Monitor Management Recommendations

GotMetalBoy

Power User
I use 3 pairs of speakers and a subwoofer to compare mixes. I've been using a $99.99 Samson C-Control for over 10 years but the main volume knob is starting to go bad, so it's time to upgrade.

I bought a $99.99 Behringer Xenyx CONTROL1USB but it sounded distorted, really colored the sound, caused a loud high pitch noise in the monitors and there was a high pitch noise coming from the internal power supply that made the noise even if nothing was connected to it. I'm returning it to Musicians Friend and they even emailed me a return label, so I don't have to pay for the shipping :)

Here's what I'm looking at. Please feel free to make suggestions or recommendations. I want to get something that can adjust each speakers level. I know I won't be able to independently adjust my Kenwood Receiver's two speaker outs but I'd like to be able to adjust what I send to it. I'm not sure if I like the idea of having a bunch of long patch cables sticking out of the back of the PreSonus Monitor Station V2 or Mackie Big Knob because I've been used to using short patch cables, so I'm leaning more towards the Radial MC3 or PreSonus Central Station Plus with the Remote Control.
  • $259.99 Radial MC3
  • $299.99 PreSonus Monitor Station V2
  • $299.99 Mackie Big Knob
  • $599.95 PreSonus Central Station Plus which comes with a Remote Control

Here's how I have everything connected:
  • Line 6 POD Studio UX2 > TRS > Input 1 Samson C-Control
  • Axe-Fx II MKI > SPDIF > Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 > TRS > Input 2 Samson C-Control
  • Samson C-Control Output A > TRS > M-Audio BX8
  • Samson C-Control Output B > RCA > Kenwood AR-404 Receiver
  • Samson C-Control Output C > RCA > KRK Rokit 10S RP10S (Also has XLR, TRS and TS)
  • Kenwood AR-404 Receiver Speaker A > Pioneer 6x9 Car Speakers in speaker boxes
  • Kenwood AR-404 Receiver Speaker B > Fisher STV-884 Floor Speakers

I know I'm using a lot of old crap but I've been using this gear for years and know it's limitations and am most familiar with how everything sounds as a benchmark. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, until the GAS kicks in ;)

I've used the Mackie Big Knob for years and love it. I find it very transparent for the money.

I am upgrading to the Avocet though not because of anything wrong with the Mackie. I'm building a new studio and moving up the food chain on some pieces of kit.

I've used the Mackie Big Knob for years and love it. I find it very transparent for the money.

I am upgrading to the Avocet though not because of anything wrong with the Mackie. I'm building a new studio and moving up the food chain on some pieces of kit.

I'm using the Big Knob also, testing it out, but I have used the Central Station before and it sounded great.

How long of cables do you use to go to the Big Knob?

I only have 1.5ft TRS cables, so I'd need to get longer ones. I'm just worried that having cables going across my desk will look cluttered. I've tried to find pictures of people's Big Knob setups but couldn't find anything except close ups. Haha that sounds horrible.

I've already ruled out the Radial MC3 because it only has 1 input.

I only have 1.5ft TRS cables, so I'd need to get longer ones. I'm just worried that having cables going across my desk will look cluttered. I've tried to find pictures of people's Big Knob setups but couldn't find anything except close ups. Haha that sounds horrible.

I'm sure that yielded some interesting Google results that probably had nothing to with audio recording.

I have approximately four feet of cable between my interface and my Big Knob and it's black cable across a black desk so it looks fine.

Last edited:
Gday,
Not sure it's much help but I've been using an x32 for a while and was presented with the same problem. I learned how to program snippets (small bunches of text that script instructions to the desk) and figured out how to change the active outputs, configure the levels for subs and mains, and apply a tad of eq depending on which monitors are in use. Sounds like a pain...and it was... But now I press one button, and I'm listening through 15 inch three ways with a touch of subs....press another, and I'm listening to near fields with the sub a little more prominent. It works really well and after setting up (did I mention what a pain it was?) it's really really convenient.
I mention this because if your interfaces have say 6 outputs, you may be able to connect up two sets of monitors, and a sub to do what I have done using whatever scripting tools are available.
Htm
Pauly

My desk has cable management ports so the cables run into the port (hole) and under. The length of the cables are different for the speakers, sub and inputs.

I have vintage Yamaha NS10's with a vintage Yamaha SS power amp on Speaker A, Atomic CLR powered wedges on sticks on Speaker B, and a HSU sub on C.

One interesting thing about the big knob is you can have more than one input active at a time. E.g. the Fractal and computer / DAW output.

My desk has cable management ports so the cables run into the port (hole) and under. The length of the cables are different for the speakers, sub and inputs.

I have vintage Yamaha NS10's with a vintage Yamaha SS power amp on Speaker A, Atomic CLR powered wedges on sticks on Speaker B, and a HSU sub on C.

One interesting thing about the big knob is you can have more than one input active at a time. E.g. the Fractal and computer / DAW output.

When you say "cable management ports", are you referring to these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PC-Desk-Bla...-Top-Cable-Hole-Cover-20-Pcs-E8-/111975244062

A big more of a budget item, but the Behringer Control Surface is a very useful device. I use it as the primary controller for my DAW studio and it's very versatile.

Back
Top Bottom