More Power

Alex Kerezy

Inspired
Hi,
I've had my axe about 3 months, and just getting to place where I'm creating some custom sweet sounds and using it regularly when I play. I absolutely love the thing; and I know I'm just scratching the surface on the sounds I get. I love the exchange and being able to presets from other users.

However..... I'm running out of power
MorePower.png

OK.... I'm not honestly putting 5 reverbs in a row, but I honestly DO NEED more power.

In this preset I'm looping a bass part using a pitch shift down and a bass amp, and then playing lead on top of it with a wah effect. I wanted to put a reverb in to the bass part but I couldn't - out of juice. But I am honest about this - it does bring back horror flashbacks of my Digitech days ;-(

So when's the Axe Fx IV coming out?

Any suggestions?
PowerLess in Pittsburgh

By the way - how does one attach their presets? I tried attaching this preset

Attachments

• April Vid.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 2
You are WAY out of power. You should really not go above 80%...

Honestly, that preset doesn't look all that bad as far as the blocks.

How many IRs are you running in each Cab block? Each one adds several percent. Can you create a mixed IR instead, assuming there's more than 1 IR?

Are you using the Cab block Preamp? Set Type to None to save a few percent.

I think using Output Compressor in Amp block also adds CPU usage.

You can reduce Quality in Reverb and also the Echo Density.

The Synth block can also be a CPU hog.

Lastly, shunts do use a small amount of CPU... Eliminate the ones you don't need.

CPUs aren't limitless. Find one that is and I’m sure Cliff will put it in an Axe-Fx revision.

Do you have 4 IRs in each cab block? Consider trying 1 to get a lot of CPU back.

Buy another Axe III if you want crazy amounts of things in one signal chain.

Or reduce quality in Reverb, use one cab block, or use different presets for your more specialized uses (how often do you activate synth?) Etc.

Saying 'that's why I moved on from a Digitech' is not helping IMO. Feels like you're wondering why your Ferrari can't go 4 wheeling.

First - as always - THANKS for the ideas
I DO have multiple IRs in my cab block; I have 3. Is there any way to combine them?

I'll see if I can tweek it a bit and bring the CPU down. Thanks again!

I DO have multiple IRs in my cab block; I have 3. Is there any way to combine them?

I'll see if I can tweek it a bit and bring the CPU down. Thanks again!
a free version of Cab-Lab should do it. i don't know that program too well. but then you just have one "pre-mixed" IR which reduces CPU usage.

also, don't fall into the trap that if it isn't the highest setting available (like Reverb quality High vs Normal), it immediately sounds bad. everything in the Axe is high quality, so Normal sounds better than many pedals i've ever used. High is even crazier. i wish the qualities were named differently so people don't think "High" is necessary.

Yes. You could combine the 3 IRs per cab into a single cab slot using the Tone Match functionality, which is well suited for the task.

Last edited:
a free version of Cab-Lab should do it. i don't know that program too well. but then you just have one "pre-mixed" IR which reduces CPU usage.

also, don't fall into the trap that if it isn't the highest setting available (like Reverb quality High vs Normal), it immediately sounds bad. everything in the Axe is high quality, so Normal sounds better than many pedals i've ever used. High is even crazier. i wish the qualities were named differently so people don't think "High" is necessary.
I don't believe the free version does anything other than convert wav to syx files, but I'd be happy to be wrong.

Multiply times 2 because he's using 3 IR's per Cab block.
Yeah... He didn't quite say that - he just said "I have 3 IRs" could be only in 1 block, but who knows?

If there's 3 in each Cab block, then yeah, lots of CPU saving :)

Edit:

Or did you check the preset?

Back
Top Bottom