More Euro model confusion

james...

Experienced
There's a conflict of truth on what channels of the XTC the Euro models are actually made after.

According to this page the Euro 1 is modelled after the blue channel while Euro 2 is the red.

However, when you look in the manual it has something different to say.
Euro 1 - Based on a German high-gain amp, these amps pay homage to the British amps but with lots more gain and more high-frequency emphasis. This type simulates the overdrive channel with the boost and “structure” switches off.
Euro 2 - As above but with the boost and structure switches on. This one has lots of gain and plenty of low-end chunk along with a crispy top-end. Great for modern metal.

So which is it?

I've always had trouble dialing in these models, and I think it's because I've been treating them like the blue channel when I think they might actually be the red channel. Or maybe it's vice versa and I just don't like them.

james... said:
There's a conflict of truth on what channels of the XTC the Euro models are actually made after.

According to this page the Euro 1 is modelled after the blue channel while Euro 2 is the red.

However, when you look in the manual it has something different to say.
Euro 1 - Based on a German high-gain amp, these amps pay homage to the British amps but with lots more gain and more high-frequency emphasis. This type simulates the overdrive channel with the boost and “structure” switches off.
Euro 2 - As above but with the boost and structure switches on. This one has lots of gain and plenty of low-end chunk along with a crispy top-end. Great for modern metal.

So which is it?

The models were redone in 9.0. to the 20th Anniversary. I don't recall Cliff stating he did the blue channel though. I'll look through past posts.
edit:
since he joking stated he was going to name the models boner red and blue; the WIKI is correct.

Cliff told me in a PM many moons about about what he based the Euro models on originally. Blue channel Ecstasy 101B with boost/structure on (Euro 2) and off (Euro 1).

In response to a PM question from me, Cliff confirmed that in firmware V9.0 he redid the Euro models based on the Blue Channel of the 20th Anniversary Ecstasy (Euro1) and the Red Channel of the same (Euro2). I updated the Wiki to reflect that change.

****EDIT: Updated source of information here; via PM from Cliff****

james... said:
I've always had trouble dialing in these models, and I think it's because I've been treating them like the blue channel when I think they might actually be the red channel. Or maybe it's vice versa and I just don't like them.

If you don't like them then there are loads more high gain models to choose from. I fell into the trap of treating amps like the real world versions and was not happy with what I was getting back. I've got out of that habit and things are working much better for me now.

For info the Euro models were completeley reworked in v8.something (I think) and modelled from the actual amp. If you are using either editor (over the front of the axe) then the default values will most likley be way off (Check Bright, Low Cut/High Cut/Warmth/Thump etc....) for the new versions, worth a look :)

Spence

Scott Peterson said:
Cliff told me in a PM many moons about about what he based the Euro models on originally. Blue channel Ecstasy 101B with boost/structure on (Euro 2) and off (Euro 1).

In the release notes with firmware V9.0 he redid the Euro models based on the Blue Channel of the 20th Anniversary Ecstasy (Euro1) and the Red Channel of the same (Euro2). I updated the Wiki to reflect that change.

Just an FYI (even though you are correct about the model)
It actually only states:

"Euro 1 & 2 models have been totally reworked. " in the release notes.

javajunkie said:
Scott Peterson said:

In the release notes with firmware V9.0 he redid the Euro models based on the Blue Channel of the 20th Anniversary Ecstasy (Euro1) and the Red Channel of the same (Euro2). I updated the Wiki to reflect that change.

It actually only states:

I probably PM'd Cliff. I am 100% confident of my facts, if not so much on where or how I found out. :D

***EDIT: I just checked and it was via PM to Cliff. My information is correct. I still have the PM.***

Scott Peterson said:
javajunkie said:
[quote="Scott Peterson":1jfsgvpc]Cliff told me in a PM many moons about about what he based the Euro models on originally. Blue channel Ecstasy 101B with boost/structure on (Euro 2) and off (Euro 1).

It actually only states:

I probably PM'd Cliff. I am 100% confident of my facts, if not so much on where or how I found out. :D

***EDIT: I just checked and it was via PM to Cliff. My information is correct. I still have the PM.***[/quote:1jfsgvpc]

Yeah, I was pretty sure you were right. I just knew the release notes didn't have it.

I have a "real" Ecstasy 20th Ann. The Axe-Fx 9.0 sims are really, really close to the real amp.
With Euro1 you may want to turn the Bright switch on for better results.

The new euro models have become my main amps. I use channel 1 for my clean jazz sound its really warm and squishy with a little compression and peq I'm amazed at the results. Also I can get great distortion sounds from channel 2 from low to high gain thanks again cliff this really did it for me!

I have some footage from my last gig when the update first came out and I'm in the process of editing it to put on youtube, I'll post them when I'm done. However my sound has changed a bit since then with radleys peq advise I was able to dial out certain things that were bugging me

An interesting factoid.

I dialed in the Euro 2 model for a mid-high gain sound and compared it to my budda patch that was dialed for the same general sound.

The two models sounded frighteningly close. The XTC was slightly woodier but other than that there was no difference. Odd.

It's a conspiracy ... All the amp sims are actually the same ... Noone has had the courage so far to come forward and say it ...
;-)

Oh don't get me wrong lol. They were different in character...barely.

What's funny is both amps had completely different settings yet they were shockingly similar.

james... said:
Oh don't get me wrong lol. They were different in character...barely.

What's funny is both amps had completely different settings yet they were shockingly similar.

When I tweak things for some reason I seem to gravitate to similar sounds that sounds good to me even when using different gear. When comparing them later on thay are usually pretty close.

Mik.

Back
Top Bottom