Moving to FM3 from AX8, Worth it?

Kfir

Hi Guys
Long time user of AX8, after watching some comparisons in YouTube, I thought the FM3 sounds more edgy and have more body compared to the AX8, this reason alone got me thinking of upgrading, from now I'm using pretty simple presets: Amp+Cab (with custom IR)+Overdrive , I have couple of basics questions:
1. Will I be able to convert my AX8 presets to FM3 easily?
2. What are the downsides of the FM3?
3. I'm using my AX8 mainly for studio work (recording usually just the amp+cab and do the possessing in Cubase, is that a good reason to choose the FM3 over the AX8?

1. You can try to convert presets using Fractool, but you will likely get better results with simple presets by tweaking from scratch and using the AX8 preset as a general guide.
2. CPU limitations with very complex presets, but still more powerful than AX8 by some margin, and easily managed with smart preset and block usage..
3. Yes

I haven't found any downsides to the FM3.
But I only record with it, so if you use it live you may reach cpu limit if you have tons of blocks in use.
Yes, recording with FM3 is wonderful, still need to edit/process but man am I getting some great sounding recordings now!

I moved to the FM3 from an AX8 a few months ago:

Positives:
  • Sounds better in general (specially with the new drives)
  • I've found it easier to dial in sounds (not sure if this is just because i'm now familiar with the platform)
  • Much improved UI on the HW (Performance page yay)
  • I find FM3-Edit considerably faster than Ax8-Edit
  • Usb interface = super easy reamping

Negatives:
  • Fewer buttons
  • No dedicated amp controles (solved with the Performance page which i prefer as it can be customized)

I moved last year, was one of the early AX8 owners to sign up for the waiting list that lasted a year, everything about the FM3 is better than the AX8 with the only exception 3 foot switches (imo) I'm quoted in the forum that I would never sell my AX8 but I did it anyways to fund my FM3 and not only got a good amount reselling it I never missed it once I got my FM3 as the sound is far superior as well as the UI.

Definitely worth it! Had my AX8 for over 3 years and signed up on the first day of the FM3 wait list.
Sold my AX8 figuring my turn on the wait list for the FM3 would come soon into summer 2019 (mistake).
Didn't, so I looked around for alternatives while I waited.

After a brief stint with the Headrush Gigboard (Yuck!) and Ampero One (decent sound with 3rd party IRs), I finally got my FM3 in January.
Phenomenal pedal. To make living with the 3 button unit a little easier to handle, I added my Disaster Area DMC3-XL MIDI switcher to make the rig a 5 button unit plus my 2 expression pedals.

I never used the pedal controls on the AX8 and did 99% of tweaking mostly on AX8 Edit and Fracpad. On the FM3, the controls are not perfect but they are a huge improvement over the AX8.
I really appreciate the power of the 4 channels for amps and most effects over the AX8's x/y selections. Everything I could do on the AX8 can be done to a far greater degree on the FM3. I also find the CPU issues while still there, are not showing up as high on the FM3.

While I never had a side by side comparison having sold the AX8 many months earlier, every aspect of sound, tone, effects is much better, and with Cygnus on the horizon, the future looks great. I can easily see myself holding on to the FM3 for more than 3 years as I won't make the same mistake twice of selling my FAS pedal before receiving the new one.

Dig in. Tweak'er up to your preferences and enjoy.

The FM3 is an upgrade in almost every regard.

better editor. More switch functionality. Able to create deeper presets. Expansion via FCs. ....

A lot of insightful comments here, so I don't have too much to add.
But I moved from AX8 to FM3 about 6 months ago.
I thought I was going to miss all the switches, as I had gone from a board with around 14 pedals to the AX8. I got a Morningstar MC3 to add a little more functionality and I rarely use it. The 3 switches are really versatile.
Also - as good as the AX8 sounded, the more I tweaked (and as the updates came through) the FM3 sounds even better.
To answer your questions:
1.) There is a program (Fractool) to convert patches between the different versions of Fractal products. I used it and it wasn't hard, but I couldn't just play them after the conversion. I think I had to re-add the input and output blocks. I may have also had to reconnect the shunts and re-select the amps and cabs (but that may have been when I tried going from AX2 to FM3). Anyways - I think I moved around 15 patches over I thought I couldn't live without. I think I've used around 2 of them - building new/tweaking the factory presets/using FM3 patches shared on the Forum has been way better.
2.) The CPU limitations is the only downside that I experience and I do think it's slightly more powerful than the AX8, it's more that some of the patches I would like to create are doable on the AX III, but either don't work or don't sound quite as good on the FM3. But do I really need a really good violin sound?
3.) No experience

