My trip to Xitone Cabs

karmakarmakarma

Experienced
Sorry if this post runs long, but I thought my adventures with Xitone Cabs yesterday may be of interest to those looking at the different FRFR options available.

So, it turns out that I live reasonably close to Mick Farlow and Xitone Cabinets. I've been looking for some FRFR wedges, and after reading the many perspectives posted here and elsewhere, I was especially interested in the passive Xitone's.

I play guitar, bass and Chapman Stick, and was interested in the passive Xitone wedges for several reasons. I wanted to ultimately end up with a rig that would consist of my AxeFXII into my Matrix GT1000FX into passive FRFR wedges for guitar and Chapman Stick - or- AxeFXII to Matrix into my Acme LowB1 cabs for bass gigs. The passive Xitones are really reasonably priced and I liked the reports that said the Xitones sounded "guitar cab like" yet with plenty of high fidelity qualities.

First of all, let me say that Mick is one of the nicest people you will ever meet, and is a very smart and talented guy who is focused squarely on quality and customer service. In all communications and dealings with Mick, he has been totally GREAT.

Mick and I talked via email for a few weeks discussing his wedges and my goals. One of the things I wanted in a new FRFR was wide dispersion so that the wedge sounds more or less the same as you move around. Seeing that some other FRFR options have up to 90 degree dispersion, Mick and I decided to test his stock Eminence configuration wedges (coaxial) and to also test his wedges with some "higher end" coaxial drivers from Beyma and B&C. Specifically, we planned to test additional drivers with specs that called for 85 to 90 degree dispersion.

I had the chance to spend some time on Saturday with Mick, and without going into all of the details of every little thing that happened, let me give you a summary of the day...

Mick had several of his wedges on hand in a space that is large and acoustically treated ( a great sounding space). His stock Eminence configuration wedge was totally passive with no additional treatment of any kind: we simply plugged it directly into one channel of my Matrix. We set the other channel of the Matrix to drive the wedge with the "high end" driver. Mick had already run tests on the "high end" driver wedges, and using his reference mic and DSP had dialed them in to be flat (+/- 2.5db across the spectrum). For testing, I sent a mono signal from the AxeFXII to both channels of the Matrix. So we had his stock wedge sitting next to a wedge that was measured and set flat with DSP.

Now the results... In a word, I was blown away with the sound of these wedges in general. The frequency response was wide and very pleasant with no harshness at all. Best of all, they really did have the punch of a nice closed back cab and felt alive and dynamic. One wedge sounded awesome (and loud). Two sounded absolutely huge. As others have said, it was very much that "amp in the room" feeling. For reference, I've been playing/gigging for decades and my physical amps are Marshall, ENGL, Bogner, and THD so I know the sound of a good guitar amp.

The big surprise for me was how closely Mick's standard, totally passive, Eminence configuration sounded to the "high end" drivers that were dialed in perfectly flat with DSP. Honestly, there was no meaningful difference in low end, the smoothness of the highs AND the dispersion. I could easily move 45+ degees off axis to either side with no significant difference in what I was hearing. The Beyma driver may have been a few degrees wider in dispersion, but it was nearly unnoticeable. Mick's standard Eminence based design had MUCH BETTER dispersion than I ever imagined. It was not at all like moving around in front of a normal closed back guitar cab. Afterward, Mick said that he and several of his guitar playing friends had come to the same conclusions when they tested earlier in the week.

Moving on... The build quality of the wedges is great. The wedges we tested were not yet finished with Mick's LineX coating so I could see the joint work. All high quality joints (rabbits, spline joints, dados, etc.). This is a really rigid wedge that's built like a tank.

After I was finished with my guitar testing (a bunch of clean to heavy tones), I moved on to my Chapman Stick (which is a full range instrument with roughly the frequency range of a 4 String Bass through the top end of a guitar). The Xitones handled the Stick will no issue at all and the lowest notes sounded clear and clean with good fundamentals.

