My first FF IRs (EVM12L)

I stopped recording before the entire sweep file completed playing (but a bit after the final bit of 20k had a chance to decay) for most of my captures, so when I tried to Deconvolve with Voxengo.. "Recorded file cannot be shorter than the test tone file!" error. Cool, nice to know, my bad. I have three that are longer than the test tone file, so I go ahead and Deconvolve them. The resulting file is... it looks like slammed audio, and there is no silence at the start or end (there should be). I know it will likely not work, but I go ahead and Axe-O-Matic them, and.. no audio passes with any of the three loaded as a cab IR.

No clue what I did wrong.
Not only must the recorded file be longer than the test tone file, it must also contain a period of silence on the end. If you are using a 10 sec sweep for the test tone, add 20 seconds of silence to the end. I'll take a look at your files later this morning.

Edit: I took a quick look at the files you posted. I did the following:
1. Trimmed silence from the front and back of the test tone.
2. Trimmed IR delay from the samples, most of which was due to the silence at the beginning of the test tone. Voxengo Deconvolver doesn't seem to like too much IR delay. The silence isn't otherwise significant as it just represents a phase shift.
3. Added silence to the end of each track of sample data, as required by Voxengo processing.
4. Deconvolved with and with out MP Transform option in Voxengo.

I don't have time to test them right now (off to a gig shortly) but I've uploaded them HERE. The trimmed files are in the root, and the deconvolved files are in separate folders for normal and MP transform. Let me know how the results compare to yours.

Last edited:
Wow! Thanks!
Sorry about my posts... I should have avoided forum posting yesterday.
I awoke this morning, and I understood my errors. My obsession with details can be a positive as well as a negative, lol. Having had nearly two years away from active music production and getting back into it with new tools has been.. erm, is... slow going. I miss Pro Tools so much. Cubase 6 has been excellent for composing, but for simple tasks, I am still lost. With PT, I can simply do anything I want with any region and then right-click and save it out for use elsewhere. Cubase? Reaper? Lol! So lost... And the last time I upgraded Sound Forge was.. Win ME I think, lol...

I will check those out once I am able (should be able to be in my chair in a few hours). Thank you again :D

LMO: I took a look, and the deconvolved wavs are still not right. AFAIK, they resulting wav for a cab should be a short wav, with a "burst" at the start, fading quickly.

I truly appreciate the effort!!! I think I will chalk this up to being part of the learning experience, and capture some new ones when I next have a chance. I imagine to those who know how to do this well that I seem pretty clueless, eh? LOL!

I find it interesting that my first batch using the Voxengo produced sine sweep (no idea if lin or log.. I need to ask them) seemed to deconvolve fine. Since the sweep produced by Deconvolver was just the 10s sweep with no leading or trailing silence, my recorded impulses always exceeded that length, so no issues. However, I am curious as to why deconvolving filed this time, even when the capture exceeded the length. I am wondering if it was not realizing that Cubase allows mixed bit files, and so I used the original 32bit IEEE file, but recorded 24/48k files? Though Deconvolver handles 16-, 24-, and 32- bit files, not sure if they can be mixed like that. Needless to say, my curiosity is piqued.. :D

Thanks to all for the tips, help, and links in this thread!

I was neighbor-free for awhile last evening, and had some help available, so I got some great captures of my G12M25 Greenback loaded 2x12. Unfortunately, it has demonstrated all too clearly the limitations that the only viable room I have in my home to do this in is indeed inadequate for capturing FF IR material. Until I get with a foot or so of the cabinet, the room modes play havoc with certain frequencies, producing a sort of "cocked wah" boxiness to each capture. Those who are truly capable of capturing FF IRs in their most pure and accurate state deserve great praise IMO.

I am still contemplating saving the money to lease time at a local studio to cut IRs of my two favorite cabs (Greenback and EVM12L cabs); to do so and likely end up instead spending such time refining a technique that would possibly/likely take many, many hours of experimentation (and/or education) to accomplish properly... well... I do not want 4x12 cabs. I do want something as close as possible to represent/recreate the experience of playing through my cabs via a *transparent* amplifier when instead playing through my studio monitors (FRFR) (IR use). The hunt and journey continue!!!

Back
Top Bottom