More Pro Tools reamping woes...

shotgunn

Fractal Fanatic
Just when I think I've got it all worked out something STILL isn't right. I just made some new sounds for a tune I'm recording. I sent the dry track into the Axe and I could tell there was less gain then when I created the patch with my guitar. I even noticed the input lights weren't lighting as high. My guitar tickles the red while tue dry track doesn't even light the red at all. All dry tracks are at unity gain. I'm stumped.

I'm a high gain djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

If your direct signal coming out of your DAW is not as hot as the original for some reason, why not just bump the fader up a bit until you get the amount of gain you're after? I don't know what converters you're using, but perhaps they're not calibrated correctly and even though your DAW shows unity gain out, maybe the Axefx isn't actually getting that level.

...just tossing out ideas. I don't claim to know a damn thing. :)

I did that today. Except now it seems too hot. I turned up the dry track by 3dB. Something strange must have went on the other day that didn't happen today. This sux!!! I wish FAS had a PT rig. I also wish Avid would help FAS with this.

Sent from my iPod.

I will try to get my PT rig rolling in the next few days. I have not touched it since... (say no more..)

Just verifying: You are using your Axe-Fx II as the ASIO device in PT via USB? If yes, then you have your session set at 48k? Just checking before I get going. I am using PT9.0.6 on W7x64 right now.

I'm on a Mac so there is no ASIO, but yes to everything else. I have intermittent success which I think is even more frustrating than having it not work at all. Thanx!!!

Sent from my iPod.

in the AxeII, treat your recorded dry track as if it were a real guitar...

set the level in the DAW such that when you look at the display on the AxeII, you are seeing the reds being tickled in the same manner as your real guitar does the tickling..

I shouldn't have to boost the dry track to get it to 'tickle the red'. When I leave the dry track @ 0.0dB and send it via USB to my II it doesn't even come close to tickling the red. So I boosted it by +3.0dB and now there is TOO much gain!!! WTF!!!

in theory yes I agree that if you recorded at 0dB and play back at 0dB you should have the same level...
however, in practice you should be prepared to concede that all things are not quite perfect and some corrections could be required..
so.. if you need a little 1.5dB boost for example to normalise your dry signal for reamping then so be it..
the more and more studio work I've done over the years the more I've come to realise that your time spent in front of the mixer is as much corrective as it is sweetening..

If your DAW is using a pan law, that could cause a level drop. With a stereo output pair selected for the dry track and Axe input select set to left only, the level reaching the Axe would be lower w/ the track panned center than with it panned left. Even with a single out selected, it wouldn't hurt to see what happens w/ pan left vs. center if the pan control remains adjustable. (In that case it might be louder at center.)

If your DAW is using a pan law, that could cause a level drop. With a stereo output pair selected for the dry track and Axe input select set to left only, the level reaching the Axe would be lower w/ the track panned center than with it panned left. Even with a single out selected, it wouldn't hurt to see what happens w/ pan left vs. center if the pan control remains adjustable. (In that case it might be louder at center.)

Ah! I think we have a winner! I had something like this happen to me in logic some time ago, don't know why it didn't occur to me to mention that :/ good call man!

This HAS to be it!!! It makes perfect sense!!! Especially since I only recorded the dry track in mono. I'll try it with a stereo dry track next. Good thinking man!!!

Sent from my iPod.

You shouldn't have to record in stereo--that probably won't change anything about what's happening. Just see if panning the track differently (center or left, whatever it's not at now) changes the master out level for the left channel.

Back
Top Bottom