My first matching result

Frozen

Inspired
Here is my first matching result. I tried to match John Petruccis tone on Pull Me Under. As you can see by the Soundcloud comments, the first part is the original, second one is the tma block without having a cab enabled, and the last one is the cab followed with the tma block. I think the first match is pretty close while the second one lacks a lot of bass frequencies. I guess it's user error, so dont mind! Pretty happy with the result - say goodbye to ozone! :D

EDIT:
Preset File: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7398241/petrucci pmu match.syx
Cab IR: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7398241/pmu IR.syx

Can't guarantee that these work properly due to the outdated axe-edit version.

Here is another match. My track kicks in after the "speak".

Preset: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7398241/Speak when spoken to rhythm fame.syx

Last edited:
Seriously? I mean that was fast. I've just been noodling around with it for a while to see how bad the old factory patches sound in order to get a grasp on what's changed (its a good indicator IMHO). A couple sound pretty crappy so I'd say there ain't no placebo stuff going on.

But damn, you just went right to work didn't you? :)

Seriously? I mean that was fast. I've just been noodling around with it for a while to see how bad the old factory patches sound in order to get a grasp on what's changed (its a good indicator IMHO). A couple sound pretty crappy so I'd say there ain't no placebo stuff going on.

But damn, you just went right to work didn't you? :)

haha, you guess! I planned this like 5 days and refreshed the forum about every 2 minutes since then :D. I'll post the patch asap, just loading the new preset banks.

Damn close.

You'll notice that you can use the "Smoothing" on the second tab of the Tone Match Block to further get it close. You'll also notice that the level you put in ends up matting considerably to getting the best results (assuming you have a high enough resolution for your source, which also contributes to a better result).

Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That sounds awesome. Keep in mind that the original is probably multi-tracked. So for it to sound identical it you would have to do the same (unless you already did that of course).
Sounds perfectly acceptable as is to me, and you'll just get better at it!

Awesome.

That sounds awesome. Keep in mind that the original is probably multi-tracked. So for it to sound identical it you would have to do the same (unless you already did that of course).
Sounds perfectly acceptable as is to me, and you'll just get better at it!

Awesome.

I recorded two tracks, panned hard left and right.

As Axe-Edit doesn't support the tma block yet, i'll have to render it as a cabinet and upload the preset+IR. Will be up in a second.

Really close !! 2 min between them, and i would not notice anything wrong(not wrong, but you get my point) Seem to be a great comming up in about 2 weeks. When my II arrives :D

Am I correct with this thought?
when going through the process of TMA, one of the steps has you play through the block that closest resembles the tone you are matching, this process is going to include the guitar that you are using and will create the curve with the guitar in the mix. If we trade ir's the result we get may not sound the same due to differences in gtr construction, electronics, strings etc.

Am I correct with this thought?
when going through the process of TMA, one of the steps has you play through the block that closest resembles the tone you are matching, this process is going to include the guitar that you are using and will create the curve with the guitar in the mix. If we trade ir's the result we get may not sound the same due to differences in gtr construction, electronics, strings etc.

yup, thats right. I tried the preset with another guitar though, and it didnt sound THAT different.

I'll edit the opening post to link another example.

I think that first petrucci one was pretty dead on, the freak kitchen one was missing a bit of that phasing or comb filtering that mattias has going on but pretty darn close.

Sounds awesome! Is it just my untrained ear or am I hearing a bit of 'hollower' sound on the matched clips?

Sounds great :)
But it must be some profiling/tone matching thing to have a little less low end after matching :D?
I actually prefered sound nr. 2 (from the first one) out of the 3 sounds.

AGGGGGHHHH!!! I completely forgot to try the Tone Matching feature this morning before comin' to work! Makes me wanna leave right now and get those tasty tone under my fingers!

(On a brighter note, messed around with the Recto Red Modern this morning and it was brilliant... I mean the whole character of the amp just shined through! Loved it.)

I think I'm gonna look at my clock today every 5 minutes...

Back
Top Bottom