Most Versatile Guitar for the Axe-Fx?

James Tyler USA Variax. I have the 59 version.

This is an insanely good guitar and then you have all the modeling on top too. I can go from a 12 string acoustic to a screaming overdriven guitar *in the same song* onstage in real time.

It is crazy.
Scott - how do you use the Axe with Variax? Do you need to put it through an amp? How about the acoustic models?

Old school strat with SSH, pickups to your taste. The more vintage the SC are, the more old-time you can get, and the HB gets the rest. I've done well with old-school PAF.

+1 on the James Tyler Variax. You can really get a lot of sounds out of them, the question is mostly whether it feels good to you.

I got a JTV-69....did not like the neck at all. Replaced it w/a Fender Strat Neck from StewMac and a pro-setup done on it. It kicks major but now. I can pull off altered tunings on Teles, Strats, LPs, Acoustics, and 12-strings. For a live rig it's hard to beat this w/the Axe-FX II. I just wish the JTV was a better build to begin with.

=This may not be helpful, but I believe the AFX ll can make almost any guitar sound the way one wants - seriously. Having said that, I believe a guitar with quiet/noiseless pickups is very important for any medium to hi-gain players. There is enough high-quality EQ and filtering within the AFX ll to make a Fender sound like a Gibson & vice versa, especially when distortion is involved... Just my opinion, no flames please! )

+1; I play Stratocasters, Parkers, Les Pauls, PRS, Heritage; each has it's own distinct voice sound fantastic through the Axe-Fx II!!

Last edited:
I have several guitars PRS Custom 24, EJ Start etc, but the one that offers the most options to exploit and augment the AXE-II is a Zematis Repro - with 4 wire Lindy Fralin PAF's and a custom "Jimmy Page Switching System". 21 options here

Installation Tips

also

http://www.wfzr.net/warmoth/jpoptions.pdf

My old '79 Carvin DC-120 surprisingly also has a lot of options with its extensive switching options.

Back
Top Bottom