My 2¢ concerning the 6.0 update

I re-did all my patches to V6 last night. Set them up around 110dB. Then level checked them using Scott's video method at 110, then again (with ear plugs this time) at around 115dB.

They sound awesome at 110, not so as you go lower than 95 though.
I did find after level checking them at 110, then re-checking at 115, the patch balance was almost identical, despite the big volume increase.

Great feel difference as well as sound as the volume gets over 100.

Cheers

I understand Radley, as well. But it's like people trying to find out what kind of pedals and amps their favorite hero is using. But some might be like Jeff Beck and hides his pedals away~ Haha. Nothin' wrong with that but at the same time I don't think there is anything wrong with people wanting to know what other players are using.

I think it's a form of a compliment when someone asks you for your patch, right? :) But at the same time, you may not wish to trade your secrets and that's totally up to you.

I WOULD say that if we can ask more nicely for the patches, that'd be great. It's a gracious thing these forum members are doing; sharing their time and effort they've put on to those patches, ya know? :D

I re-did all my patches to V6 last night. Set them up around 110dB. Then level checked them using Scott's video method at 110, then again (with ear plugs this time) at around 115dB.

They sound awesome at 110, not so as you go lower than 95 though.
I did find after level checking them at 110, then re-checking at 115, the patch balance was almost identical, despite the big volume increase.

Great feel difference as well as sound as the volume gets over 100.

Cheers

Hey Sparky,

Not sure how many patches you use but would you be kind enough to let me know around what Level's are your amp levels? Is it a LOT different for each patches or usually around the same level? Cheers!

I have 17 patches for live use, most with. X/Y amps I can switch. All patches have the same structure. about 5patches use the same JCM 800 sound with different pitch arrangements etc.

The setting on the level in the amp block though is totally dependant on the amp type and where all the other parameters are, especially drive and MV as well ad the EQ stack. Don't forget also that other blocks have levels so that can affect over all output, although all my patches match so I always know my level is controlled in th warp block only.
As an example though my JCM 800 patch has a level of -12, my HBE has a level of -17, and my Plexi table has a level of -10.
But I think it's all meaningless really.

Hope that helps a little.

I find it very helpful to see how others build patches, especially experienced players with a good ear. Cab matching in one thing I'm spending a lot of time on & it's always interesting to me to see what cabs & mics people use.

I'm great at structuring patches, I just have a crappy ear lol. I have what I think is a great template that I use, and theni'd edit the elements within it for what patch I'm trying to recreate. Soall my patches start out with the same elements and all the effects set the same.. I think I know what sounds good when I get there, it just takes me longer than most, and of course the tone in the fingers sets it all up,anyway, and boy do I need replacement fingers. :).

I have taken a huge amount of input form this forum though in terms of settings and tricks. Things like putting a tube screamer with drive at 0 and level at 100 in front of an amp block. , priceless, never thoughts of setting a TS like that.

I have 17 patches for live use, most with. X/Y amps I can switch. All patches have the same structure. about 5patches use the same JCM 800 sound with different pitch arrangements etc.

The setting on the level in the amp block though is totally dependant on the amp type and where all the other parameters are, especially drive and MV as well ad the EQ stack. Don't forget also that other blocks have levels so that can affect over all output, although all my patches match so I always know my level is controlled in th warp block only.
As an example though my JCM 800 patch has a level of -12, my HBE has a level of -17, and my Plexi table has a level of -10.
But I think it's all meaningless really.

Hope that helps a little.

Thanks, Sparky. Yea I tend to only adjust the level through the amp block, which is why my levels are way different to each patch. Warp block? What the heck is a warp block? lol

the Warp Block, have you not tried that one. It's one of these blocks created by auto correct on my bloody iPAD LOL, it should have said, AMP block of course?

FWIW, here is a pic of my standard template - only the Amp and cab block are on as standard - everything else controlled by IA's

Attachments

• template.jpg
    template.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 38
the Warp Block, have you not tried that one. It's one of these blocks created by auto correct on my bloody iPAD LOL, it should have said, AMP block of course?

FWIW, here is a pic of my standard template - only the Amp and cab block are on as standard - everything else controlled by IA's

LOLOL I should have known. Darn auto correction. Haha. cheers!

ps. Yes, that TS in the front of the amp block.. definitely priceless!

Yeah Man, Billy knows "tone"!

Billy still uses a pair of JMP-1's live for his hit era sounds, along with a modded Plexi clone for his vintage stuff, and likely some come combo of these (pushed by pedals?) for his more recent stuff. With the JMP-1 it's all about the diode clipping, so it sounds similar to a traditional vintage Marshall with a pedal in front (or like the JCM 900 etc).

Loved my JMP-1, should never have sold it LOL!