Next, for fun we pumped some prerecorded music through the Xitones (Neal Morse, Ozric Tentacles, King's X, etc.). The wedges had a ton of punch and a solid low end. The kick had a nice thump without being boomy and the highs were smooth.

All in all, yesterday was a blast. Mick is such a great guy to hang out with and is very enthusiastic about his cabs/wedges and his business. He's really got his standard Eminence based wedge dialed in. This thing punches way above its weight class. Can't wait until they are completed and show up at my door. To be clear, I'm not associated with Xitone or Mick in any way and I'm paying full retail and shipping for everything. They are just great FRFR wedges and I'm excited to have found them.

Peace,
Mark

Great review Mark, thanks for sharing your insights! :) Since it's FRFR I assume you were you running cab sims and amp sims on?

Thanks for the review.

I'm thinking of replacing my older atomic reactor passive cabs with Xitone passive cabs.

What did you think of the difference between the 1-12 and 2-12 models through a Matrix amp?

Do you know if the 1-12 square cabs have a kickstand like the 2-12s do?

Thanks for the review.
I'm thinking of replacing my older atomic reactor passive cabs with Xitone passive cabs.
What did you think of the difference between the 1-12 and 2-12 models through a Matrix amp?

We only tested 1-12 cabs since that's what I was interested in. Mick should probably weigh in on what he hears as a difference in tone between the two.

I can tell you that a single 1-12 cab was very loud, and two of the 1-12 cabs was simply a bigger, louder version of the same sound. Assuming that he tunes the 2-12 cabs to be flat like the 1-12 cabs, my guess is that a 2-12 would be similar to two 1-12 cabs sitting next to each other... but again, Mick should weigh in here.

Spreading the two 1-12 cabs a few feet apart was glorious for a big stereo field.

As far as a kickstand goes, based on my dealings with Mick I think you'd just have to ask and he'd find a way to do it.

Peace,
Mark

Sorry if this post runs long, but I thought my adventures with Xitone Cabs yesterday may be of interest to those looking at the different FRFR options available.

So, it turns out that I live reasonably close to Mick Farlow and Xitone Cabinets. I've been looking for some FRFR wedges, and after reading the many perspectives posted here and elsewhere, I was especially interested in the passive Xitone's.

I play guitar, bass and Chapman Stick, and was interested in the passive Xitone wedges for several reasons. I wanted to ultimately end up with a rig that would consist of my AxeFXII into my Matrix GT1000FX into passive FRFR wedges for guitar and Chapman Stick - or- AxeFXII to Matrix into my Acme LowB1 cabs for bass gigs. The passive Xitones are really reasonably priced and I liked the reports that said the Xitones sounded "guitar cab like" yet with plenty of high fidelity qualities.

First of all, let me say that Mick is one of the nicest people you will ever meet, and is a very smart and talented guy who is focused squarely on quality and customer service. In all communications and dealings with Mick, he has been totally GREAT.

Mick and I talked via email for a few weeks discussing his wedges and my goals. One of the things I wanted in a new FRFR was wide dispersion so that the wedge sounds more or less the same as you move around. Seeing that some other FRFR options have up to 90 degree dispersion, Mick and I decided to test his stock Eminence configuration wedges (coaxial) and to also test his wedges with some "higher end" coaxial drivers from Beyma and B&C. Specifically, we planned to test additional drivers with specs that called for 85 to 90 degree dispersion.

I had the chance to spend some time on Saturday with Mick, and without going into all of the details of every little thing that happened, let me give you a summary of the day...

Mick had several of his wedges on hand in a space that is large and acoustically treated ( a great sounding space). His stock Eminence configuration wedge was totally passive with no additional treatment of any kind: we simply plugged it directly into one channel of my Matrix. We set the other channel of the Matrix to drive the wedge with the "high end" driver. Mick had already run tests on the "high end" driver wedges, and using his reference mic and DSP had dialed them in to be flat (+/- 2.5db across the spectrum). For testing, I sent a mono signal from the AxeFXII to both channels of the Matrix. So we had his stock wedge sitting next to a wedge that was measured and set flat with DSP.

