Musical Feedback and the Noise Gate

I must admit, I don't have a solution but I just wanted to chime in and say I don't have any issue getting controlled feedback thru either studio monitors or power amp/cab. I don't really have any useable suggestions though, I don't do anything special with my patches.

I had a similar issue getting feedback on demand when I first got my axe. Although gate is important, so is compression. I'm very happy with the feedback behavior in my current patches, all of which use both gate and compressor blocks. A decent compressor can aid in bringing out more harmonics as well.

Chris at Katsu Kuri Media....your videos are great.

This would be a great topic to cover since it seems to be popping up all over the Forum.

Not trying to pile work on you but I have learned a bunch from your videos :)

Note also that the expander gate block now allows you to assign modifier control of gate settings!

hmmm... this one snuck in without me noticing....
and of course I'm hugely grateful that you've mentioned it
I reckon I have a job for this...

here's my lil' think...

as you know, my presets are multi-functional..
the tones morph between clean and dirty, and I have a soloing tone in there too...

I reckon that if I set up the input gate to it's minimum setting for my 'cleaned' tones..
I can now add a gate/exp block to deal with the dirty stuff...
assign the thresh to the EP1 to strengthen the gating a little for my riffing tone [to keep it tight]
assign the ratio to the XS1 to strengthen the just a little more when I'm in soloing mode to keep all that gain under control...

the outcome will be that the reverb tails one my cleaned tone will now really be able to stretch out...
this could be very very cool...

thanks Matt.. I think you've just unwittingly pushed my presets to the next level...

Like the title says, looking to get some info on how to set this up well. I use controlled sustaining feedback quite a lot, and it's the only thing I'm having a hard time dialing in. Never having used a noise gate before, I'm unsure of how to set up the parameters. I can get it to work, but when I run side by side with my tube amp, I can never get it to react quite the same way. It's always weak sounding and dies out quickly.

Also, is the Noise Gate a "global" setting in the same way that Input Impedance does not change patch to patch?

the input gate settings are set / saved on a per preset basis...
so you are at liberty to set the gate hard where you need to and more gently where you don't

I've found the input gate to be very very good, so you tend not to need strong settings [even for the real dirty stuff]..
during a backline tryout with Matrix at gig volumes, I found it easy to to feedback how and when I wanted to..
and to control it too [just like with regular amps]..
this worked perfectly fine with both 4x12 cabs and FRFR monitors..

if you're struggling to control feedback, either your volume is too low or your gate is stronger than need be
or maybe a little of both..

I reckon that if I set up the input gate to it's minimum setting for my 'cleaned' tones..
I can now add a gate/exp block to deal with the dirty stuff...
assign the thresh to the EP1 to strengthen the gating a little for my riffing tone [to keep it tight]
assign the ratio to the XS1 to strengthen the just a little more when I'm in soloing mode to keep all that gain under control...

the outcome will be that the reverb tails one my cleaned tone will now really be able to stretch out...
this could be very very cool...

thanks Matt.. I think you've just unwittingly pushed my presets to the next level...

WhaddaGreatFrickinIdea! I like it!

I turned the gate off and use a guitar cab. No problems getting singing natural feedback. Love it. Maybe it's harder with FRFR?

it's in the Layout menu :) It's the 3rd page called INPUT/GTE. That's the Gate, but it isn't "Global" as it can be saved differently for each preset.

5.35 Input Noise Gate
Every Axe-Fx II preset includes a “built-in” Noise Gate connected directly to the main inputs. To edit noise gate
parameters, press LAYOUT and turn to the INPUT/GTE page.

Thanks Chris and Sean.

If the INPUT/GTE is set correctly for each preset does that mean you would not need to have a gate/expander block in that preset? They seem to be almost the same thing.

I need to learn a lot more about how to set noise gates in general correctly. It seems like no matter how I set it, I can always hear the gate kicking in and out.
Is there a way to set a noise gate so it just gets rid of the noise and you don't notice you are using a gate?

An option you also have is to turn the gate on (always to the minimum you need it, never more than that) and then use a compressor block set quite high on the sustain/compression levels so you'll get a lot of noise and feedback that will push past the gate when you turn on the CMP block. I use this on the AxeFX II and with real pedals, works like a charm!

Or you can do as Matt said, which may be better suited to your needs depending on what kind of foot controller you have/what sound you prefer.

I turned the gate off and use a guitar cab. No problems getting singing natural feedback. Love it. Maybe it's harder with FRFR?

it's actually no different..
when I was switching between FRFR and 4x12 cabs the only adjustment I made was switching on / off the cab sims..
I didn't touch the gate at all..

remember that when using a gate, you should set it as gently as you can get away with..
unless of course you want to use the gate to create a specific tonal effect..

Back
Top Bottom