Mono CLR or stereo EV/QSC/Mackie/Etc and New Vs. Used

Krakadon

Inspired
Hello Fractalites. I don't usually go in for the "what gear should I buy?" thing. That said, I am agonizing over this choice so maybe feedback from other users can help me out.

After 10 years of playing exclusively in my home studio through high quality studio reference monitors and headphones I am at last going to be playing out with some other musicians at rehearsals and gigs. I feel like a part of me has been missing all of this time and is finally being restored. If money were no object I'd go for a MFC-101 with two Mission pedals and two active CLRs. Unfortunately my budget is $1,200, $1,500 tops. So I'm going for a FCB1010 with Eureka eprom for foot controller. Now I'm trying to decide on the monitors. I need to be able to monitor myself on-stage and I need to play louder than a loud metal drummer in rehearsal (with no PA). I'd also like to be able to monitor in stereo during practice and rehersal and I'd like to be able to play sequences from Digital Performer for accompaniment, again without a PA. Finally I'd like to be able to use these monitors to crank up tunes during house parties and to use along with my MOTU card as mixer for light PA duty.

So I'm wondering if should go for a single CLR to get the best mono tone and forego the stereo possibilities or forego the best tone for really good tone with stereo capability. What do you think? If I go stereo my budget only allows for new EV ELX112Ps, new RCF ART 312A MKIIIs, used Mackie HD1221s or used QSC K12s (at least from the shortlist I came up with). So no RCF NX12-SMA, JBL PRX712, Mackie DLM12, Yamaha DSR112, etc. If you think stereo any preferred speaker choice?

Speaking of used I'm concerned about buying used speakers with no warranty. There is lots of gear that I don't have a concern with this but mid-priced PA speakers seem like they can have reliability problems, especially if they have been gigged/toured. But obviously one can save many hundreds of dollars. So what do you think new or used for FRFR?

Thanks in advance to those who reply.

If you go stereo it's mainly going to be for you when your playing guitar, I like that so it has my vote right off the bat. Track playback I have to vote stereo as well nothing worse than listing to tracks with only half of the content. Though you could sum with a mixing board but it just doesn't sound the same even though all of the info is there.

If budget is the main concern and not so much how flat the speaker is then I would say the EV's. Another option could be the Seismic stuff you seem to get a lot of bang for the buck but I suspect the EV's are better quality.

If it is mostly for live playing I would get a single NEO CLR if I could afford it. Single CLR is loud. For listening to tracks 2 speakers is better though.

Stereo is nice but I'd rather have a single active CLR wedge than two of anything else. Except maybe if you could get a deal on a matrix amp and two xitone wedges. They are really fun! Stereo Xitone wedges may be better than a single CLR. Guess I'm not really helping much, but you may be able to do either with your budget. These are all plenty loud and you don't need to worry about a warranty. Built pretty dang good. Audio playback is good on both options.

I'd vote CLR is you are looking for the best sound. It's clean, clear, accurate and sweet.
That being said, the 'loud metal drummer' comment makes me think you may need more than one wedge.
If you do just get one wedge, put it on a tripod so that the whole band can hear you. The CLR can get crazy loud, but it's not going to feel like a 4x12 cab. But the tripod (elevation) will help you project quite a bit.

If you really want stereo at that budget, I would absolutely go with a pair of used QSC HPR 122i's. I like the CLR much better than the QSC....BUT, you will find a pair of QSC's for around 800-900 dollars, and they sound really good.
They would be great for PA duty as well. I liked the QSC HPR's better than the QSC K12, KW122 and JBL PRX500 series. They are my favorite 'budget' speaker.

I have two old sayings that may apply here...

"The bitter taste of poor quality lingers long after the sweet taste of low price is forgotten."

"It only costs a little more to go first class, and you're rarely sorry."

I'd rather have one Atomic CLR than two of most others. Besides, stereo onstage is largely over-hyped. Stereo reproduction was invented to re-create the sound field of a live stage. If you're on a live stage, it's redundant unless it's being used for some theatrical effect, such as Pink Floyd might use.

I have a pair of EV ELX115P's. I think they sound great. The 15's are flatter then the 12's. Check the specs.

The EV ELX 112 when I bought was €750. The CLR is coming in at $999, which is roughly the same. I can't comment on the differences yet, but when I get home I'm getting 2 CLRs.

I used 2 ELX112P's for about a year at home. About a month ago I bought a CLR. Liked it so much ,(even just in mono), I bought a second last week. The EV's are ok but sound like a guitar through a PA to me. CLR sounds like a guitar through an amp/cab.

I got my CLR about a month ago or so, and it was just like getting the Axe Fx - a sea change. Some of the best money I've ever spent. They don't give the little rascals away, but man are they worth it. Highly recommended.

I have not tried CLRs but have been very happy with the ELX115p's and have a few of them. I use for guitar at home, our bands PA, and for DJ/KJ work. If your budget is up to $1500 here is another option to consider:
Get a pair of demo or factory returned ELX115p speakers from ebay (proaudiostar is great and will be $950-$1000 shipped)
Get yourself a used MFC-101 rather than FCB... You can find them on the forum for $500-550 and pickup the pedals when you can.

Good luck in your decision!

I'd get the single CLR for now (Neo if you're gigging), and save up for a 2nd CLR for stereo or additional reinforcement. If money is tight, you'll regret the hit you'll take on inferior gear down the road. I have a single CLR, and wish I had room in my studio for a 2nd; while I like the tone of the Axe better than through my smaller 5" studio monitors, I miss the stereo effects the Axe has to offer.

One thing to consider is that the CLR may not be your best option if your band is heavy but backline-only: the CLR will accurately reproduce your tone, but higher distortion levels will smooth the transients, making your parts more difficult to pick out in backline position only. In that situation you really need a tube power amp + 4x12 to provide the backline. If everyone is running through a P.A. + monitors/IEMs, the CLR route is definitely recommended.

Single NEO CLR Active Wedge.

You can always add a second one later, when you have the money for it.

At the beginning of this thread, I was going to write "buy a single CLR, then you can buy another one with time..". Then I saw that the guys above me already wrote it...

I have a CLR, don't know about the other speakers, but I'm happy with it. If you buy one now, you'll have mono for a while but you can try it out and if it is no good for you, sell it again. If you happen to like it and still think you need a stereo, you can buy another one later.

Back
Top Bottom