Hmmm, I'm going to play devil's advocate here and say "Maybe". I've been a long time user of the AX8 and recent user of the FM3 - I still have both. The reality is that I enjoy both pretty much equally and will be keeping both for a long time. I have no problem getting tones that inspire from both, I enjoy the workflow of both and quite frankly there are times that I actually enjoy the AX8 more. For example, for some reason (and it might just be my units), the AX8 seems to be less susceptible to RF interference and I personally hate unwanted noise. Not that the FM3 is bad, just that the AX8 can handle it better. Also, the AX8 format (being all in one vs Fm3/FC-6 combo) is a tiny bit more convenient at times.

I have both, enjoy both and will be keeping both. That said, if I could have only one, the FM3/FC6 would be my choice but if it was FM3 alone vs AX8, I would likely stick with the AX8. Knowing the AX8 will never receive any more updates is a bit of a bummer given the hardware and format is awesome. Honestly, it still does the job better than I would ever need just the way it is but your situation might be different.

1. Maybe, but honestly I wouldn't rely on moving direct preset copies to the FM3. It can do so much more - 4 channels per block rather than X/Y, new effects that change the way that you might build a preset (ie subbing PlexVerb for Reverb), etc. I used the AX8 for a long time and found myself constantly building and rebuilding presets. It was like a college course in signal chain, routing, amp behavior, effects order, etc. Ultimately I learned more by building presets from scratch and this helped me when I got my FM3. I use fewer drive blocks now because I have access to 4 amp channels in a preset as well as different kinds of input boosts. Same with Delay - only one block now as opposed to 2 thanks to the channels. I would very much recommend starting from scratch and learning this unit on it's own - you will find that it does more with fewer blocks and you will be able to get great sounds much easier.

2. As others have mentioned - switch limitations with the FM3 alone. I added an FC6 and feel great about the decision. It allows me so much more flexibility. CPU - like the AX8, FM3 has CPU limitations, but because you have more channels per block, you will probably need fewer blocks. I have found that the extra channels, input boost options, amp compression options, and PlexVerb instead of Reverb have made it much easier for me to stay in reasonable CPU territory.

3. Yes - If you are doing mostly studio work, the switch limitations won't be a big issue and you may not even need the FC6 at all. The amp modeling and effects quality in the FM3 is definitely a step up, particularly with Cygnus on the way and the recent updates to the drive block for FM3. Also, there are more effects available in the FM3 and new reverb algorithms on top of the new drive models that will give you more creative options than the AX8 can provide. You also have dual cabs with the FM3 which makes blending IRs easier without CabLab.

Oh yeah, it's worth it... if you're strong enough.

Fantastic flick. It's unfortunate that they stopped making movies like that a decade or so ago... Marvel set the template for modern filmmaking and now everything has to be a "cinematic universe" filled with one-dimensional characters babbling meta-referential witticisms in front of a glossy CGI backdrop. At least we have Denis Villeneuve's "Dune" to look forward to though.

Now get off my lawn!

**EDIT: More on topic I made this jump not quite a year ago and felt it was completely worth it. The modeling is obviously better and getting LCD scribble strips back that I had previously enjoyed via my FAMC MIDI foot controller on the Axe-Fx II was a huge boon.

Last edited:
Definetly worth it, i used to had the AXFXII, swaped to AX8 the big unit was offering too much options for me.
I changed to the Fm3 months ago because:

• >+ improvment in terms of sound
  • >+ Improvement in Editing much more convinent in the Editor as in the Ax8
  • >+ big colored display is a bonus but not the reason for changing
I would not say having 3 Buttons is a downside, but you have to change the way your are used to working with the ax 8.
For me the OMG3 to 6 footswitch setting has done the trick.

I am really more than happy to did the upgrade.

So, i dont need 2 Amps, tons of effects in my chain and at the moment a higher grade of pitch shifter or virtual capo as the AXIII offers, you can not go wrong with the Fm3.
But still you have to decide on your own what fits your needs.
In Europe you achieve also a fair 2nd hand price for a unit that is in good shape, on reverb or other places. So my upside in terms on money was not so much.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom