My Axe II is now a giant paper weight

MetalERock

So, I was having issues with my presets disappearing. Long story short....I tried several Firmware versions and now I am stuck on 6.02 and no presets will save. I keep trying to load all the V6 presets and every time I change a preset or power the unit off and turn it back on everything is gone again. Now the screen also comes up grey when I power it on and have to adjust the contrast every time.

I even did all the internal resets and tried to just load all the factory user banks and nothing will save I can't do anything....I can't even play this thing. I emailed support earlier. This really freaking sucks. :-x

I'd assume there is something wrong with your box; that is not normal behavior whatsoever. Hopefully support can help you out.

Battery was my first thought. Either not making proper contact or just dead for whatever reason.

Presets do exactly what you described when the battery is dead (rare) or knocked loose (very rare)

When I got my axe-fx back in 2007 I opened it up, looked around, saw the battery and went "hey better pull this out and write down the battery type." I put it back in, fired up the unit, and guess what? My presets were gone too.

Have you ever backed up your axe-fx?

I have done a Sync and Backup several times before. Is that what you mean by backing up? Thanks for the advice on the battery. I will look into that, but I'm hoping to hear back from support on what to do. I'm a little nervous about opening this thing up. I find it a little odd that something like a battery would be shot after only having this thing for a few months? That just seems a bit weird. Could that be why the screen is coming up greyed out when I start it too?

No, that wouldn't have anything to do with the screen unless the battery fell out of the socket and it's floating around in there shorting something or something like that, but I have a feeling if that was the case, you'd be having worse problems.

No, that wouldn't have anything to do with the screen unless the battery fell out of the socket and it's floating around in there shorting something or something like that, but I have a feeling if that was the case, you'd be having worse problems.

Well I could try and run out today and get a battery. I just feel like this is not a good sign seeing as I haven't had this thing very long. Hopefully I will get a response back tomorrow. Maybe I can ship it back and have them look at it or send me another.

Most reputable manufacturers (FAS is a prime example) will make every effort to ensure your product is built and tested to a very high standard before it ships but there is a limit to what can be tested. I run an electronic manufacturing business and some parts especially batteries can be a pain in the arse. The very act of testing memory batteries flattens them, you rely on the supplier to deliver good product. Give FAS a chance to sort out your problem. This is an excellent product, it's well made and this is not typical behaviour.

This is exactly what happened to my unit. Needless to say FAS took care of me with a new unit.

Update: Well I had sent my unit back to them. I got it back fairly quickly, but they didn't send me a new unit. Pretty sure they just fixed mine. They never even told me what exactly was wrong with it. I am also a little annoyed, because I only had it for 2 months and they told me they only cover return shipping for 30 days. I told them that didn't exactly seem fair, because I had to pay almost $55 to ship it back to them insured. At least it works now, but I have not heard back on whether I will get refunded for the shipping costs. I mean it doesn't bother me that much that they didn't send me a new one, so long as it wasn't some major problem with it.

Back
Top Bottom