My AFXII lost its balls

Snowblind

So I've had my Axe FX II for a few months now and everythings been great! I use it for mostly high gain stuff. Well, I sold the only two guitars I had and bought another two, so there was a period of approxamately two weeks where I didn't get to use the Axe FX. Well, I just got the new guitars, and the Axe FX lost its "balls" somewhere. The gain is absolutely pathetic and I don't know why... For some reason I'm not getting nearly as much distortion as I could before. I usually use the higher gain amp models with the gain around 6.5 and thats always been more than enough for me, but now even if i turn the gain up to 10 it just sounds like ass. The guitar I'm putting into it is a Jackson SL2H Custom Shop Solist with EMG 81x and 85x pickups. I already replaced the battery and there was no change. The wiring is also top notch. The problem is definitely not from the guitar, because I'm getting simmilar, if not worse results with my Jackson SLSMG with EMG 81 and 85 18v modded. I'm at a complete loss to what's going on here. If anyone could help me, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Hit the 'Global' button on the front panel and check that your Power Amp Sim is not disabled... or that Cabs are not bypassed.

The meter level on the front of the unit won't go above the first two green lights.

Power Amp modeling is on and Cabinet Modeling is set to active.

I don't know what it means to bypass the unit..

and before I was running a ESP Eclipse II with EMG 81 and 85, an ESP M-II with SD JB's and a LTD Buz-7 with dual EMG 707's

the fact that all 3 of those guitars performed well and the fact that BOTH of my Jacksons are getting less than good results is whats leading me to assume that something is messed up with the unit itself

Try System Reset in Utility.

Bypass is a button on the front panel. Shouldn't blink.

I'd be looking to try the guitars into something else like an amp, just to test. It sounds like they are not ouutting a very strong signal, obviously you have changed the battery, but is there a switch or something in the back to turn the active unit on?
Are the guitars new?
Or see if you can borrow a guitar with passive pickups and try that in the axe. Since the axe was working before, doesn't seem likely it's at fault here.

Good luck

The unit is not bypassed

Tried system reset; no dice.

Can't plug the guitars into anything else to test them. I'm a US Marine stationed in Japan. The only other guy i know who plays guitar out here left a couple weeks ago. If they're not putting out a strong signal, what could be the cause of that? Theres no extra bells/whistles that turn the active part on.

I've tried 3 different guitar cables, all meeting with the same results.

I'm seriously at a loss here. I know it has to be something stupidly simple, because I've already ruled out the complex shit....

Hmm, if you reset the system it can't be Amp Gain (Global) or something similar either...

Can you upload your preset?

Checked input level?
I/O button on the front panel?
Instr in knob should be at approx 49.8% as standard.
Anything less will give to low input from your instrument.

can u record a dry signal into cubase/reaper/logic etc. (its input 3 of the axe) ? so one of us can reamp it and compare it to your results.

maybe global input trim is set off but a system reset should have fixed that.

Checked input level?
I/O button on the front panel?
Instr in knob should be at approx 49.8% as standard.
Anything less will give to low input from your instrument.

Input level is not related to amp gain (except at extreme settings).

//OT Mode On

Nah, it's always to do with the guitar player never with the equipment. Lost balls? What you need is this:

hairy-balls.jpg

*LOL*

//OT Mode Off

Sorry for offtopic but I couldn't help...

ouebT.jpg

Everything is working normally now!

I appreciate everybody's help. A lot. But the thing is... " I R Grunt"

I'll explain: The United States Marine Corps Infantry is one of the most lethal fighting forces on the face of this planet. But.... For as intelligent as we are... We can be pretty damn stupid sometimes. By our very nature, we over-complicate things like a motherfucker.

For example, I can take apart and reassemble a Browning M2 (Pictured Below) and I consider that a rather simple (albeit time consuming) task

y1300.jpg

But when it comes to licking a damn 9 volt to make sure the batteries i'm playing with aren't all dead.... I can't think of doing that.

Sorry for wasting your guy's time, but I appreciate your willingness to help me out.

I think most (if not all) people who have used active pups for any length of time have been through the same scenario.

Even with "real" amps.

Thanks for serving !!

My family appreciates you and your brothers!

Back
Top Bottom