My FW11.03 High Gain tones sound weird with FW12…?

jalonhall

Inspired
Hey guys:

About 30 minutes ago I updated to FW12. I took a quick tour through some of my patches that I had intensively tweaked with FW11.03 and I noticed that all of my High Gain patches sounded incredibly honky and lack the punch and clarity that they had with FW11.03. I am actually just wondering what major changes were made with the update that may have caused the drastic changes. For example… one of my main Das Metall patch (with a T808 boost in front, and PEQ blocks after the cabs) sounds really muffled, quieter, and I can't seem to dial out the bad spot. I quickly glanced at the Release Notes and noticed that there were some changes made with the Drive pedals and whatnot, but I'm not sure where the weird artifacts are originating from. Has anyone else noticed some similar drastic changes with their high gain patches…? Or any patches in general? I'm just wondering if I missed something in the release notes about the Amp models like Das Metall, Fas Modern, etc. , the PEQ blocks, or stock cabs.

Thanks in advance;)

I have uploaded my main high gain rhythm patch if any of you would like to check it out and see what I'm talking about:) If you've already updated to FW12 then you probably won't have a good reference of what it sounded like with 11.03...but let me know if anything jumps out at you as being a possible cause of the difference I'm hearing. Thanx

Attachments

• DAS Metall FW11.03.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
LOL now I feel like a douche because I have posted this in two different threads now however you are suffering from the issue I had.

All my metal high gain patches sounded like garbage in ver 12 until I went to the amp "other" tab and switched the setting from "Authentic" to smooth.

This made a huge difference for me. The patch power came back with greater clarity.

Again this only seemed to help high gain patches as "smooth" made my rock patches sound synthetic.

Also I found cranking my actual volume (not MV) made more of a difference than in the past.

Good luck and sorry everyone for the redundancy. I assumed other metal players would have the same issue and I want to help.

BTW Das Metal was the first patch I had issues with and I mini freaked like you did. It sounds awesome for me now.

u guys are scaring the shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh+t out of me, will try in next few minutes; did u do the reset everything button after the update?

Issues with my high gain patches also after the update to FW12..some of them sound boomy, and huge volume drops on quite a few of them.

I know this probably is not ideal for you guys since you don't want to have to adjust your settings but resetting the amp block fixed everything for me. Of course you have to do this for every preset.

u guys are scaring the shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh+t out of me, will try in next few minutes; did u do the reset everything button after the update?

Haha don't be scurd:) I have no doubt in my mind that I can do some tweaking and get even better tones that I could ever imagine. I just really spend a lot of time changing things, trying different approaches with my tones in my mixes and getting them perfect for what I do. Thinking back...I was devastated when I first updated to FW10 but after I adapted to the changes it ended up blowing my mind! So I'm sure we will all end up with muuuuch better tones with fw12 for sure… we will just have to do some tweaking and continue to grow along with this amazing device;)

For what its worth… I think the main thing that is making my patches sound different is the Drive block. I generally keep my t808 block with Drive: 0, Level: 8 and Tone: 8.5-9.5 (Which is unusually high for most people, but it works for me) I tend to use the Tone setting on the Drive to bring out more of the highs and junk and compensate my keeping the Treble and Presence to a moderate level on the Amp settings. I think the precision that they have added to the Drive pedals may be some of my issue. Also, I don't generally keep my Amp Master Level settings at the default/suggested settings. I tend to crank the Master a little bit more and compensate by lowering the levels of my cabs. So maybe some of that could have to do with the volume changes. I'll have to do some tweaking to find out. But for now… I reinstalled FW11.03 since I am in the middle of some projects at the moment and don't want to re-track any guitars. But I will definitely be reinstalling 12 soon and doing some more tweaking.

