Valgua

Inspired
I have just spent my first week with the FM3. Call me impressed. I feel that the FM3 agrees very well with my way of thinking. I have had a hard time understanding the complaints about an unintuitive interface. I find the FM3 much easier to use than the Hx Stomp and the results that I get are very good from the start. The logic that I apply to a physical rig applies very well to the FM3 too. I never had to scratch my head asking why something sounded a certain way. Of course, I have so far stayed on the surface. I have used the "authentic" settings without getting into the finer tweaks, but to me that is the real test: the models work very well just using the settings you would find in a physical rig. The rest is gravy.

I have also not felt frozen by the wealth of choices. Again, if you know what you want you can get it very quickly. Yes, you can spend hours trying out cabs (and I will certainly do that) but you never need to. It's a tone nerd's dream come true, while giving you the means to be very efficient. In fact, I feel that my practice was more focused than before. I got the tone I desired in five minutes and spent my precious time playing. Of course, I will also dwell into the depths of the machine... as soon as I can take a vacation. ;)

Factory presets much more usable. The amps ‘feel’ better, more dynamics as well. First chord on the AC-20 gave me goose-bumps. Prefer the dials/knobs in FM3-edit over the ‘lines’ in HX-Edit. Really digging it!
Nice just ordered mine yesterday. Gonna compare to my kemper stage

Long time tube amp snob that resisted digital for way too long. :)

I went Helix to Kemper to the FM3 in the past few months.

I couldn't get the brittleness and top-end plunkiness outof the Helix. Those high-frequencies
just felt stiff, and sounded kind of harsh and brittle to me. Using Hi-Cut and various IRs only
helped minimally.

Enter Kemper Stage. Out of the box I loved the tones and feel. Top--end was warmer to my
ears and had a better feel than the Helix. The User Interface is so 1993, though. The software editing
and UI are just awful. I mean, come on. The platform for profiling is 10 years old and holds its own to
this day, but the user interface and screen is 30 years past it's shelf life. I won't keep the Stage because
of that awful UI.

FM3 so far has the best of both worlds. :) Great tones and feel, and top notch editor and interface. Still
finding my way around, and learning as I go, but really happy with where I am at in this journey right now.

Long time tube amp snob that resisted digital for way too long. :)

I went Helix to Kemper to the FM3 in the past few months.

I couldn't get the brittleness and top-end plunkiness outof the Helix. Those high-frequencies
just felt stiff, and sounded kind of harsh and brittle to me. Using Hi-Cut and various IRs only
helped minimally.

Enter Kemper Stage. Out of the box I loved the tones and feel. Top--end was warmer to my
ears and had a better feel than the Helix. The User Interface is so 1993, though. The software editing
and UI are just awful. I mean, come on. The platform for profiling is 10 years old and holds its own to
this day, but the user interface and screen is 30 years past it's shelf life. I won't keep the Stage because
of that awful UI.

FM3 so far has the best of both worlds. :) Great tones and feel, and top notch editor and interface. Still
finding my way around, and learning as I go, but really happy with where I am at in this journey right now.
Good to hear. After I compare the fm3 to the kemper I may even trade whichever I like less for a helix and then keep comparing. Helix 3.0 seems really good. I honestly think all the sounds are so close it’s just a matter of which one your brain and ears get along better with and I think you really don’t know until you try them. Videos only go so far

I pulled the trigger today and ordered an FM3, I have the Kemper stage so I'm looking forward to try it and see the differences.

Last edited:
I also went from Line6 and other stuff (Laptop with Amplitube or Guitar Rig) to FX Ultra and now FM3.
No need to seek after another modeler or amp since then...like- may this or that could be better.
Absolutely satisfied.

And for the Kemper guys here.. in my opinion it makes no sense to compare a profiler with a modeler.
Total different way of getting a sound.
Even if the profiler may also have good sounds you will never be able to tweak it in the way as a modeler like Fractal could do.
That is one of the reasons I never been into profilers, independend of qualitiy of sound.
Don't intend to make Kemper bad - only my personal opinion and needs.(I really was interested and informed mysself the time they were released)

A modeler is like having the complete guitar shop gear in a box an you can combine the singel devices together like you would do it with your physical rig. And you can dial in the tone in the same way.
But in additon you are able combine pedals, amps and cabs that you would never combine if you buy the physical stuff.
No-one would have the money, space and time to do that.
And in this virtual rig you will never get strange behavior or sound issues like signal loss, humm, empty battery, bad power-source a lousy cable or connector in your rig that you have to identify. (OK except the physical cables going in and out of the FM3 that you still have to use)

I also went from Line6 and other stuff (Laptop with Amplitube or Guitar Rig) to FX Ultra and now FM3.
No need to seek after another modeler or amp since then...like- may this or that could be better.
Absolutely satisfied.

And for the Kemper guys here.. in my opinion it makes no sense to compare a profiler with a modeler.
Total different way of getting a sound.
Even if the profiler may also have good sounds you will never be able to tweak it in the way as a modeler like Fractal could do.
That is one of the reasons I never been into profilers, independend of qualitiy of sound.
Don't intend to make Kemper bad - only my personal opinion and needs.(I really was interested and informed mysself the time they were released)

A modeler is like having the complete guitar shop gear in a box an you can combine the singel devices together like you would do it with your physical rig. And you can dial in the tone in the same way.
But in additon you are able combine pedals, amps and cabs that you would never combine if you buy the physical stuff.
No-one would have the money, space and time to do that.
And in this virtual rig you will never get strange behavior or sound issues like signal loss, humm, empty battery, bad power-source a lousy cable or connector in your rig that you have to identify. (OK except the physical cables going in and out of the FM3 that you still have to use)
I generally agree with how you can't ultimately really compare the kemper and FM3 or profiling vs modeling. I am also in the camp that all these products sound so good at this point, and in a mix no one would know the difference, and that ultimately it just comes down to what works better with your ears and brain. I just think it'd be cool to hear what the other consumers here think of the FM3 vs kemper after they have spent time with both.

Back
Top Bottom