My cover of Hurt... getting some nice reviews.

funny_polymath

Fractal Fanatic
My cover of Hurt has dropped, as part of the True Groove All-Stars Fully-Recovered covers album (my album is scheduled to drop in May).

The album and my song are both getting some great reviews, and I'm a happy camper... except that no one actually purchases music anymore :nightmare:

Spotify Hurt

"One of my most absolute favorites though is Samuel Claiborne’s Johnny Cash via Nine Inch Nails cover of “Hurt”; somehow giving it more depth than the NIN and Cash versions. That is an accomplishment in its own right." Modern Mystery | The True Groove All- Stars Release “Fully Re-Covered”

"The cover of Nine Inch Nails’ “Hurt” stands out in this album as its grittiest and darkest offering. Samuel Claiborne’s vocals are deeper than Trent Reznor’s and while the original seems to come from the perspective of a victim, the cover seems to come from someone stronger, perhaps an older individual recovering from addiction and speaking of a past experience." Music Review: The True Groove All-Stars – ‘Fully Re-Covered’ | Blogcritics

Hurt - "blew me away...one of the best songs I’ll hear this year” monoblogue music: “Fully Re-Covered” by the True Groove All-Stars : monoblogue

"They even manage to mine new territory in Hurt - already done superbly by Nine Inch Nails and then with perhaps even more authenticity by Johnny cash's acoustic version. With Samuel Claiborne's mournful Nick Cave-ish vocals, it becomes a minimalist, abstract art-rock track - very effective and one of the highlights of the album." Art & Culture Maven: Covers with a Difference: Fully Re-Covered, The True Groove All-Stars (March 31, 2015 - True Groove Records)

"Taking on an almost shoegaze approach is the ethereal work of “Hurt”, whose grimy gray surroundings are in stark contrast to the rest of the album." True Groove All-Stars – Fully Re-Covered | Skope Entertainment Inc

Me: Vocals, Guitar (through Axe-FX II + PCM-70)
Craig Hazen, Bass
Jane Scarpantoni, Cello
Mike Faulkner, Drums

I dig this version. It reminds me of how it might sound if Nick Cave fronted Concrete Blonde.

The guitar work and song arrangement is really top notch.

You really found something unique in this take of the song.

Back
Top Bottom