More FRFR pondering ... only the fan free need apply.

My FRFR experiments continue. The QSC K8 was nice but the fan drove me crazy. The Verve FBT 8ma sounds sweet at low volume and in standard tuning, but if I get loud or tune down then the low end starts to fart out. I checked out the Tech 21 PE 60. The concept was nice but it may as well have had a fan, given the noise level.

So I'm still looking for the right FRFR. It has to be quiet, fan free, light weight and have a strong, tight low end. I'm considering both active and passive. Candidates so far are the Wharfdale Titan series (perhaps an 8 or more likely a 12), the Carvin LM12A (they're discontinued but you can still get them), a Hermida ported cab with a coaxial speaker, tweeter and cross over (like the one Galo River uses) with a separate power amp (perhaps a Crate Power Block?).

Any other candidates?

Any comments?

I have. There doesn't seem to be a lot that addresses these specific issues with a handful of mentioned of either of the cabs that I listed.

Off topic but had to pop in and say I like the look of your guitars. I thought you were going to be at NAMM but did not see you there. Anyway, just wanted to say nice work!!!!

Off topic but had to pop in and say I like the look of your guitars. I thought you were going to be at NAMM but did not see you there. Anyway, just wanted to say nice work!!!!

Thanks. NAMM doesn't really work very well for a small builder. We just don't make enough guitars to justify the cost. We were at a much smaller show promoted by the promoter of the Amp Shows at a hotel about two miles away. Hopefully they'll be doing it again next year and more people will know abut it.

Back
Top Bottom