The JMP-1 is a 1-rack space tube preamp that came out in the early 90's (I own two) - it is said that Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top used this preamp for a lot of his classic recording tones (Gibbons is a world-class tonemeister in my book). The AFX simulation of this preamp is excellent and can provide an amazing amount of different tones once you learn the tonestack!

Sorry - I never post my performing presets, but I can tell you that I used the JMP1 preamp for the amp model with a fair amount of dynamics dialed in... :)

I gave enough info for anyone inclined to create their own solo preset such as mine - why do you expect it all on a silver platter? Don't be lazy - get to work, and you will probably like your preset more than you would have liked mine...

Sorry, but this is funny. I find amusing the contrast between this attitude compared to, for example various youtube vids of truly great artists like say, Edge, Brian May or EVH in which they explain in generous and pained detail to all the world how they arrived at their truly precious signature sounds. Makes the former seem just a bit avaricious, especially since you started your own thread here when there were already two threads "concerning the 6.0 update" well underway to which you could have contributed. And wherein you then proceeded to sing the praises of your best lead preset that you have ever made in your life. I would have expected people to ask for it after all that. We are all members of the same worldwide community of musicians, after all...

Last edited:
SparkyG I wonder how you check your presets at 115db? Is that db(A) or db(C)? I hope the latter....

Cause you'll probably be deaf for a while after playing half an hour at 115 db(A)..... ; )

Well, I followed Scott's video, used C weight and slow response, regarding the ears, ear plugs! I got the tone set right around 105 - 110 without the plugs, checked and levelled. Then plugs in and ramp up to 115, found no vol changes needed. Sorted.

Of course I ensured I played exactly the same thing on each preset, an A chord strummed 6 times, then I knew it was all consistent.
Also FYI, all my presets are set for rhythm and then each has a 3 and a 6 dB boost and a couple of drives, that I switch in for solos as needed, depending on the song etc.

FWIW, I used the SPL meter iPhone app, whilst it is probably not that accurate, all I care about for this exercise is that it's consistant, which it seems to be.

Sorry, but this is funny. I find amusing the contrast between this attitude compared to, for example various youtube vids of truly great artists like say, Edge, Brian May or EVH in which they explain in generous and pained detail to all the world how they arrived at their truly precious signature sounds. Makes the former seem just a bit avaricious, especially since you started your own thread here when there were already two threads "concerning the 6.0 update" well underway to which you could have contributed. And wherein you then proceeded to sing the praises of your best lead preset that you have ever made in your life. I would have expected people to ask for it after all that. We are all members of the same worldwide community of musicians, after all...
That's fine but I find this a little silly. But you're welcome to your opinion, OF COURSE. I'm probably one of the few here who, since owning the Ultra and the II, I have never downloaded a patch for either of them. I will. I know I will, if for no other reason than to compare notes or check it out. But I never, for as long as I played guitar, ever copied amp settings of other guitar players. To me it's personal. Like wearing someone else's underwear. I know this is a very minority opinion, but I just state it as contrast. Of course I still believe most of the sound resides in your hands.

I'd rather know what he used and his methodology and tweak it myself, from scratch. Like, "Oh THAT amp! Cool. " I don't want to dress up as someone else, in their clothes. But that's me. I'm not criticizing, just giving balance. YMMV, and indeed it does. ;)

I'd rather know what he used and his methodology and tweak it myself, from scratch. Like, "Oh THAT amp! Cool. " I don't want to dress up as someone else, in their clothes. But that's me. I'm not criticizing, just giving balance. YMMV, and indeed it does. ;)

I totally agree, I have no interest in his patches.
I'm just saying that there are more refined ways to shut someone down if you would prefer not to share,
especially after you were the one to bring up the matter in the first place.

Oh come on...wake up.
A big-boy rig tour isn't the same as sharing an Axe-Fx lead patch used on tour with a legendary artist. Go to Fractal's artist page and show me which big-boys on that list are sharing their touring lead patches here -- LOLOL
You're lucky Radley's even here; we all are. And here you are chiding him for not sharing his touring lead patch. This kind of behavior is one reason those guys don't hang out here.

Space Firebird said:
I totally agree, I have no interest in his patches.
I'm just saying that there are more refined ways to shut someone down if you would prefer not to share,
especially after you were the one to bring up the matter in the first place.

I don't know. More refined ways? I like the direct approach. I don't see a problem. but as I said YMMV.

More refined ways?

Yes, direct, too:

"I'm sorry, I don't give out my patches," end of conversation.

Part of being a professional is acting professional.

This would by definition require a measure of grace and
precludes an artist from publicly calling potential fans lazy,
regardless of how they may really feel about an individual.

Just my opinion, YMMV.

Last edited:
LOL. Well I don't see anything UNPROFESSIONAL about, "I'm sorry, I don't give out my patches." How would you say that professionally? LOL.

Look, I'm just busting your chops, as they say. Whatever. We have a different POV on these things. That's fine. I was just giving my prespective, which might be a little different than yours.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom