My problem is getting worse

SparkyG

Experienced
I posted on this before, but it didn't happen often.
Last nights gig I had strange occurrences about 5 times, and it really screwed up a few songs.

Set up simple, axe, 10.02' MFC connected using cat5 and a boss volume pedal mostly fully on. Don't use axe edit. I use the reveal button to enable the first 5 IAs to switch scenes.

Problem is definatly around the changing of patches, scenes and possibly the tap tempo. Sometimes, when i change a patch and engage scenes which defaults to scene 1 the patch volume is really loud till I hit scene 1 again. Other times like last night I get no volume till I hit 1 again.
Our band is a slick act where there is no noodling or sound between songs, so I have to be confident when selecting a patch/scene that its going to put out what it should. Last night is totally screwed up one song that we had to restart. The drums started ,then it goes into guitar. On cue, I play, no sound. Had to re hit scene 1.

Could this be hardware related? BTW, it doesn't seem to be one patch in particular and I have been having the problem on and off since scenes was Introduced.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Not really sure what might cause this but you definitely should update your firmware, 10.02 is not up to date anymore. Is the firmware on your MFC up to date?

This worries me a bit, since im about to order a MFC soon.
I get a feeling that the problem lies with the MFC?

Anyway, sorry to hear this. Fractal makes really awsome gear and it has to work flawless in live-situation, all though some problems might occur on some units.

As mentioned in the post before me, you should update the unit (and the MFC too if its not up to date) and please give us feedback.

MFC is up to date.

Odd problem seems to be getting worse without changing FW. I don't think 10.05 will fix it but I plan on doing the upgrade this week.

Been using fractal for last 4-5 years, not seen this before scenes introduced.
Maybe it is a HW issue, maybe some bad memory.

By the way, have you tried replacing the CAT5 cable or connecting via MIDI to ensure that you dont have anything wierd going on with your cable?

I had a similar issue when I first upgraded to V 10. I wasn't using the MFC at the time. I've since upgraded to 10.05 and started using the MFC and have yet to experience it again.

Can you post one of the presets that's having this issue ?
While I haven't gigged much with the MFC/Axe-II lately (mostly playing bass these days) I do test it quite a bit at home (being a Beta Tester and all that) and have not experienced any issue like this while testing. None of the Beta team has reported anything like this AFAIK.
Since scenes can store different output level settings it's possible that these may have been messed up if you used AE to edit/save presets. I would revisit my output levels on the preset and confirm that.
And, make sure you are on the latest MFC firmware 2.17

also...
Preset scene - Axe-Fx II Wiki
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...d-wiki-15-psi-preset-scene-investigation.html

I have a few ideas about this.

One would be that you have a non-Axe-Fx IA Switch sending some kind of MIDI Message causing the problem.
Please post your IA settings?

The second is that you may have a spillover problem happening. This can occur, for instance, when changing from a preset with the delay mix low and input gain high to one with the delay mix high and input gain low.

Matt, the only thing I have set up is an external switch into 1&2 on the MFC switching the harmonies on, on my digitech vocaliser. Not sure of what c&c it is, but I send it out of the axe FX on channel 2 vir midi through. Whr problem is not tied to use of the external switch. I,was having the problem prior to integration of the vocaliser,

Will check the c&c numbers and let you know tomorrow

Thanks

I had similar problems... The 10.05 update fixed them all.

The only thing that worked for me was to go back to 10.00 - I've had the same issue(s)... I also have several posts about this over the past month or two but it doesn't seem to get much traction into investigating as an actual "issue" revolving around firmware. I immediately started having the problems when I first went to 10.04 - it *really* made my first gig with 10.04 a wonderful exercise in volume unpredictability. Rolled it back to 10.00 so I could gig the next night and no problems. Did several more gigs at 10.00 and no issues. After reading a number of posts that 10.05 fixed everything (even though there was nothing in the release notes eluding to any fixes related to the random volume jump issue), I went ahead and updated. Used it at rehearsal on 10.05 - same issue as with 10.04. Went through all kinds of stuff trying to isolate the combination of elements that make it happen but since it's my gig machine, I simply don't have the time to sit and troubleshoot for hours - I really just need it to work. Rolled it back to 10.00 and that's where I'm staying for the foreseeable future or until a FW release actually shows the issue as being fixed. Btw - I never did try 10.02 - went straight from 10.00 to 10.04

Settings update,
I have the following settings on my MFC, latest FW, at least the settings I think relevant.

axFX. Ch1
total sync on
midi Rx chan off
RXpC off
XS1 #028 ch12 type HDW
XS1 off 000 on 127
XP1 #011 ch01 Beg Pdl
XP1 min 094 max 124

Hope this helps tracking down the problem.

I can relate as I had a similar experience yesterday. Halfway through a prominent, repeating guitar line, my MFC/Axe went into tuner mode for no reason...silence. Argh! So frustrating.

Settings update,
I have the following settings on my MFC, latest FW, at least the settings I think relevant.

axFX. Ch1
total sync on
midi Rx chan off
RXpC off
XS1 #028 ch12 type HDW
XS1 off 000 on 127
XP1 #011 ch01 Beg Pdl
XP1 min 094 max 124

Hope this helps tracking down the problem.

I'd remove the Vol Pedal temporarily. Or set it to a specific value to prevent polling.
Just for debugging purposes.

The harmonizer is on channel 2 or 12?

I had a problem with "NO VOLUME" on 2 presets I created in v9.02, when first accessing these 2 presets after an initial power-up. The problem started with v10 and 10.05 didn't fix it either. The problem I was having was that even though I had programmed Amp1X to be on for scene 1, the Y-axis would be accessed, the first time I went to a preset (with scene 1 loading automatcally), but then if I left the preset and came back to it a second time, I had sound (amp1x would be active, as I intended). Since I only had 2 presets causing me this issue, I deleted them and recreated them. But you should try to delete your amp block, and save the preset with the amp block gone and no shunts passing through. Yes, this is a completely unusable preset. After you save the preset, restore it to operation by adding the amp block back in, and rebuilt your amp sound by using the same tone and advanced settings that were there before you deleted it. Or you could try to select the amp, and double click the bypass button on the front panel to return the Amp block to default.

The other suspicion I had was along the lines YEK suggested - that this had to do with pedal position polling or not polling. The fact that you have a volume pedal 3/4 of the way instead of full, could be interpreted differently by different amp models that are recalled in your scenes. But that is just a hunch. It could be a 1,000 things. That's what makes Bugs so buggy.

I'd remove the Vol Pedal temporarily. Or set it to a specific value to prevent polling.
Just for debugging purposes.

The harmonizer is on channel 2 or 12?

Harmoniser is on channel12, mis typed in the first post, sorry.

Back
Top Bottom