MOTU micro lite for multi midi IO?

Mark Cullen

Inspired
I'm wanting to have midi in and out from a floor controller, as well as midi control of a Line 6 M13 from the Axe-FX and to be able to have the computer attached via midi at the same time... so I guess I need at least 3 midi I/O.

Attachments

• ac_to_usb plug.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 318
  • microlite pic.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 319
Mark Cullen said:
I'm wanting to have midi in and out from a floor controller, as well as midi control of a Line 6 M13 from the Axe-FX and to be able to have the computer attached via midi at the same time... so I guess I need at least 3 midi I/O.

USB is not just for the power on those, its also the interface to the computer. Those boxes are intended to give your computer 5 ins and 5 outs, to my knowledge they don't act as MIDI thrus or anything unless a computer is setup to pass data around that way. I don't think they will help you with anything without a computer attached.

what you are more than likely looking for is some combination of midi thrus and midi merges.

For example, a midi thru box would allow the foot controller to talk to both the AxeFx and the Line6. A Midi Merge would allow both the foot controller and the computer to talk to the AxeFx.

Mark Cullen said:
Thanks for the advice. The microlite does look good - but it's also twice the price!

Yeah, unfortunately, the micro express is more expensive. If you don't mind a full rack size thing though, the MOTU Express XT's seem to be showing up on ebay regularly for good prices. You have to be a bit careful because I think some of the older ones weren't USB but used a serial connection to the computer or something.

Here's a post I did from another thread:

hippietim said:
I use a MOTU MIDI Express XT. It is much more cost effective than by the MIDI Solutions rack stuff - the MIDI Solutions units are very limited and they're 200 bucks a piece. The MIDI Express XT is $350 new but they can be had for under $100 all the time - here's one fo 60 bucks right here (if you hurry):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0324097723

You hook it up straight to your computer via USB. It is a complete MIDI router - you can use it with or without a computer. It also has a MIDI IN/OUT on the front panel so you don't have to reach around to the back of the rack to plug in your foot controller.

Mark Cullen said:
How about the M-Audio Midisport 4x4? Would that work without being attached to a computer if you powered it?

There are basically three types of midi devices. Midi interfaces allow your computer to talk on some number of ins and outs ( 4 of each with the 4x4). Midi thru boxes "split" a midi signal up so that one device can send to multiple receivers. Ie, one footswitch controlling both Axe FX and Line 6 pedals. Midi Merge allow multiple senders to talk to one receiver, ie, both a footswitch and a computer talking to the AxeFx. Sometimes midi devices, like the AxeFx, have thrus built in which automatically reflect the messages coming in the In out to the thru.

Most MIDI interfaces, no matter how many ins and outs they have, cannot work as a Merge or a Thru without help from an attached computer and software. If I understand what you are trying to do, thats why you need to specifically look for something that can do Midi Merge and Midi Thru in standalone mode.

However, maybe you can make it easier if you can use the footcontroller to the AxeFx's MIDI In, then send the Axe's thru to the Line 6. Then maybe all you need is a midi merge. However, if you also need a MIDI interface because you don't have one on your computer, then something like the MIDI Express XT makes sense because it can be used for all three purposes.

It doesn't help that MOTU uses confusing names, so you have to look carefully at the specs. The Micro Express and the Express XT, and the MIDI Timepiece can all apparently work as stand along midi "patchbays" ( merge/thru), where the Express 128 and the Micro Lite don't appear to have this functionality according to the web site docs. Probably a good idea to talk to MOTU or buy from somewhere you can do a return if something doesn't work like you thought.

Yes, MIDI can be kind of confusing. What you have to do is diagram up what you want to do, then look at the ins/outs/thrus that you already have to figure out what you can do and what is missing. That will tell you what kind of devices you need.

more than you ever wanted to know about MIDI... http://www.tweakheadz.com/how_to_get_st ... _midi.html

Thanks Steve,

I think using the thru on the Axe-fx to the M13 will be fine, since i'd be controlling it and using it in the loop anyway (it doesn't need to talk back).

I'm using an M-Box Pro II to interface to the computer, but that is not really portable with my rig. Also, I can't have the computer attached at the same time as a foot controller. I guess that's really the issue.

Thanks for all your fine advice and explanations!

steveb said:
If you can get down to just needing a merge, then the Midi Solutions 2x1 merger would probably be fine at $60:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--MSLMERGER

Come to think of it, they also make a thru box thats pretty cheap so if you dont mind a couple of boxes rattling around you could probably do what you want:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--MSLTHRU
http://www.zzounds.com/item--MSLQUADTHRUPROC

Midi Solutions doesn't seem to have a box that does both.

If you really want those MIDI Solutions boxes I have a few I'd love to get rid of. They work fine but they're plastic and not very flexible.

For about the same money you can get a used MOTO MIDI Express XT which will do all of that and more.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid ... Categories

It has USB to the computer. I have all of my MIDI gear routed to it and with the configurable routing I can set it up so that everything can be edited from the PC and/or controlled by my foot controller, etc. all without rewiring or daisy chaining or using MIDI Thrus.

axerig%20(2).jpg

Back
Top Bottom