Music Man John Petrucci guitar

BrandonDT

I just bought a brand new MM JP6 that shipped from the factory, it's the non-piezo version. I love the setup, feel, and tone of the guitar, but there is one thing that is driving me a bit nuts. The tremolo springs are vibrating when I play and it's quite loud and audible through my amp and Axe-Fx. It comes through like a 'reverb-ish hum' if you know what I mean. But if I'm unplugged I really can't hear it at all. I can probably post a sound clip tonight to demonstrate what I'm talking about. But anyway, I realize there are quite a few guys on here who own these guitars, and my question is have any of you also experienced this with your MMJP guitars? It just seems way louder than with any other guitar I've owned and I'm wondering if I might have a problem.

Hey buddy!

I had the same issue with an Ibanez JS a few years back. I read a 'trick' that Vai uses where he stuffs foam in the trem cavity between the springs to stop them vibrating - I tried it and it worked like a charm.

Simple fix - might work for u too.

Good luck!

That's actually a good idea I think I will try. And it shouldn't affect the movement of the tremolo system so long as I don't over pack it. I will give it a try...thanks!

I just stuff some cotton balls under the springs in any guitar I have with a trem. It's a pretty common issue.

Reactions: jon
The foam strip trick under the springs works perfect. I had a PRS Custom 22 that
did the same thing. This weird little after-ring I could always hear. The foam solved it.

Ever guitar with a floyd rose/spring tremelo system has this problem unless the springs are muted with plastic rings when made. Its just happens when you have springs in something that vibrates.

You can also hear a reverb coming from the headstock when you play, to solve this but some foam/fabric underneath the strings at the headstock and voila reverb free guitar. I can't stand playing a guitar that isn't muted nowadays.

i'ma have to disagree w / drawnacrol i have a suhr w/ floyd rose and no back plate and it's not muted either and has absolutely no detrimental sound at all...

i'ma have to disagree w / drawnacrol i have a suhr w/ floyd rose and no back plate and it's not muted either and has absolutely no detrimental sound at all...

I have a couple of Suhr guitars and both of them had something inside the tremolo springs. A small piece of foam in the center (interior) of the spring that stopped/muted the vibration. I did not know it until I accidentally took it out checking something.

What I do know is a get a rubber ring, cut it and insert it inside the springs. It works perfect.

rubber_ring.jpg

Some people stuff the springs with 3/16" rubber tubes. Cure for noisy tremolo springs - YouTube

I purchase these springs that have a black coating on them they seemed to have helped with spring noise. The other suggestions work as well, but I find adding anything behind the springs sometimes get's in the way when i'm diving or pulling up with the bar.

Ok, I know I am not crazy now. I ordered 2 of the JP6 private reserve over a period of 4 months and I swore I heard noise like ringing coming from somewhere. It annoyed the hell out of me and I ended up returning them in disgust. The feel of these guitars is awesome, especially if you have short fingers.

Suhr may have installed noiseless springs. Slam the open strings with your pick and immediately mute with your fretting hand and if you don't hear any noise then their is already something muting them(you will have to mute your headstock aswell though).

Back
Top Bottom