Most EXPENSIVE Amps in the FM3.

Well, if we could get Cliff to model the amp side of the PigNose cab he’s already included, that’d be the winner right there. Those things can sound pretty awesome with some volume.
I'm sure an original Pignose amp isn't cheap...
If there was a model of Roger Deacon’s scrounged “Deacy amp” it’d be a good candidate. It’s based on a 9-volt battery-powered radio he found in the garbage and stuck into a tiny speaker cabinet. Brian May loved the sound so he recorded using it on many albums. There have been many requests for it.

Otherwise I’d say it’s the Tube Pre, or the Fender Champ models. The original circuits were about as simple as they come for guitar amps. The actual modeled Champ was probably not that cheap but the line was an entry-level amp back in the day.
That Deacy amp is probably priceless...

Tweed Champs are also not inexpensive today regardless of what they cost new ;)

If there was a model of Roger Deacon’s scrounged “Deacy amp” it’d be a good candidate. It’s based on a 9-volt battery-powered radio he found in the garbage and stuck into a tiny speaker cabinet. Brian May loved the sound so he recorded using it on many albums. There have been many requests for it.

Otherwise I’d say it’s the Tube Pre, or the Fender Champ models. The original circuits were about as simple as they come for guitar amps. The actual modeled Champ was probably not that cheap but the line was an entry-level amp back in the day.
That would be John Deacon. Roger Taylor is Queen's drummer.

I thought that model was discontinued.
I never said brand new, just "buy this exact amp right now" -- so the precise amp, in today's dollars. If you're going by "model is discontinued" then a whole lot of amps in the box can't be considered because they're many decades out of production.

Tiny Terrors are around USD$400 used now.

Maybe a used Blue Junior rivals that, but I don't think so. Might be second or third on the cheapest list.

After that it's probably the Mesa/Boogie Subway Blues at ~USD$600 used.

Then a used '64 Gibson Scout.

Check out this listing of most sought after amps and compare to the inventory (it's a little dated, but still indicative):

https://www.vintageguitar.com/24450/25-most-valuable-amplifiers/
Yes, 2014 prices and yet, the same amps are still in the lead. Prices had kind of dropped back to earth in 2014. I remember some old JTM45's, Plexi's and Park amps going for twice those amounts during the 2005-2007 era. They were pretty early amps and pretty spotless. But still, collector prices do move about. No exotic collector amps here, just saying.

Limited supply, history and mystique always matter. But, Dumbles and Trainwrecks will always be special. They were unique, well-thought-out circuits, hand-built, and fine-tuned by the amp's original designer -- some were fine-tuned for individual customers. And, those two amp designers were some of the early, custom builders. So, the provenance will get the top collector prices. But, I expect those two designers will remain in the lead for most valuable guitar amps, for a while.

Yes, 2014 prices and yet, the same amps are still in the lead. Prices had kind of dropped back to earth in 2014. I remember some old JTM45's, Plexi's and Park amps going for twice those amounts during the 2005-2007 era. They were pretty early amps and pretty spotless. But still, collector prices do move about. No exotic collector amps here, just saying.

Limited supply, history and mystique always matter. But, Dumbles and Trainwrecks will always be special. They were unique, well-thought-out circuits, hand-built, and fine-tuned by the amp's original designer -- some were fine-tuned for individual customers. And, those two amp designers were some of the early, custom builders. So, the provenance will get the top collector prices. But, I expect those two designers will remain in the lead for most valuable guitar amps, for a while.
Yes, the Dumble price really caught my eye and that's why I pointed out the info was dated, but like you said, the same bunch continues to lead the pack. I need to play the Trainwreck more.

Yes, the Dumble price really caught my eye and that's why I pointed out the info was dated, but like you said, the same bunch continues to lead the pack. I need to play the Trainwreck more.
TWs are cool amps, but a very different experience than a Dumble, at least to my ears. Extremely touch sensitive, with a great cleanup. They can be pretty darn bright, and demand a lot of attention to keep under control, but they're great sounding amps if that's what you're after.

I know you're the other resident Carol Ann fan around these parts- it's crazy to me that Alan Philips managed to make a top tier D-influenced amp in the OD2/3 series (and all of the Joe Bonamassa spinoffs), a Swiss Army knife amp that's as good as anything else out there in the Tucana series, a high gain monster in the Triptik series (someday, someday... I'll find a Triptik 2), a crystal clean amp that has a stellar clean tone in the Satin, AND managed to make a handful of TW inspired amps in the RAW35. Not to mention the Dr. Z CAZ-45 sort of combines that blood with some Dr. Z goodness. I mean, many builders have a "sound" they specialize in, but freaking Carol Anns knock it out of the park in every direction. I agree- I think if there's any justice in the amp world, CAs will be headed to legendary status. They're great amps. Prices on them have been rising over the last year or so, but hey, that's happening to everything, so who knows.

Back
Top Bottom