money is inbound the next few months....

The_Kid

Experienced
and I can finally upgrade from my Ground Control Pro to a more advanced foot controller.

My options I'm interested in are:

Mastermind GT10/pc editor 1299.99
Liquid Foot+ 12+/pc editor 899.00
MFC 101 749.95

The pc editor is key to me, coming from the GCP's lack of any ease of assigning patch names and such....but I understand the MFC is made to read the information automatically and essentially balances out the pc editor the other controllers have.

I get as well that on the top level, all the functions of the three will be somewhat identical. So what are the differences that would warrant spending the extra money on the LF or the GT10? I understand a 'retail' value is built into that price a bit.....but there has to be some additional features that add into the higher price.

Can anyone comment on what I'd benefit from by not going with the MFC?

Thanks in advance.

no help? I watched several videos....and I can see the differences between the MFC and the Liquid Foot+ 12+ units...aside from the pc editor. But when I watched the videos of the RJM vs the Liquid Foot' controllers, it seems they have several of the same features. The LAMF 12 button is 899, the RJM 10 button is 1299.....???? There has to be a reason for the $400 difference. I could see maybe a $100-$150 difference for difference of manufacturing materials, but $400 seems high for just that. Both seem to have same functionality regarding screen information, IA functionality, button layout possibilities.....only thing is the RJM has the larger main screen...

Anything I'm missing for the extra $400?

Are you solely using the axe fx? What do you plan to use regarding cc's, expression pedals, scenes, how many presets...etc.

Would you benefit from the multiple label screens? From what I recall between the RJM and Liquid foot is the Liquid foot actually has some more functions. I think you can have 20 commands per switch and the RJM is only 10.

Everyone on here always says (and I completely agree) that if you are using more midi gear than just the axe, the other controllers tend to be more suited. If all you use is the axe I'd maybe say a used MFC would do great. I use the liquid foot pro and it has been nothing but great. I also don't usually just use the axe alone.

That would be correct for me, I really only use the Axe Ultra Gen 1. That was a great question to ask, and I should have stated that right away. My GCP has some buttons that are not working on it, and its really limiting what I can do on it right now, which is why i'm looking to 'upgrade'.

Things I dont like/can't do with my GCP right now:
1) only 2 layout modes. either 10 presets, or 4 presets/8 instant access buttons. 10 Presets means no IA's, but I dont have a use for 8 of them. There is no middle ground. So either I dont have access to my tuner/Tap Tempo options, or I have wasted buttons for IA's I dont use. So flexible layout configuration is key for me. All units have that from what I have found.
2) no pc editor. This makes everytime we add a song, change setlists, blah blah.....a NIGHTMARE. Just adding a song between two songs means it will shift the songs after that up one preset on the GCP. This means manually programming the names in AGAIN, which is a pain.....but is an even bigger pain due to my '-' button not working, which means I can only cycle through alphabet in one direction.....you can imagine how annoying it is to have to go all the way around to get a 'G' when I'm on 'H'. lol...

I do like the multi colored screens the LAMF has over the MFC....being able to color menu/function/IA buttons different colors is a nice feature. I could be happy with the MFC and only the 2 color LED lights though....

I'm pretty sold on the LAMF+ 12+, I just was curious why the RJM was so much more....if it offered features that I may use but havent found in the literature on the website or the videos. The LAMF video pretty much sold me on its functionality.

and I can finally upgrade from my Ground Control Pro to a more advanced foot controller.

The pc editor is key to me, coming from the GCP's lack of any ease of assigning patch names and such....but I understand the MFC is made to read the information automatically and essentially balances out the pc editor the other controllers have.

You can download the Fedit V2 MFC-101 Dump File Editor from www.eJozSoftware.com

Included with the download are various factory load dumps so you could configure the unit before it arrives at your your house. If you have any questions on how to do it let me know.

Cheers,
Jason

That would be correct for me, I really only use the Axe Ultra Gen 1. That was a great question to ask, and I should have stated that right away. My GCP has some buttons that are not working on it, and its really limiting what I can do on it right now, which is why i'm looking to 'upgrade'.

Things I dont like/can't do with my GCP right now:
1) only 2 layout modes. either 10 presets, or 4 presets/8 instant access buttons. 10 Presets means no IA's, but I dont have a use for 8 of them. There is no middle ground. So either I dont have access to my tuner/Tap Tempo options, or I have wasted buttons for IA's I dont use. So flexible layout configuration is key for me. All units have that from what I have found.
2) no pc editor. This makes everytime we add a song, change setlists, blah blah.....a NIGHTMARE. Just adding a song between two songs means it will shift the songs after that up one preset on the GCP. This means manually programming the names in AGAIN, which is a pain.....but is an even bigger pain due to my '-' button not working, which means I can only cycle through alphabet in one direction.....you can imagine how annoying it is to have to go all the way around to get a 'G' when I'm on 'H'. lol...

I do like the multi colored screens the LAMF has over the MFC....being able to color menu/function/IA buttons different colors is a nice feature. I could be happy with the MFC and only the 2 color LED lights though....

