Multi Delay Bypass Issue

lwknives

Power User
I sometimes like my multi delay to run into a reverb in parallel with the main signal path, especially for shimmer type FX. The problem is that when I do that I need to run the mix on the Multi Delay at 100% and when I bypass the Multi Delay I don’t get the delay tails if I sat bypass mode to thru and I lose my reverb if I set bypass mode to mute fx in.

What I want is to be able to turn on the Multi Delay and have a big lush sound and then bypass the delay and have the lushness slowly fade into just the reverb. Is there a way to do this without adding a bunch of crazy routing?

Please attach you preset. A lot easier to debug it that way. If I understood correctly then you probably better run the delay and reverb in series, adjust the mix correspondingly, and set the delay to mute FX in

Last edited:
I would post a preset but it is very difficult due to me not having easy access to the internet on my computer. I would have to put it on a drive and send it from work.
Here is a drawing showing what I want.
I am currently running the MTD in series but it doesn't sound as good for some things.

IMG_3384.JPG

Using a scene controller you could adjust the delay mix and mute the FX in at the same time.
I couldn't get that to work, as soon as mix goes down my tail volume goes down with it and as soon as my in volume goes down my reverb gets mixed too low.

I did figure out a workaround but it takes up a filter block. I was hoping to get it done just with the delay.

I couldn't get that to work, as soon as mix goes down my tail volume goes down with it and as soon as my in volume goes down my reverb gets mixed too low.

You'd have to make the scene controller increase multidelay level to adjust for that. Here's one way to avoid some trial and error:

With multidelay bypassed (Mute FX In) set its mix to 50% and level to +6 dB. Adjust reverb block level for desired reverb level. Now set multidelay mix to 100%, level 0 dB and engage it. Adjust input gain to set shimmer level.

If that happens to not allow as much shimmer level as you'd like, you could use mix values of 75% and 100% with level at +2.5 dB then 0.

You'd have to make the scene controller increase multidelay level to adjust for that. Here's one way to avoid some trial and error:

With multidelay bypassed (Mute FX In) set its mix to 50% and level to +6 dB. Adjust reverb block level for desired reverb level. Now set multidelay mix to 100%, level 0 dB and engage it. Adjust input gain to set shimmer level.

If that happens to not allow as much shimmer level as you'd like, you could use mix values of 75% and 100% with level at +2.5 dB then 0.
That might work. I'll try it and report back. I'll have to use a ctrl swithch though, my scene controllers are used to control amp gain and volume.

That might work. I'll try it and report back. I'll have to use a ctrl swithch though, my scene controllers are used to control amp gain and volume.

You can use the same scene controller to adjust multiple modifiers, you just need to setup the individual modifier to convert the scene controller value into the desired modifier value.

yeah, you definitely need to use "mute fx in" on the delay, so the delay tails continue when you mute it . don't bypass the reverb at all.

if you want reverb when the delay is off, use another one in the preset just for that.

i'm not sure i understand what the other problem is with mix/level when it's bypassed

if you want reverb when the delay is off, use another one in the preset just for that.

i'm not sure i understand what the other problem is with mix/level when it's bypassed

He wants some reverb on the normal non-shimmer tone while delay is off, without adding a second reverb block.

It's probably worth mentioning that you could do the same thing with a volume/filter block parallel to MTD. Connect that block to reverb as well, engage or (mute) bypass dry signal as needed.

He wants some reverb on the normal non-shimmer tone while delay is off, without adding a second reverb block.

It's probably worth mentioning that you could do the same thing with a volume/filter block parallel to MTD. Connect that block to reverb as well, engage or (mute) bypass dry signal as needed.

That's what he's doing with the extra filter block. Maybe an additional mute mode could solve the issue.

I don't understand the Op's problem. If you want to keep the verb while bypassing the multi-delay why does the verb need to be in a parallel path? I'd suggest placing only the multidelay in parallel and with the path rejoining the main chain before the reverb.

I don't understand the Op's problem. If you want to keep the verb while bypassing the multi-delay why does the verb need to be in a parallel path?

It sounds like he doesn't want the normal dry sound feeding reverb while multidelay is engaged. See drawing in post #3.

It sounds like he doesn't want the normal dry sound feeding reverb while multidelay is engaged. See drawing in post #3.
I'll take a look tonight and post results if I get something to work. I guess I'm not entirely understanding the purpose of the reverb in parallel, but if it's gotta be in parallel I imagine dumping it down into a 3rd path which is fed by both the amp chain and the multidelay chain would suffice.

you could just adjust the delay mix parameter with a scene controller. when you bypass the delay (as long as it's set to mute fx in), just reduce the mix level to let some dry signal through into the reverb. no need to change the routing or add more blocks

Back
Top Bottom