Multi-Delay Input Diffusion Demo

There have been a lot of threads requesting a shimmer reverb over the years, to which many (including myself) respond that shimmer reverb is already in the box; it just takes more than one block to build.

Now that the MultiDelay block has Input Diffusion as well as the usual cross-line diffusion, we have the capability to do some very diffused ambient sounds with just a single block, including some great shimmer reverb.

As requested, here's a block to get you started. X is a cloudy, swirly reverb, and Y is blooming shimmer. It's configured to be run in parallel with the main path. No reverb block necessary. This block should be compatible with Axe-Fx/AX8 firmware 7.02 (FX8 5.03) and later.

Here's a (rather sloppy) demo. I tried to over emphasize the attack to demonstrate that the input diffusion handles the task of blurring the transients of individual echos together.

Just downloaded this and the Y setting seems messed up the level is at -80 all 4 delays are 63/64 on the tap with -100 feedback and all panned -100. I know this is an old thread but any chance you can review it?

Just downloaded this and the Y setting seems messed up the level is at -80 all 4 delays are 63/64 on the tap with -100 feedback and all panned -100. I know this is an old thread but any chance you can review it?

Working fine on my AX8 FW 8.02 using AX8-Edit 1.8.4. To test, I downloaded the block from this thread rather than use my local copy, just to see if the online block was older or corrupted.

Here's a screen shot of the Master and Dlys/Pitch tabs of the Y state.

Screen Shot 2017-09-11 at 9.43.50 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-11 at 9.41.10 PM.png

Working fine on my AX8 FW 8.02 using AX8-Edit 1.8.4. To test, I downloaded the block from this thread rather than use my local copy, just to see if the online block was older or corrupted.

Here's a screen shot of the Master and Dlys/Pitch tabs of the Y state.

View attachment 41707
View attachment 41706
Thanks! That is so strange that mine showed up all messed up. Is this blk designed for stereo? I play In stereo almost exclusively but sometimes I play Mono and when I do I sum L+R. I have all my stereo fx set so they don't phase chance or get weird when summed. With this using some 50% L/R panning will it sum ok?

At home, I monitor in stereo for jamming and switch to left-only mono when crafting my gigging presets (as that's how I connect to FOH). I haven't tested anything in summed (or partial summed) mono.

So I would say it was designed with a stereo field in mind but sounds great with one or both channels.

I use my AX8 in mostly a worship setting as well, and even though I'm not a big fan of these types of sounds/tones, I love throwing on some of these patches and watching the guys with the big elaborate pedal boards whip around and look wildly at me like "What the heck!?!?" haha! ( I was one of those guys not all that long ago :) )

Thanks for sharing!

The FM3 changed things up a bit with the addition of the Plex Delay block (and even adding a Shimmer Verb type). I think most of my patches similar to this sound now use the Plex Detune in the Plex Delay block. Not quite the same as what the MTD block did, but better to my ear.

I’ll mess around with it a bit tomorrow and post my findings.

Back
Top Bottom