I'm pretty sold on the LAMF+ 12+, I just was curious why the RJM was so much more....if it offered features that I may use but havent found in the literature on the website or the videos. The LAMF video pretty much sold me on its functionality.

Yea I mean the Liquid Foot's are pretty great. Hard to beat imo. Even without an editor for my LFP (its because of mac and outdated LFP, I know the new ones have the editor), its a simple autoload the presets from the axe and I'm ready to go with IA states and preset names...

Hate to even push but have you thought about instead upgrading to a II and finding a cheap old Liquid foot pro around 400 or maybe even a jr.? The LF+ are pretty pricy. Just a thought here. Sounds like you've made up your mind of course.

I'm perfectly happy with my Gen 1 Ultra. I really have no need to upgrade. I'd be cool to have all the amps in the II, but I only use about 10 amps total right now in my Ultra and it covers my Fender cleans, Marshall Roars, and Recto Thumps enough for our setlist, with a few fun tones in between.

The pc editor for the LAMF and the ease of plug and play for the MFC really balance out in my head. So its more the screens and other features.

I've used a wide variety of MIDI controllers over the years. I am very pleased with the MFC-101. It's pretty easy to program, and there are options for computer-based editors if you want to go that route. The MFC-101 is very solid, and it's a great piece of hardware.

Out of the box plug-n-play, ready to go compatibility? MFC101

Power and expandability that will do everything you need for the foreseeable future, PLUS have a free editor? Liquid Foot

I went through the same gyrations a few months back and considered the exact same options you listed above. I ended up going with the LF+ Pro+ and would make the same decision again if needed.

Hands down the most versatile controller I've ever used. Combined with a couple of your favorite expression pedals and you'll never want for a controller setup again. Period.

Good luck with your decision, but others who recently posted the same sort of question ended up going the LF route too.

My options I'm interested in are:

Mastermind GT10/pc editor 1299.99
Liquid Foot+ 12+/pc editor 899.00
MFC 101 749.95

I get as well that on the top level, all the functions of the three will be somewhat identical. So what are the differences that would warrant spending the extra money on the LF or the GT10? I understand a 'retail' value is built into that price a bit.....but there has to be some additional features that add into the higher price.

Can anyone comment on what I'd benefit from by not going with the MFC?

Thanks in advance.

Personally 10 or 12 buttons doesn't cut it for my needs.
IF you're going to do this, go all the way.
I'd pop for the Mastermind GT-16 rather than the GT-10.

Here's a link to mine:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/other-midi-controllers/80638-poll-mfc-vs-liquidfoot-vs-something-else-4.html#75

I have a MFC-101 MK2 I don't need any more...
If you're interested?

Last edited:
I did look at that thread with the poll on it. Honestly, the way I have built my patches (song per preset), and then arrange the presets in setlist order....I dont have a need to use more than 2 buttons for presets. I prefer to use 4, just so its easier to jump around when we change things up mid set.

so that would be 4 buttons, I would prefer to use 2 of them for Tuner/Tap Tempo....so that puts me at 6. I dont really have a 'need' for the other 6 or so....it would just be nice and give me some flexibility. I've always been curious about the song mode (I think I get the idea, but dont quite fully grasp that concept yet).

I run my patch/preset controls much differently than most I'm guessing. I play and sing and it makes for the easiest transitions. I have to change patches/IA's whatever with my left foot...and with the way I stand, it makes for some awkward stage shuffling to shift the weight just to push a button. (Weird I know). I have my stuff setup so that each patch/preset has all the sounds for the song...some are split between 2 amps/fx routings. The signal patch is switched by my left foot controller, which alternately bypasses/activates filter blocks at the beginning of each signal chain. My right expression pedal is my lead boost, which activates a drive pedal before the amp, delay block, null filter block with 4.4db boost. Both are setup so that toe down is one signal path (usually clean), or my rhythm sound. As soon as I bring the toe up a bit, it will auto trigger the other signal path or turn on the lead blocks I designated. I can 'strike a pose' and rock out, without looking awkwardly off balance. Also makes for easy singing and playing cause I can keep my foot anchored and just rock it toe/heel down to change sounds or so. There can be some tricky programming to fit it all in one patch at times...but this is why I like the programming flexibilty of the Liquid foot/MFC/GTMM units as my GCP is stuck with two layouts, and neither really give me song mode the way I think it will help me.

Again...my own way...and as far as I know, no one else I've seen on here uses patch changing that way....so where most would turn on an IA for Drive/Delay/boost whatever....I have that programmed in to my foot controller expression pedals.

I've rambled, but i think you may get it. lol....

I did look at that thread with the poll on it. Honestly, the way I have built my patches (song per preset), and then arrange the presets in setlist order....I dont have a need to use more than 2 buttons for presets. I prefer to use 4, just so its easier to jump around when we change things up mid set.

so that would be 4 buttons, I would prefer to use 2 of them for Tuner/Tap Tempo....so that puts me at 6. I dont really have a 'need' for the other 6 or so....it would just be nice and give me some flexibility. I've always been curious about the song mode (I think I get the idea, but dont quite fully grasp that concept yet).

