My 2¢ concerning the 6.0 update

Radley

Experienced
Just wanted to add my 2¢ concerning the 6.0 update: This is an *excellent update* of new features and technology which make it *easier than ever* to coax great sounds out of the AFX II. Mucho thanks to Cliff and the whole Fractal Team for this monumental achievement! I have already programmed the best & most expressive solo preset of my life using 6.0 - what's not to love!!! :)

Just wanted to add my 2¢ concerning the 6.0 update: This is an *excellent update* of new features and technology which make it *easier than ever* to coax great sounds out of the AFX II. Mucho thanks to Cliff and the whole Fractal Team for this monumental achievement! I have already programmed the best & most expressive solo preset of my life using 6.0 - what's not to love!!! :)

Cool. Now you just need to give us clips and possibly presets! :)

+1

Sorry - I never post my performing presets, but I can tell you that I used the JMP1 preamp for the amp model with a fair amount of dynamics dialed in... :)

Yeah the dynamics is magic for me. But are we nullifying some of cliffs amp magic using it.
Works for me.
He wrote if you want it to sound like the ultra dial it up.
This aint no ultra i tell you!

I understand about the preset being a personal thing, as there are so many other variable to your sound both before and after the preset.

What I would REALLY like to know about is the pick-up switching setup you have on your LP!

What I've discovered over the years is that no matter what amp, what patch, what guitar I always end up with tones that are "my" tones. I always seem to gravitate towards tones that I like and that are my "voice"...sometimes it's nice to use someone's preset as a starting point, but I always end up with something that is very "me".

The point (and I think the point Radley is making as well) is to discover your own "voice", make sounds and presets that YOU like, that express YOU!

I gave enough info for anyone inclined to create their own solo preset such as mine - why do you expect it all on a silver platter? Don't be lazy - get to work, and you will probably like your preset more than you would have liked mine...

I totally understand....i was just messin with you.

i actually have a hard time using other peoples presets anyways. most of the ones i try never really sound right on my rig. i guess everyone just has a different ear for tone. what sounds good to one ear may suck to another.

i have off for the next two weeks so im gonna be making presets like a madman....perfect timing for 6.0

BUT...what's the JMP1?

Last edited:
The JMP-1 is a 1-rack space tube preamp that came out in the early 90's (I own two) - it is said that Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top used this preamp for a lot of his classic recording tones (Gibbons is a world-class tonemeister in my book). The AFX simulation of this preamp is excellent and can provide an amazing amount of different tones once you learn the tonestack!

The JMP-1 is a 1-rack space tube preamp that came out in the early 90's (I own two) - it is said that Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top used this preamp for a lot of his classic recording tones (Gibbons is a world-class tonemeister in my book). The AFX simulation of this preamp is excellent and can provide an amazing amount of different tones once you learn the tonestack!

Do share. I promise we amateurs won't show up at your next concert and steal your gig. :)

Sorry - I never post my performing presets, but I can tell you that I used the JMP1 preamp for the amp model with a fair amount of dynamics dialed in... :)

Radley - how much is a "fair amount" in your case? What is the dynamics knob adding that you like? I just know I seem to like it better, but don't know if I'm OD'ing on it and getting carried away. Based on what Cliff said, I wonder if I'm going about it in the right way, but it adds some life to the tone there that I like. Maybe I just like compression...

Regarding the dynamics knob, Cliff said: "v6 is much more open, like a real tube amp. If you like the compression of the old firmware turn up the Dynamics knob in the Amp block. It defaults to zero now as the new modeling handles all the sag naturally rather than using the "compressor around the waveshaper" technique found in other products."

Last edited:
What does the dynamics knob do? I tried turning up and down but I don't seem to hear anything different. :(

The same here :)..I used Diezel and Soldano amps in stereo mod with my beloved FAT switch on, and I can't stop jamming using looper :)

I gave enough info for anyone inclined to create their own solo preset such as mine - why do you expect it all on a silver platter? Don't be lazy - get to work, and you will probably like your preset more than you would have liked mine...

THANK YOU someone for saying this! Yes.

i jammed on the Brit Pre and brit Brown pretty much all day today. its almost impossible to NOT come up with a killer tone. i cant believe i never got into these amp models before. has there been a big improvment on these two inparticular since this last update. i never remember liking anything about these amp models....but now i think they are my new favorites.
i basically took the stock Plexi treble preset and switched the amp model, and used the same cab setup. sounds wicked.....

hopefully i get a little more accomplished tomorrow than i did today. it was well worth it though. thanks for posting this

In response to Radley... I would say i'm not after trippin your sound or solo guitar sound I am really interested in peoples choice of Amp and set ups and how they use them..choice effects, and setting... I believe sharing this information gives people a better insight on how to work with the Axefx, I've been amazed by what combination of pedals, cabs and amps...people use.. and this has given me new and great insight to move forward with my sound and discover new possibilities..

I've been on here with the axefx journey for 3 years... Its finding the time to try every amp with different settings... I start with good intentions of working my way throught these amps spending say 20 minutes on each ... I end up finding a suprise amp i've never played before...Wrecker... and getting stuck for 4 hours... coming out of the drunken haze...with sore fingers and a numb head wondering why i've never tried that amp before.. then I discover the next amp in line....its like and addiction fuckin high all the time..

love peace and guitarification...

Back
Top Bottom