Mr Mister sounds anyone?

Mark Cullen

Inspired
Hey everyone!

I'm brand new here. I ordered my ULTRA last Monday and am hoping to pick it up tomorrow. The wait is killing me! (7 days felt like 7 months!)

Because of this I have spent a lot of time on these forums reading, learning, listening to clips, reading the manual etc...

Some great stuff here.

I have not seen the name Steve Farris mentioned anywhere (of Mr Mister fame back in the 80's). He had one of the most recognizable sounds around. The sounds on the album "Go On" from 1987 were sublime.

Anyone else a fan? Anyone tried to emulate him at all?

After 8 years in Vetta-land I'm soooo looking forward to joining all you happy Fractalites!

Cheers!

Re: Mr Misters sounds anyone?

Oh this is a cool thread. I really like the guitar tones from the eighties. Looking forward to read on, if anyone has had success.

I saw them open for Night Ranger (IIRC)..great tone !

Did he use Mesa Mark IIC's ?

I have no idea what amps he used, but a lot of it was a fairly clean tone although a little edgy into modulation, pitch shifting and delays. Was very unique.

Steve Farris is one of my all time favs. He came to see me play in 1987 and issued some praise which I've cherished ever since.

I've got quite a few tones in that vein.

Matman said:
Steve Farris is one of my all time favs. He came to see me play in 1987 and issued some praise which I've cherished ever since.

You do ?!????!??? Well, we want patches!!! In the absence of Axechange, and while we wait for the Fractal solution, we can either wait patiently or encourage you to find creative ways to share them? ;-)

Kidding aside, I'd be really interested if you have patches to share. If you had some on Axechange, what were they called? Perhaps some of us have already downloaded them...

That's cool Matman!

Got any tones to share?

I'll definitely make some eventually but I've got a bunch of other stuff to get done first...

Cheers!

Dpoirier said:
Matman said:

You do ?!????!??? Well, we want patches!!! In the absence of Axechange, and while we wait for the Fractal solution, we can either wait patiently or encourage you to find creative ways to share them? ;-)

Kidding aside, I'd be really interested if you have patches to share. If you had some on Axechange, what were they called? Perhaps some of us have already downloaded them...

I'd be interested too! Now as far as creative ways to share them, just take the individual .syx file and put it in a .zip file, and you can attach it to a thread response. I did that the other day with my Cornford patch.

If you're keen, you'll also find a nice array of Mr. Mister sounds among my factory presets for the Access Virus series.

Matman said:
The attachment thing didn't work.

Here's one to start you off.... a wide rhythm tone (for a fat strat). Note the bypassed drive, which adds some creaminess, and the bypassed chorus, for some post type tones.

http://www.mysticworks.com/FarrisWheel.syx

Have fun,
Matt, sorry for the slightly OT, but did you ever find a second to look at the video link I pm'ed you, regarding the Eventide algorithm ?

Thanks !

The tone on Broken Wings is amazing, we've yet to play any Mr. Mister in my band but I would love to check out a patch that gets in the neighborhood.

Hello!

I found this nice information on internet:

OK, here it goes... During my time as a tech, Steve Farris was one of the pros I had the pleasure to work with. This was only for studio sessions and local club gigs in L.A. The Mr. Mister (fucking great stuff wasn't it?) gig was way before my time with Steve.

However, we did have conversations about what he used in the MM days. This is what he told me... The early recorded MM tone (Broken Wings, etc.) was a Dumble OD Special combo and a Jim Kelley combo split into stereo via a modded BOSS CE-1 pedal, a BOSS HM-2 (Heavy Metal) pedal was also used, along with a volume pedal. A KORG SDD-3000 delay was in the loop of the Dumble. Listen to Broken Wings, this is what you'll hear. Steve did not have a "rig" or "system" during those recordings, he plugged in by hand whatever he needed or wanted.

He later had Bradshaw build him a rack in the 80's that he probably used in those videos that were posted. Steve never used this rack when I was around, he had two smaller Bradshaw racks that he preferred, one for sessions and one for live work. I did look at the old rack several times but not enough to remember everything in it. Some items that come to mind are... dbx 160 compressor, KORG SDD-3000, Roland SDE-3000, BOSS CE-1. No Eventides or Lexicon stuff.

Now I tell you what I'm doing with my Axe Ultra to get the closer sound:

I'm using the HAD ODS 1 Model, but you can try with the two others. The cabinet suggestion is 2x12 Custom (which are loaded with Electro Voice speakers, as the original, but notice that de Steve Farris cream tolex, only one made by Dumble, loaded a 1x12 EVM speaker, so you need to check all the possibilities and find out which one you prefer. I'm using the 4x12 20W option, with 58 mic, is the closest that I've founded, but I continue searching on it.

As the original Dumble doesn't have a Drive preamp section, you'll have to fit a pedal before the amp to generate the distorsion, I'm trying with the TS 808, and it sounds very close, but the Boss Heavy Metal should be the best option (my Ultra doesn't have it already...). I'm using it as a booster, using the drive of the amp 75% , with the pedal drive at cero and the volume at maximun level. Check it out and make your selections as you prefer again.

Have a great day and hope it helps someone...

I was initially curious as to the name of the factory preset on the Axe-fx II called 'Farris wheel' thinking it was built to represent his sound,but I couldn't hear the connection. When I think of the sounds on 'go on..' with all the big delays and volume swells etc. There is no correlation. Anyway I still like those sounds a lot, and you can really tell Steve was missing from the 'pull' album, as good as it is, It needed the bite of an angry guitar.

Back
Top Bottom