I run my patch/preset controls much differently than most I'm guessing. I play and sing and it makes for the easiest transitions. I have to change patches/IA's whatever with my left foot...and with the way I stand, it makes for some awkward stage shuffling to shift the weight just to push a button. (Weird I know). I have my stuff setup so that each patch/preset has all the sounds for the song...some are split between 2 amps/fx routings. The signal patch is switched by my left foot controller, which alternately bypasses/activates filter blocks at the beginning of each signal chain. My right expression pedal is my lead boost, which activates a drive pedal before the amp, delay block, null filter block with 4.4db boost. Both are setup so that toe down is one signal path (usually clean), or my rhythm sound. As soon as I bring the toe up a bit, it will auto trigger the other signal path or turn on the lead blocks I designated. I can 'strike a pose' and rock out, without looking awkwardly off balance. Also makes for easy singing and playing cause I can keep my foot anchored and just rock it toe/heel down to change sounds or so. There can be some tricky programming to fit it all in one patch at times...but this is why I like the programming flexibilty of the Liquid foot/MFC/GTMM units as my GCP is stuck with two layouts, and neither really give me song mode the way I think it will help me.

Again...my own way...and as far as I know, no one else I've seen on here uses patch changing that way....so where most would turn on an IA for Drive/Delay/boost whatever....I have that programmed in to my foot controller expression pedals.

I've rambled, but i think you may get it. lol....

You've got a great setup and I can see how well it would work for you, especially since you are singing.

The MMGT song mode is pretty simple.
In the Editor, you label the name of the songs and then click on the presets you want to use for the songs.

You assign a "Song Menu" button and that gets you to a page of all the songs. This works nicely if your band changes set lists frequently.
Other song list modes are sequential, so you have to get it worked out before every show.

They also have a "Set List" mode which basically let's arrange groups of songs into labeled Set's.

Based on your setup, you have it down and would probably not benefit much from it though.

RJM has the editor software online for you to download and play around with.
I highly recommend that if you decide to go with the GT-10

Last edited:
For me, I do like the extra features the LAMF and MMGT provide, but I dont see the advantages I'd get by paying more for the MMGT. Sure the MMGT 16/22 and such have more buttons, but the funcationality to me seems the same.

Going back to song/setlist mode. I just want to make sure I understand it before I splurge on a board with that feature. So, in that mode, my 'presets' (aka buttons, would be labeled as Songs. We, for instance, start out with Gel by Collective Soul. So my first 'preset' would be the Gel-Song. When I click on that, my pedalboard layout would show that I need my CAE rhythm patch, and also a lead patch (if I desired to make a separate one). This song only requires one 'sound/preset' so thats the only one I'd see while 'GEL' was highlighted. When I would go to my 2nd song, Hey Jealousy by The Gin Blossoms, I would then see that my layout would show that I have a JCM800, Fender Clean, and a Solo patch all available under that Song's button, and so on and so on for the songs.

I can then arrange the 'songs' as mentioned above, into a setlist order and save multiple setlists. For instance we run 2, 90 minute sets.....and have an extra songs set. As we have about 70 songs we can play, we have quite a few in the extra list that we swap out as the crowd dictates.

Am I understanding that correctly?

For me, I do like the extra features the LAMF and MMGT provide, but I dont see the advantages I'd get by paying more for the MMGT. Sure the MMGT 16/22 and such have more buttons, but the funcationality to me seems the same.

Going back to song/setlist mode. I just want to make sure I understand it before I splurge on a board with that feature. So, in that mode, my 'presets' (aka buttons, would be labeled as Songs. We, for instance, start out with Gel by Collective Soul. So my first 'preset' would be the Gel-Song. When I click on that, my pedalboard layout would show that I need my CAE rhythm patch, and also a lead patch (if I desired to make a separate one). This song only requires one 'sound/preset' so thats the only one I'd see while 'GEL' was highlighted. When I would go to my 2nd song, Hey Jealousy by The Gin Blossoms, I would then see that my layout would show that I have a JCM800, Fender Clean, and a Solo patch all available under that Song's button, and so on and so on for the songs.

Exactly! You pick a song and only see the patches (Presets) you designated for that song.
Pick a new song and everything changes to how you set up the Presets for that song.

I can then arrange the 'songs' as mentioned above, into a setlist order and save multiple setlists. For instance we run 2, 90 minute sets.....and have an extra songs set. As we have about 70 songs we can play, we have quite a few in the extra list that we swap out as the crowd dictates.

Yes! You can access different set lists of songs by pressing the "Set list Menu" button.

Am I understanding that correctly?

Yes you got the concept. This is a very powerful tool for musicians who play lots of songs. What's cool is when you are in "Song Mode" you can use "Bank Up" to go to the next song or press the "Song Menu" button to see a group of songs and then pick the one you want.

All of this is easy using the MMGT editor. Click on a song and then click on the presets you want.
Once you have your song list, you can drop and drag songs into any order.

Here's a link to a video. The set list is explained toward the end of the vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0imSGbUzDDM

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom