My latest recording/mix endeavor: A Killswitch Engage cover.

metalxguy

Okay so my latest self-studio challenge I wanted to try was to achieve that huge and heavy recording sound Adam D. and Andy Sneap achieved with KSE's End Of Heartache cd. So although I'm pretty sure the guitars on that cd we're a combination of the Framus Dragon head and a 5150. I worked with what the Axe Fx had to gain the closest tone, and just an overall huge tone reminiscent of a KSE recording in general. So without making this sound identical to the record itself, it has that feel about it and I think the mix came out quite well.

Here's the link for you to listen.

http://soundcloud.com/metalxguy/rose-of-sharyn-cover-music

The guitars were quad tracked, with the second of each rhythm on each side much less mixed in volume compared to the other. The main amp on each side is a rectifier with the T808 drive in the chain. then when i went back to double track each the left and right side, I used the 5150 with the drive in the chain. I believe both we're being fed through rectifier cabinets with 57's on them.
Drums are superior, bass is a fender squire jazz bass direct through a sans amp.

Lemme know what any of you think! Thoughts and opinions welcome!

Dammmnnn. Sounds super close! Good work man, KSE version sounds like it has just a little more lows. But man that's a killer cover!

Awesome fidelity. Very very good. Riffs are not bad, but nice n chunky! No solo? And please, no death metal nonsense screaming... don't ruin it :)

Hey prometh, just filling you in, this song is a cover of a Killswitch Engage song. I didn't write it and their song has singing and screaming on it, they're a metal and hardcore band so our version will be a vocalist doing the same. You can youtube the song "Rose Of Sharyn" if you want to hear the original.

Great job! I really like KSE and you've done the song well. Look forward to hearing the version with vocals when it's ready.

Back
Top Bottom