My Quick Guide to where to start with FW v.17

Thank you for your interpretation and your personal impressions of these updates. Reading these kinds of post helps me to begin wrapping my brain around these concepts that are new for me and that I'm still trying to learn. Very helpful!

I'll do a video soon on it, but I suspect others will beat me to the punch. Strum a chord and see where it hits. Just make very preset the same - not the peaks, but the RMS - the norm volume (where it is most of the time if that doesn't makes sense). You set it with the A knob (assuming you use one amp block in your presets), you *save* the preset after and that's that. Repeat for all your presets.

Best way to check is to play through your presets and see if they are all relatively similar to each other in volume.

More of a starting point to get you out of the gate, but the intent is to take sophisticated things and simplify it for people to get rolling. As always, these are just my personal suggested starting points and nothing more.

Just trying to help and nothing more.

Thanks, Scott. Any idea how this functions (if at all) with scenes?

So this is probably since I've never used one before but how to you set the drive and the saturation on the mic preamps in the cab blocks? I'm assuming there's some rules to this haha. Any general rules of thumb so I know I'm working with this right. Thanks.

When you guys talk about setting your presets to zero, what does that mean exactly? Are we talking about having the volume in the amp block that we all use to adjust volume set to zero?

Thanks, Scott, for the heads up. I don't think I would have picked up on these preamp settings, on my own.

The Cab Preamp settings you steered us toward are magic, except that I've mostly left the EQ settings zeroed out, except on a couple of amps. These settings really do bring a magic into the tone - very noticeable, with and without - probably as much as the UR cabs. They add polish, but keep dynamics and grit; they bring a "realness" into the tone.

I haven't figured out what "aliasing" is, yet, but I'll look into it. Hey, I'm just a guitar player....

The Dynamics tab in the Amp Block allows you to do unreal things that real amps cannot do; but added/utilized with some restraint and common sense - they sound amazingly organic. This is crazy stuff - it's dynamic EQ that you can use to either boost or cut dynamically (how hard you play) that does NOT add any distortion. EQ without distortion is a very slick DAW mixing tool that I've never seen in a standalone guitar processor; it's very cool. Center it at 700hz and do a mid-boost of about +0.50; leave the Q at the stock setting. Try it. Now do a cut by adjusting the amount to a negative amount. Mid-cut (scoop). High gainers... check that!

This might be a stupid question, but I don't understand where to do the

"700hz and do a mid-boost of about +0.50; leave the Q at the stock setting"

in the dynamic page .. :)

These new preamp strips will get us even closer to VH1, now, more than ever!

Actually started using them as outboard Aux sends on some mixes, to warm-up tones that needed a bit of magic powder.

Quite a feet indeed to include these strips in the magic Black box!

Does anyone know if there's a 1073 included in those strips? I would assume they would be difficult to come by...

After having some time to mess with the various pre-amps after reading your starter suggestions, I'm now in one of these "how did I get along without this" situations! Tonal steroids!

Cliff said he didn't really feel like telling us what the mic pres were. I think that's kind of a shame because I'm planning on using them as vocal pres. I'm not "chasing tones" as cliff said. I just need to know what I'm plugging my mics into.

Cliff said he didn't really feel like telling us what the mic pres were. I think that's kind of a shame because I'm planning on using them as vocal pres. I'm not "chasing tones" as cliff said. I just need to know what I'm plugging my mics into.

Ok, thanks for the info.

Thanks Scott, I've always found your recommendations to be dead on.

This might be a stupid question, but I don't understand where to do the

"700hz and do a mid-boost of about +0.50; leave the Q at the stock setting"

in the dynamic page .. :)

I don't see it either. On front panel, there's a "dyn Eq" tab in the amp block which has
dyn depth
dyn pres
char type
char freq
char q
char amt

The first two I don't see anywhere in Axe edit, and the last 4 are in the tone tab in axe edit (thought char type is a blank drop down menu).

Thanks Scott, I've always found your recommendations to be dead on.

I don't see it either. On front panel, there's a "dyn Eq" tab in the amp block which has
dyn depth
dyn pres
char type
char freq
char q
char amt

The first two I don't see anywhere in Axe edit, and the last 4 are in the tone tab in axe edit (thought char type is a blank drop down menu).

The first two are in the basic tab in AE

Back
Top Bottom