More output of tape delay when in series?

guitarnerdswe

Fractal Fanatic
I have a kind of weird question or request. I use the tape delay pretty much exclusively, and I run it in parallel to the dry patch. The problem is, I don't want to. I'd like to run it it in series and be able to use the global mix feature for the delay, but I can't. 2 of my 4 delay sounds need more level than the mix control allows for when in series. When I run the delay in parallel, I have them set a couple of dB plus (0.5-2 dB). Which means I can't get the same dry to wet balance when in series without removing some of my dry volume when I engage the delay.

So, is there anyway to boost the delay block internally when in series so I can get some of that juicy and handy global delay mix goodness?

I don’t understand this.

if you want more delay level, turn up the Level in the delay block.
I'm talking about when run in series. I don't want more dry signal (or less), I want more delay volume than the mix at 50% without affecting the dry level.

I'm talking about when run in series. I don't want more dry signal (or less), I want more delay volume than the mix at 50% without affecting the dry level.
Yup then you’ll have increase the mix so there’s more delay than dry signal, then adjust the level as desired.

You probably need to find the right balance just once, then use those same values in the future.

The trouble with having delay mix above 50% is that global mix adjustments just affect the dry volume (as long as resulting true mix value stays above 50%) due to the delay mix law. So you can't just have a bit more/less of that delay sound via global mix, while dry remains at unity gain.

This could be solved with some changes to the global mix system which I mentioned here:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/global-reverb-mix.109165/post-1306016

Are you using both delay lines ("heads") in the block or just one? If you use two set at the same time you would double the wet signal volume.

You can also boost it in the eq section by using one of the band as a broad boost (set Q at minimum)

The trouble with having delay mix above 50% is that global mix adjustments just affect the dry volume (as long as resulting true mix value stays above 50%) due to the delay mix law. So you can't just have a bit more/less of that delay sound via global mix, while dry remains at unity gain.

This could be solved with some changes to the global mix system which I mentioned here:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/global-reverb-mix.109165/post-1306016

Bingo! One would need to have the delay mix at least so much under 50%, so that adjusting the global delay mix doesn't mess with the dry signal. That's the whole point of that function, I presume.

Are you using both delay lines ("heads") in the block or just one? If you use two set at the same time you would double the wet signal volume.

You can also boost it in the eq section by using one of the band as a broad boost (set Q at minimum)

I am unfortunately using both heads for one of my channels, which also happens to be the the one that's the loudest. Running in parallel, that channel is set to around 2-3 dB plus, and I use it for big ambient stuff or playing U2 songs.

Another idea struck me. Maybe one could have a kill dry feature in the delay/reverb blocks? Then one could run the blocks in parallel, use the block mix control for balancing between channels, and then the global mix control would also work.

I am unfortunately using both heads for one of my channels, which also happens to be the the one that's the loudest
Be sure to also set pan 1 and pan 2 knobs to 0 when you can use use both heads as one delay line.
Anyway, as I mentioned earlier, you can boost the signal up to 12dB in the eq block without altering the tone too much.
Mind you though that the eq is in the feedback loop so you might need to reduce feedback when doing so.
Example:

TapeEQ1.JPGTapeEQ2.JPG

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom