My first Axe-FX II recording...

If I was a younger man, I'd be blazing a big fatty while listening to this... (I kinda wish that was the case right now).

I finally had a chance to listen to this. That was seriously kick ass Mike!! Great sounds and excellent tune :twisted

I added an updated recording. I cleaned up some guitar noise and added a real bass track. I used a dual amp preset I made. Both amps were SVT's. One through an 8x10 cab and the other through a 4x10 (I think). They were recorded to separate tracks. I also recorded the dry signal from the Axe II. In Pro Tools I put a PSA-1 plugin set for SVT on the dry track. Then I copied the dry track and put another PSA-1 set for a dirtier SVT sound. I had to phase align the dry tracks to the Axe II tracks, well the other way around actually... Otherwise the bottom fell out.

Sounds great. If you have Waves Plugins slap a L3LL Multimaximizer and a reverb on the drums and hit the overall mix with the L3 Multimaximizer and the L3 Ultramaximer. After I did that to a recording I did using Toontrack Metal Machine I got emotional it made my mix and drums sound so good:lol. Seriously, night and day sounding.

Last edited:
Waaaay ahead of ya... The drums are all compressed individually by Waves Renaissance Compressor and the Focusrite D2 EQ. Then I do parallel buss compression on the drums. I have Reverb on the toms in Pro Tools. As well as on the snare and the rest of the kit. Most of the snare and tom verb is from Superior Drummer 2.3.0. I thought it sounded fantastic so I went with it. I have Ozone 5 on the Master fader. I have it set to eliminate peaks. -0.1dB. I also experimented with a match EQ of Dream Theater's The Glass Prison.

KILLER!!! How did I miss this last month? Anyways, love the tone and riffage. The drums sound awesome too! -Mike

This sounds so good that I can get a bit deeper with it, a suggestion is to add a bit presence or high-end to the guitar (the bass sounds awesome) and maybe make the snare "snap" a bit more, for increased agressivness, I think the snare sounds a bit round and jazzy for this heavyness. The snare on the St.anger album would have been better (I like it). I'm very critical, because I know you can handle it and it sounds so good from before :)

Yeah, the guitars are a bit dark. I normally use MK series amps for my tone. I wanted some more low mid crunch. I still have to rerecord the guitar tracks. As for the snare on St. Anger... NO WAAAAAY DUDE!!! I will agree that it could stand to be a bit brighter. I love a nice bright snare. I'm actually already boosting the crap out of the high end on the snare. I don't know how much brighter it's gonna get. Thanx for the compliments and suggestions!!!

Sounds great to me. I agree, the bass sounds great and is a big part of that sound. It sounds to me like Metallica's and AIC's lovechild. :) Are you an audio engineer or just have a good ear?

cheers,
Steve

I am not an engineer by profession. I have taken some critical listening classes at Berklee though. I just know what I want and sometimes I can get it to sound that way. The Axe II (and Ultra, when I used to use it...) have dramatically transformed my recorded guitar tone. I use Superior Drummer 2.3.0 for drums. The samples sound great to start out with then I EQ, compress and other stuff until they sound natural still, but a bit 'larger than life'.

Thanx for the compliments!!!

Sounds great to me. I agree, the bass sounds great and is a big part of that sound. It sounds to me like Metallica's and AIC's lovechild. :) Are you an audio engineer or just have a good ear?

cheers,
Steve

Really? Hmmm... Of all the things I wish to change about this mix, that would be the last things on my mind. To me, it already feels like the guitars are driving the entire mix. I have been mixing this on my headphones though... I'll bump them up by like 1.5dB and see how it sounds. Thanx!!!

Wow, it sounds EVIL, man. please bring the guitars more upfront, they seem a bit buried in there.

Back
Top Bottom