Now the results... In a word, I was blown away with the sound of these wedges in general. The frequency response was wide and very pleasant with no harshness at all. Best of all, they really did have the punch of a nice closed back cab and felt alive and dynamic. One wedge sounded awesome (and loud). Two sounded absolutely huge. As others have said, it was very much that "amp in the room" feeling. For reference, I've been playing/gigging for decades and my physical amps are Marshall, ENGL, Bogner, and THD so I know the sound of a good guitar amp.

The big surprise for me was how closely Mick's standard, totally passive, Eminence configuration sounded to the "high end" drivers that were dialed in perfectly flat with DSP. Honestly, there was no meaningful difference in low end, the smoothness of the highs AND the dispersion. I could easily move 45+ degees off axis to either side with no significant difference in what I was hearing. The Beyma driver may have been a few degrees wider in dispersion, but it was nearly unnoticeable. Mick's standard Eminence based design had MUCH BETTER dispersion than I ever imagined. It was not at all like moving around in front of a normal closed back guitar cab. Afterward, Mick said that he and several of his guitar playing friends had come to the same conclusions when they tested earlier in the week.

Moving on... The build quality of the wedges is great. The wedges we tested were not yet finished with Mick's LineX coating so I could see the joint work. All high quality joints (rabbits, spline joints, dados, etc.). This is a really rigid wedge that's built like a tank.

After I was finished with my guitar testing (a bunch of clean to heavy tones), I moved on to my Chapman Stick (which is a full range instrument with roughly the frequency range of a 4 String Bass through the top end of a guitar). The Xitones handled the Stick will no issue at all and the lowest notes sounded clear and clean with good fundamentals.

Next, for fun we pumped some prerecorded music through the Xitones (Neal Morse, Ozric Tentacles, King's X, etc.). The wedges had a ton of punch and a solid low end. The kick had a nice thump without being boomy and the highs were smooth.

All in all, yesterday was a blast. Mick is such a great guy to hang out with and is very enthusiastic about his cabs/wedges and his business. He's really got his standard Eminence based wedge dialed in. This thing punches way above its weight class. Can't wait until they are completed and show up at my door. To be clear, I'm not associated with Xitone or Mick in any way and I'm paying full retail and shipping for everything. They are just great FRFR wedges and I'm excited to have found them.

Peace,
Mark

Thanks Mark! It was great to hook up! On top of all the good tone you also managed to have some of the best BBQ in the world!!!!!!

I'll post the frequency response graphs of how flat the Beyma was later tonight.
Thanks for the review.

Yes the 1x12 cabs do have the kickstand.

Also, nothing beats a stereo pair of 1x12's except a pair of 2x12's in stereo! A little separation for good stereo imaging is awesome! :ugeek

I got 2 active wedges from Mick, and they are wonderful

Thanks Brad!!!!

So, as promised, here is the frequency response graph for the Beyma with the DSP in the chain:

BeymaEQ_zps5e6bf006.jpg

Granted, an FR plot is only one measurement, in time, in a particular room and there are many other factors but by and large, this will give you an overall idea.

Mark/Mick,
Did you guys do a compare of Eminence vs. Beyma (or B&C) with music?
Just curious if you may have heard more of difference with full range music (as oppose to just guitar tones), when comparing the speakers.

If you did, can you describe in more detail what differences you may have heard?
(more low end?, more mid range focus?, smoother top end?, fuller overall tone sound?)

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks - Jay

Mark/Mick,
Just curious if you may have heard more of difference with full range music (as oppose to just guitar tones), when comparing the speakers.

If you did, can you describe in more detail what differences you may have heard?
(more low end?, more mid range focus?, smoother top end?, fuller overall tone sound?)

Thanks - Jay

Hey BBN!

I'll let Mark speak for his impressions but on a technical level, the music test we did that was referenced above was with a XiTone passive on one side and the DSP enhanced Beyma on the other side.

Thanks,

Mick

Mark/Mick,

Thanks - Jay

Hi Jay.

