My new go to when recording vocal

d2dark

Inspired
I'm a professional live sound guy that also play guitar fun in a cover band and also do recording to play around with gear, I'm now a big fan of the Specter Sound Studio youtube channel and when it's time to record vocals, Glenn like to use his good old Distressor in the incoming signal chain, the Distressor is a really good comp that stay transparent in almost any situation and can't really screw up the sound. I give the idea a try. At first with a BSS DPR-402 compressor, it's was ok but nowhere close to what a Distressor or La2a or 1176 can do. A ili disappointed, I remove the analog comp of the chain and try the comp block... I was just blowned away! Even with 18Db of compression, I had a usable, clean, non squashed signal! With almost no background noise.
The axe is now my new gold channel when it's time to record vocals, I drop my mic pre direct into the axe with a comp block and rock the living shit out of it! It's just so killer, you should give it a try.

I'm a professional live sound guy that also play guitar fun in a cover band and also do recording to play around with gear, I'm now a big fan of the Specter Sound Studio youtube channel and when it's time to record vocals, Glenn like to use his good old Distressor in the incoming signal chain, the Distressor is a really good comp that stay transparent in almost any situation and can't really screw up the sound. I give the idea a try. At first with a BSS DPR-402 compressor, it's was ok but nowhere close to what a Distressor or La2a or 1176 can do. A ili disappointed, I remove the analog comp of the chain and try the comp block... I was just blowned away! Even with 18Db of compression, I had a usable, clean, non squashed signal! With almost no background noise.
The axe is now my new gold channel when it's time to record vocals, I drop my mic pre direct into the axe with a comp block and rock the living shit out of it! It's just so killer, you should give it a try.

Can you detail more the I/O chain and maybe post a vocal patch?

Can you detail more the I/O chain and maybe post a vocal patch?

It's was mic pre > axe input > USB. Only used the comp block.
Set the threshold to desired compression 2:1 ratio, attack and release to what's feel good to tempo.
Really basic.

I'm sure there are better ways to do this but here is a rough template for running 4 mics

Scene1 - Straight
Scene2 - Slapback Delay (doubling)
Scene3 - Reverb
Scene4 - Delay + Reverb

Haven't had time to toss compressor blocks in, will do that for our leads on lines 1 & 4. The GEQ/PEQ blocks don't do anything at this time either, they were just added if wanted to tweak an individual mic later and have not gotten that far yet. Maybe we could be blessed with 2 additional compressor blocks in the future :encouragement:

I would be very interested in seeing what others do when using the AxeFx for vocals.

Cheers

I would be interested to see what I can do on a live setup with it.
it has more then decent verb and delay, chorus is great too!
can do a nice replacement for old M-One. and I skip all the wicked harmonizer and modulation possibility.
cliff should give that market a try!

That's cool. The EL8 Distressor is one of my favorites! I've owned two of them and love them to death. Also consider using a clean setting on a tube pre (Amp block) to add some harmonic distortion. And then there is the "Tape" Drive type. One of the great features of the EL8 is it's 2nd and 3rd order harmonics emulations, and then there is the NUKE setting, which is an excellent brick wall limiter.

I think you can get a lot of mileage out of the AxeFx with vocals. It's like the ultimate (mixdown) insert strip for just about anything you can think of.

I'll give it a try on my next session, I'll try to get everything done with the axe!
we'll see what's happen

Back
Top Bottom