More “bloom” from palm mutes?

blastbeatdown

Inspired
Just wondering if there are any specific parameters that you associate with getting more bloom from an amp model. I use the Atomica High with the Grinder boost +19, gain around 6.5-7, saturation drive at default settings. I don’t really want any more gain 😂 feel like I would be losing clarity at that point. I cut a lot of lows in the preamp to keep the chugs tight (I tune low). I usually keep speaker drive low on high gain stuff. Let me know if there’s something I should tinker with.

Assuming your headroom meter is filled to 0.0 db most of the time in axe edit iii, or power amp / master volume high

I suggest adjusting supply sag and b+ time constant values in power supply section

What you are describing by “bloom” can be adjusted by those parameters.

again assuming your master volume is high or power amp is being used substantially

Assuming your headroom meter is filled to 0.0 db most of the time in axe edit iii, or power amp / master volume high

I suggest adjusting supply sag and b+ time constant values in power supply section

What you are describing by “bloom” can be adjusted by those parameters.

again assuming your master volume is high or power amp is being used substantially
Master volume is a little higher than default, so yes there is a little bit of power amp coloring going on.

You have too much gain and cut. Also check technique.
Technique is good. I’m no EVH but I assure you I can chug with the best of em. Thanks for all the suggestions. I didn’t care for the results when I dialed back the low cut. Most of you would think I’m nuts, but the Fas Modern III defaults to a 580 hz low cut. For an 8 string it’s plausible.

Have you tried letting more low through instead of the grinder? You're possibly just cutting too much. You can also play with input/output compression but it's going to make it noisier
I dig the TS808 Mod for 6-7 string stuff but for 8 string I def prefer the Grinder. I’ll take this into consideration thanks.

Just wondering if there are any specific parameters that you associate with getting more bloom from an amp model. I use the Atomica High with the Grinder boost +19, gain around 6.5-7, saturation drive at default settings. I don’t really want any more gain 😂 feel like I would be losing clarity at that point. I cut a lot of lows in the preamp to keep the chugs tight (I tune low). I usually keep speaker drive low on high gain stuff. Let me know if there’s something I should tinker with.
just run it on krk monitors everything has bloom on krk due to the over emphasised low end xD
Use a multi band comp to boost your chugs specifically, What i understand is you want that punch , in the mutes . and not an overall emphasized low then thats stronger.
also dont use preamp cuts higher than 250hz.
atomica doesnt necessarily have that bloom. what you will find in fas hot rod
one thing you can try is switching the impedance curve to 1x12 v30 . you might need to re eq after this cause it will change the sound by alot. but this curve has the best attack , definition and bloom sorta feeling for anything low tuned
try lower sag higher b+ values, or simply put the xformer matching to 0.5.

Last edited:
If you have any 3rd party IRs, try mixing in back/rear mic'd as well as cone-edge IRs. I believe I know what you're referring to, and while these IRs may help, not much is going to replace volume to get it. I would describe bloom as the low end resonance that thumps you in the chest.

If you have any 3rd party IRs, try mixing in back/rear mic'd as well as cone-edge IRs. I believe I know what you're referring to, and while these IRs may help, not much is going to replace volume to get it. I would describe bloom as the low end resonance that thumps you in the chest.
The best way I can describe bloom is the way a palm mute resonates and opens up as you sustain the chord, almost like a swell. It’s one of my favorite things about a nice tube amp. Playing loud through a cab def helps, so maybe I always associated it with tubes when in reality it’s a woody resonance. I think I’m standing pat with my tone tbh. Just wanted to hear what others think.

the right cab and speakers are crucial, as is reverb with the right room size and decay for the bloom you want.
blasting in the real world inevitably creates some reverb, even if you aren't running any amp/pedal reverb.
you won't get 100% of the bloom without air somewhere in your signal chain. a little goes a long way.

Misha Mansoor has discussed this on several youtube videos. Even shows how he does it on the Axefx III. Sorry, but don't remember which video exactly.

The best way I can describe bloom is the way a palm mute resonates and opens up as you sustain the chord, almost like a swell. It’s one of my favorite things about a nice tube amp. Playing loud through a cab def helps, so maybe I always associated it with tubes when in reality it’s a woody resonance. I think I’m standing pat with my tone tbh. Just wanted to hear what others think.
I'm not sure I get the concept, but I'll throw in a couple of tricks I learnt here in the forum eons ago and I never stopped using since for my palm mutes, just in case they ring a bell:
1) Add an adaptive envelope-follower high-pass filter before the amp: this rises the cut frequency with the strength of the input signal, cutting more bass the stronger the signal. This adds a great dynamic effect to the transients while maintaining clarity in fast riffs.
1673036701898.png
1673036528635.png
2) Adding a noise gate after drive and before amp: the idea is to have an additional gain stage and play with the gate threshold to cut the palm mute tails before they enter the amp, which renders extremely tight palm mutes tails.

I saw someone mentioned multi-band compressor. Have you tried that? I don't quite get into the djenty low-tuned stuff, but I love my palm mutes with a multi-band compressor. Keeps them powerful and tight without blowing out your signal and getting unwanted rumble.

Also, have this may sound too on-the-nose, but have you tried playing with the Speaker Thump parameter? THAT might be what you're going after with "bloom"

Back
Top Bottom