Haha don't be scurd:) I have no doubt in my mind that I can do some tweaking and get even better tones that I could ever imagine. I just really spend a lot of time changing things, trying different approaches with my tones in my mixes and getting them perfect for what I do. Thinking back...I was devastated when I first updated to FW10 but after I adapted to the changes it ended up blowing my mind! So I'm sure we will all end up with muuuuch better tones with fw12 for sure… we will just have to do some tweaking and continue to grow along with this amazing device;)

For what its worth… I think the main thing that is making my patches sound different is the Drive block. I generally keep my t808 block with Drive: 0, Level: 8 and Tone: 8.5-9.5 (Which is unusually high for most people, but it works for me) I tend to use the Tone setting on the Drive to bring out more of the highs and junk and compensate my keeping the Treble and Presence to a moderate level on the Amp settings. I think the precision that they have added to the Drive pedals may be some of my issue. Also, I don't generally keep my Amp Master Level settings at the default/suggested settings. I tend to crank the Master a little bit more and compensate by lowering the levels of my cabs. So maybe some of that could have to do with the volume changes. I'll have to do some tweaking to find out. But for now… I reinstalled FW11.03 since I am in the middle of some projects at the moment and don't want to re-track any guitars. But I will definitely be reinstalling 12 soon and doing some more tweaking.

Ok locked loaded, half deaf. after 3 hours playing and tweaking, as good or better than what ive ever heard on the axe. Played a lot with the ideal setting changes, not sure what I like better. They all have their differences, I will say ideal smooth loses volume and sounds more compressed, so I tend NOT to like it, on the other hand Authentic may be a bit harsh, Im sure worse at higher volume.

As far as honking etc. I had one patch in particular with a ts808 and damn if I didnt think it was setting off my auto engage wah! Something definitely happend to this drive pedal, almost sounds like a half cocked wah filter, at least on my dizzy 2 preset, super high gain of course. I guess I will just have to fiddle with it.

Hmmmm. I thought it was really brash, despite your PEQs. Turning off the Bright and Saturation helped.

Uh, then I threw in pre-cab one of my scoop versions GEQ. Probably not at all what you'd like, but you might give it a try....

Attachments

• DAS Metall FW11.03 +.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 7
  • DAS Metall FW11.03 ++.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 3
Hopefully this isn't a derail. .. I had a rough time with 11. Somehow it felt stiff and brittle compared to what I had grown used to. I was chasing more gain everywhere, and it seemed anemic. Live, my main rhythm patch seemed to 'wander' to this really thin place.. and if I kicked the preset again it would fix.. for a few minutes. Entirely possible that I had a controller doing something wrong somewhere..but it was getting me down.

I kept up with the threads about reloading the FW.. but a file is either corrupt, or its not. I totally could be wrong, but it seemed like snake-oil.

Anyway, as soon as I got 12 loaded, my box seemed to come back to life. The mids seem to breathe again, and the complexity/richness is back. I'm very happy with the new FW so far. I reckon my comment is that if you had a snappy sound in 11, I can see where 12 might be tubby using the same patches.

I had zero tone loss or issues in upgrading but my go to gain amp is the Plexi 50watt. The HBE is the higher gain, but it sounded great. @jalonhall did you try messing with the modeling mode?

Hey guys:

About 30 minutes ago I updated to FW12. I took a quick tour through some of my patches that I had intensively tweaked with FW11.03 and I noticed that all of my High Gain patches sounded incredibly honky and lack the punch and clarity that they had with FW11.03. I am actually just wondering what major changes were made with the update that may have caused the drastic changes. For example… one of my main Das Metall patch (with a T808 boost in front, and PEQ blocks after the cabs) sounds really muffled, quieter, and I can't seem to dial out the bad spot. I quickly glanced at the Release Notes and noticed that there were some changes made with the Drive pedals and whatnot, but I'm not sure where the weird artifacts are originating from. Has anyone else noticed some similar drastic changes with their high gain patches…? Or any patches in general? I'm just wondering if I missed something in the release notes about the Amp models like Das Metall, Fas Modern, etc. , the PEQ blocks, or stock cabs.

Thanks in advance;)

I have uploaded my main high gain rhythm patch if any of you would like to check it out and see what I'm talking about:) If you've already updated to FW12 then you probably won't have a good reference of what it sounded like with 11.03...but let me know if anything jumps out at you as being a possible cause of the difference I'm hearing. Thanx

I updated from 11.05 to 12.01 and my usa lead br+ with TS 808 mod in front doesn't quite have the bite that 11.05 had. Just sounds a tad blanketed. I reset the amps and reloaded my presets and am using mode 11 authentic. Almost a little like the cocked wah you mentioned

Back
Top Bottom