My attempt at a Mark IIc+ patch.

Yes, a bit "blanketed". The essence of the tone is there, but it needs a bit more tweaking.

I'd use a parametric EQ after it to get DT-esque tones.

What guitar/pickup combo are you using? Sounds almost strat-like.

I really struggle with the blanketed sound - I put a high cut on and a filter at around 5.7khz to cut the fizz, and if i switch these off it just sounds fizzy. Any eq tips then?

Absolutely no fizz in my Axe, you MUST be doing something wrong if you need to filter your highs. Probably a matter of an error somewhere in your patch or general settings. It could also be your monitoring system, if can ruin your sound no matter how good the axe is.

too_much_power said:
Absolutely no fizz in my Axe, you MUST be doing something wrong if you need to filter your highs. Probably a matter of an error somewhere in your patch or general settings. It could also be your monitoring system, if can ruin your sound no matter how good the axe is.

So if there is no fizz, how am I dialling it in with my 'patch or general settings'?

When I hear people talk about 'fizz', I always associate it with that digital-type hiss that occurs in the 5-6 khz range with other modellers. I don't think this occurs in the axe, so I wouldn't worry about having a low cut in that range. True, some of the amps can have more 'beez in a jar' sound than others, but I think that is fixable by rolling the top end down a bit, maybe more in the 10khz range.

I think if you just add a bit more top end to your patch, you'll be good to go. It is a bit blanketed, but what's under there sounds good to me!

Mark

Cab selection.
On my system: I just threw a 4x12 recto1 (Royer) and an EV12L (SM57) in a stereo Lo res cab block and got a pretty happening tone. It could actually use some more high end for me. I turned the bass down to nothingness, 0.5-ish!

http://www.4dconcept.nl/files/MkIIc+.mp3

I'm not really a metal player, but I wanted to try to actually get some tone on tape for once. That drop D takes some getting used to.

juliancs said:
Ok, exact same patch, notch fiter at 5.7k BYPASSED. Am I hearing fizz when there is none?

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?idmetmzjmuj
Apparently you define fizz differently from me, because I don't hear much of it. I hear some clashing of multiple tracked guitars, some mp3 compression, but not what I would call fizz. Is it supposed to be on this file?

Did you think my file sounds fizzy?

Dutch said:
Did you think my file sounds fizzy?

A little. I'm using altec lansing speakers so it may just be that. I kinda like it without the filter now, it sounds more open.

You mentioned clashing of the multiple tracks. IS this because my playing is not tight enough (one take each :) ) or is this what we call phasing issues? I always get an odd final product when I double track my guitar. The L and R are panned 20% left and 20% respectively... ANY pointers on this would be cool.

I think it's a sort of phasing, but it's kind a ragged and "rumbly" in the high end. Actually I thought it could be a side effect from the mp3-compression. 128 is pretty strong. Try a file @ 192 kB. Phasing in recording appears when a signal gets combined with exactly the same signal, but shifted in time, a few milliseconds. A real phaser works the same way, but varies the time-shift so it gets swooshy. Most of the double tracking is done in single takes in mono and pan those. That should ensure that you don't have the exact same signal, so the phasing should not occur. But you should consult with the experts on this forum like Bulb and Mortega, and Shredi, of course. I'm sure they won't mind.

Double tracking is quite difficult. I couldn't get your riff down so I just went for "something in the vein of" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for sticking with me, Dutch - appreciate it! I listened to some old POD clips, and this stuff definitely is not fizzy - I guess I was paranoid. Anyway, now that the patch is sorted out I'm wondering about this phasing. As you can tell from the terrible playing that they are two seperate takes. Perhaps I need to pan them harder? Anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks!

I always try to record with at least a drum kit on the backing track. A guitar sound that sounds a bit 'off' by itself will sound great in a mix.

As for guitars, I usually record 2 stereo tracks; the first one I pan hard L/R. The second I pan around 70% L/R. Usually sounds pretty good. However, I find in doing this, I need to lower the gain on the patch, as things can quickly turn to mush.

Mark

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=899529&songID=7335235

This is actually 2 mono takes I did; One is hard panned left, and the other is hard panned right. I tried doubling them, but there was a bit too much gain on the patch and it didn't turn out well. I think it sounds fairly thick, IMO.

Mark

I think that phasing is just the mp3. I would like to hear a higher resolution mp3.

At the start of the fizz-file your double tracking is pretty solid. You're doing two stereo tracks instead of four mono, aren't you? Maybe more tracks will smooth it out. And try, try again. The big guys don't get it perfect first take either, I'm sure.

And for a completed recording I'd pull out quite a bit of the bass from the tone I built.

Back
Top Bottom