My two favorite tricks i've found

fromthebark

Experienced
I usually like a low-med gain amp.. with something like a BB / AC in front to push it into sweet breakup..
The drive blocks always leave me confused underwhelmed, and stressed out.. I can never dial in the exact tone I am looking for, there's always an issue with a weird mid bump I can't seem to tame, so I figured I'd look elsewhere.

My two new favorite things to do is take an amp right on the edge of breakup.. currently a deluxe tweed into F011: BludoMix.. drive at about 2.9..
1) saturation switch On! Then put that knob somewhere between 2&4..and it's like the drive pedal I was always hoping for.
2) Compressor block.. Effect type 'Dynamics" (an option I haven't even seen until tonight!?) - Crank the dynamics up to like 6..

These are beautiful subtle changes to just push the amp over the edge into to the exact tone I hear in my head. Gritty, saturated, articulate..
I'm glad I am figuring out how to make the Axe FX work for me and put my personal spin on the zillions of possibilities inside here.

Thanks Cliff, you beautiful man you

I'll post this patch if anyone's interested, it rocks hard but with some volume knob rollback, can be quite versatile.

Interesting. I'll have to give this a try. Have you taken this approach with other amps?

It amazes me how each person takes different approaches to tone with the AxeFx. I love the variety and the endless possibilities!

Yea I've tried it with the badger 30 too and it rules. Also hooked up the sat switch to a pedal so I can kick it on like a drive. Well see what happens this Sunday when I put it to the test

I usually like a low-med gain amp.. with something like a BB / AC in front to push it into sweet breakup..
The drive blocks always leave me confused underwhelmed, and stressed out.. I can never dial in the exact tone I am looking for, there's always an issue with a weird mid bump I can't seem to tame, so I figured I'd look elsewhere.

My two new favorite things to do is take an amp right on the edge of breakup.. currently a deluxe tweed into F011: BludoMix.. drive at about 2.9..
1) saturation switch On! Then put that knob somewhere between 2&4..and it's like the drive pedal I was always hoping for.
2) Compressor block.. Effect type 'Dynamics" (an option I haven't even seen until tonight!?) - Crank the dynamics up to like 6..

These are beautiful subtle changes to just push the amp over the edge into to the exact tone I hear in my head. Gritty, saturated, articulate..
I'm glad I am figuring out how to make the Axe FX work for me and put my personal spin on the zillions of possibilities inside here.

Thanks Cliff, you beautiful man you

I'll post this patch if anyone's interested, it rocks hard but with some volume knob rollback, can be quite versatile.

I agree 100% - Cliff is awesome :)

I love using either the Sat switch, or the Input Trim/Boost. They really do drive many of the amps nicely. I've thought about setting up a switch for each of them.

I love using either the Sat switch, or the Input Trim/Boost. They really do drive many of the amps nicely. I've thought about setting up a switch for each of them.

I have the Input Trim set to a scene controller, which I vary from 0.5 to 2 depending on if I want pushed clean, driven or lead.
I usually dial the amp in with the Input Trim at 1.

Since doing this the only drive pedal I use is the FET Boost to push the amp more.

Great post thanks for sharing. Curious, have you tried the ZenMaster drive block? Boost the tone to about 7-8 and drive to about 5-6 to add some nice mid-gain. That's my go to drive block for just a mid-boost gain jump on most my presets. Plus it's what John Mayer uses so ya know ;) . Give it a shot especially in front of the Deluxe Tweed should add some nice breakup for that layout. I would be curious to see if that helps your on the fly boosting.

Here's my patch y'all

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8237775/RockinWitTheTweed.syx

I just am really enjoying the drive i'm getting from this vs. any of the drive pedals. I do like the zen master yes.. If I am going to use a drive it will be either that, the BB, or the SDD which I am just finding out recently is wonderful.

disregard the pitch/reso/reverb blocks down there.. was just working on a shimmer reverb and didn't finish it yet.

I have the Input Trim set to a scene controller, which I vary from 0.5 to 2 depending on if I want pushed clean, driven or lead.
I usually dial the amp in with the Input Trim at 1.
I do the same thing w/ an EXP pedal on a few of my presets, and my Wildcard IA switch on a couple as well.

weird, there are quite a few drives in the Axe that I think are great, including the AC and BB...they are my main drives...

I'm still a deep editing noob so I know this isn't really blowing a lot of you guys' minds or anything.. just saying it's really working for me and I'm glad I figured it out

I'm still a deep editing noob so I know this isn't really blowing a lot of you guys' minds or anything.. just saying it's really working for me and I'm glad I figured it out

that's that matters, what works for you and gets you the sound you are looking for!

Yea I've tried it with the badger 30 too and it rules. Also hooked up the sat switch to a pedal so I can kick it on like a drive. Well see what happens this Sunday when I put it to the test

Works incredibly well with the Dr. Z Hwy 66 too. Put an ACB in front as a boost for more crunch or solos. Killer tone!

What does g3ing the drive block entail? What should we expect to hear differently? Still using analog drive pedals though was hoping the drive block would get an upgrade to see if I can drop my pedals. Eta on that update?

Back
Top Bottom