My battle with Mr Fletcher-Munson.............

I should also note that I've only been working with the axe since January of this year so I'm still a new guy. Often times I'd post a question after fiddling for 4+ hrs in frustration only to work it out within no time haha. After creating some 90 custom presets I'm scared of updating and have become OCD with wanting to do backups after every jam sesh lol.

My latest big discovery last year was to use dark IRs. There were some Fender Super reverb IRs from a forumite here, that I dismissed when trying at home, "way too dark, not usable", but that same ir is super punchy and very much real amp like at loud volume.

Yesterday I mixed the new Ownhammer axa irs at loud volume and used mostly the edge and #10 captures in cab lab. Slightly brighter than that aforementioned super reverb ir, but very clear.

That has worked great for me, (I take no credit for this as I have learned from other's posts), and I use mostly real cabs on stage.
I removed the EQ block I had in the beginning of the chain and added a filter block, (very first slot). The EQ block was killing the fullness and tone. I set the filter block to hipass and set 110 low and 4999 high, with all other settings default, (this can be adjusted to taste). I left the EQ block flat in the amp block. In the speaker section of the amp block, I set the low res freq to 110 and low and high resonance to 1, and left all other defaults. Flattening the low and high resonance really helped with the booming lows and glass breaking highs. I set my cab block to match my 4 x 12 cab which is 75hz to 5000 and changed from hi res to normal setting, (you can adjust this to taste as well). I set the EQ, brightness, etc to my liking, in the amp block. Not only did my cab come back to life making the tone very balanced and rounded, but FOH sounds less hollow and more balanced and manageable. I now have tight lows and controllable highs, without the boom and ear piercing highs. I then copied my presets to a second and third set and tweaked the filter block and amp speaker section, for my 2 x 12 open back cab and FRFR cab.

I have the same problem. Everything sounds great at home with low volume but up loud with the band it's more difficult. What works for me is have a bunch of different IR's queued up and run through them at band practice. The right ir will solve most of your problems. Once you have one patch that works okay live you can use that as a reference for your ear. Take note at band practice of what needs improvement then play around at home. You can't really tell for sure at home what will work so I have several patches ready to go with different tweaks on them to try for next BP. Stick with it for a while and it gets easier and better. I'm sure there is a better way but I have not found it yet.

I removed the EQ block I had in the beginning of the chain and added a filter block, (very first slot). The EQ block was killing the fullness and tone. I set the filter block to hipass and set 110 low and 4999 high, with all other settings default, (this can be adjusted to taste).
I don't think I have ever seen that recommended. You are filtering out your guitar signal before it is even processed. I think the typical application for that type of filtering is after the cab block (and can by done by the Hi/Low cuts in tree cab block)... And with real cabs, the speakers will be doing a similar thing naturally add they are not full range.

Back
Top Bottom