My first AxeFX II modification. EPROM anyone?

MGW

Inspired
Got the eprom a few weeks ago and haven't wanted to install it because it obviously has to come out of the rack. This got me to thinking...how to set it up so I don't have to remove from the rack to boot from the ROM in the event of a bricking? SO...I wired up a switch connected to J26. I drilled a hole above the USB port on the back and used a black micro toggle switch. I'll get pics up later, but thought I'd share. Honestly, this is the most expensive thing I have ever taken a drill to...it was a bit tense. All turned out well. Works like a charm.

This is my solution - no drilling etc:

If you don't use/need the phantom power jack you could replug its 2-pin connector to J26 and in case of emergency you just short the pins of the phantom power jack from outside of the chassis (use a fitting barrel connector and solder both pins together) ;)

I was going to do the same thing a few months back and decided against it for the sake of resale. Glad I did 'cause now I'm waiting for payment to purchase an XL which now I don't have to worry about EPROM's and the jumper method anymore... being the main reason of me purchasing an XL.

Has there been an actual known cause for the "bricking"? I thought something was mentioned about other USB devices plugged into the computer while updating FW but once or twice mine still bricked with only the Axe USB'd. Is there a chance FW's get corrupt downloading from the internet that may cause this?

Last edited:
Mine has never bricked. Got the eprom when a nojyeloot bricked his. He picked up an extra rom for me. Though painkiller's idea is a good one. You could actually remove the jack and put a switch in there as well. no drilling and easy to restore. As to the warranty, didn't have one anyway so there was nothing to void.

Back
Top Bottom