As Mick said, the music test was with an Eminence wedge on one side and the DSP/flat Beyma wedge on the other. We had the two cabs roughly 10 feet apart. My impression again was that there was no meaningful difference in the two. The music we played through them was loud, and both sounded punchy and clear with pleasant highs.

Overall, I'm sure that Mick would build me a couple of wedges with the Beymas or other high-end drivers if I asked him to. But since his standard configuration sounded identical compared to a wedge with high-end drivers that were dialed in flat with DSP, I'm going to save the cost difference and go with the Eminence based design.

I went into this really expecting to hear a big difference, especially in the smoothness of the highs and in dispersion... it just wasn't there.

Hope that helps,
Mark

Great review, Mark! Thanks for taking the time to share.

I completely agree with you about these things you stated in your post:

• First of all, let me say that Mick is one of the nicest people you will ever meet, and is a very smart and talented guy who is focused squarely on quality and customer service. In all communications and dealings with Mick, he has been totally GREAT. Mick is the epitome of how a small business should be run. Outstanding customer service, very driven to put out the best product he can for a great price, and understands how important customer communication is. I simply cannot overstate this. Mick GETS IT.
  • Mick's standard Eminence based design had MUCH BETTER dispersion than I ever imagined. This is exactly what I experienced as well when I did my passive CLR/passive XiTone comparison a few months back. I was really surprised how close the dispersion of the XiTone was to the CLR.
  • The build quality of the wedges is great. The wedges we tested were not yet finished with Mick's LineX coating so I could see the joint work. All high quality joints (rabbits, spline joints, dados, etc.). This is a really rigid wedge that's built like a tank. This was another area where I felt the XiTone was hands down better than any other FRFR solution I've tried. If I was a gigging musician, there would be no question. Absolutely XiTone.

Thanks Mark! It was great to hook up! On top of all the good tone you also managed to have some of the best BBQ in the world!!!!!!

Now, Mick is not without his faults, as he is CLEARLY confused about where the best BBQ in the world comes from, which of course is the BBQ Capital of the World, Kansas City, Missouri. ;):mrgreen

Now, Mick is not without his faults, as he is CLEARLY confused about where the best BBQ in the world comes from, which of course is the BBQ Capital of the World, Kansas City, Missouri. ;):mrgreen

You make a good point here. Kansas City BBQ would clearly be the best if you simply changed the way it is cooked, worked on the flavor and texture of the meat, completely re-worked the sauce and moved the whole thing to North Carolina. :)

You make a good point here. Kansas City BBQ would clearly be the best if you simply changed the way it is cooked, worked on the flavor and texture of the meat, completely re-worked the sauce and moved the whole thing to North Carolina. :)

LOL! :lol

You Carolina boys are just delusional. That's all I got to say about that. ;)

As a native of Texas, I'm happy to see this thread derailed in such a constructive way. Not sure what the hype about Kansas City and North Carolina is all about in this context though:)

I'm definitely happy with my Xitone passive 2x12s. Looking forward to getting an active 1x12 wedge soon.

As a native of Texas, I'm happy to see this thread derailed in such a constructive way. Not sure what the hype about Kansas City and North Carolina is all about in this context though:)

I am from NY, live in santo domingo but lived in san antonio for 2 years. I tend to agree. Texas BBQ is my fave. I do have to say the most decadent and unhealthy but delicious BBQ was a Burnt End sandwich in KC. Picture all the bark and fat cut off a beef brisket, slap that on some bread and add sauce. Ranking BBQ:

1- texas
2- brasil
3-KC
4- memphis

I try and make a run to lockhart to eat some beef ribs and brisket at Blacks whenever I can. Sundays with live western swing is the best.

Back on topic. . . . .lol Mick Is a great guy and provides great customer service. Took care of some minor issues on my wedges. I have two blonde wedges with eminence drivers. If I ver build my "rig of death" I may need 2 1x12s and am glad to see they have kick stands!!!

Back
Top Bottom