My III sounds different day to day...?

Dvenci

Hey guys,

I'm having a little issue with my Axe FX III rig, (AFX/Studio Monitors) My high gain tones sound great one day and the next day, the same tone, will sound choked... like it doesn't ring as long... it feels harder to play too. Instead of really liquid-y it's more stiff and choked. No changes to the rig or preset though. Then the next day it'll sound great again.

Any idea what the issue could be? Could it just be my ears? LOL

Thanks for any insight.

Bad cable?

An issue like this is hard to diagnose. My axe doesn’t change day to day. It’s likely yours isn’t either. It could be a midi command, a setting you’re changing but not realizing, or just your perception like you said.

Do you notice this happening across more than 1 guitar? Or is it always the same guitar you experience this with?

In my experience with modelers it's always the analog components of the signal chain that inject some randomness - if not the cable, I'd suspect the guitar's wiring and pickups. Possibly some days they're picking up more RFI from the environment that interferes with the signal, or maybe there's some old soldering that needs sprucing up - it's hard to say.

Do you notice this happening across more than 1 guitar? Or is it always the same guitar you experience this with?

In my experience with modelers it's always the analog components of the signal chain that inject some randomness - if not the cable, I'd suspect the guitar's wiring and pickups. Possibly some days they're picking up more RFI from the environment that interferes with the signal, or maybe there's some old soldering that needs sprucing up - it's hard to say.
It's across many guitars. I thought the same thing about more RFI in the environment some days... but it's just a theory, I guess.

You may not believe me, but I have felt exactly the same for a long time. More guitars, more cables .... after a few hours of practice, it happens. I thought it was hearing fatigue. So, I'm not alone in this :)
I only write it as an experience, but I can't advise you

Your going to hate this answer but it could be your ears that are actually changing depending or the day
humidity fatigue etc etc
as bubba said recording would be best option to see if we can hear and audible diffrence
this has been my experience, both with the fractal gear I've owned and the real amps I used to play through

It’s your ears and it happens to everyone.

But I often wonder, do I sound good objectively and have days when I just think I sound bad, or do I actually sound like crap and delude myself that on the days I sound good?
If you are having a good time playing being inspired, you sounds good regardless ;-)

Someday, when I am doubting or not feeling it, it doesn't matter how good it sounds to others.

It’s your ears and it happens to everyone.
Sad but true, from weather to your diet, your hearing can change. Also, sitting in front of screaming speakers while you dial in tones can put them in a state that they aren't in when you return to your patch later.

But I often wonder, do I sound good objectively and have days when I just think I sound bad, or do I actually sound like crap and delude myself that on the days I sound good?

Is that zebra white with black stripes or black with white stripes? hahahaha, boy can I relate

Hey guys,

I'm having a little issue with my Axe FX III rig, (AFX/Studio Monitors) My high gain tones sound great one day and the next day, the same tone, will sound choked... like it doesn't ring as long... it feels harder to play too. Instead of really liquid-y it's more stiff and choked. No changes to the rig or preset though. Then the next day it'll sound great again.

Any idea what the issue could be? Could it just be my ears? LOL

Thanks for any insight.
What's your signal chain?

This may be easily overlooked, but everything always sounds WAYYYYYY (Emphasize on WAYYYYYYYYYYY) better louder. Again this may be easily overlooked but it's such a crucial concept to understand with the fractal units.

Back
Top Bottom