all of those different variations along the way..

there is no reloading required.. just changing of values like delay level, amp gain, pedal on/off..

guitar rig 3 does this beautifully ! you can really get crazy with your changes during a song as long as its all the same routing/components...

cliff knows what im talking about and this is what it looks like he might be implementing

Correct, this really doesn't have anything to do with spillover because if the routing is the same the reverb or delay take on the characteristics of the new delay or reverb not spillover to the next. However, if the delay/reverb you are coming from is the same as you are going to it will work pretty seamlessly and there shouldn't be any dropout when going from patch to patch (provided the amp model is the same as well). At least that is the way I am reading it.

Back
Top Bottom