Mojotone Quiet Coil P90

Dendrite

Inspired
I have a strat style guitar with a P90 in the neck. I really like what comes out of it, really gives me what I need on some songs... but the hum I get is a bit maddening. It's somewhat irritating to me, but sound guy/director/etc are giving me noise (pun totally intended) about it. So I'm going to address it.

I think there are a number of reasonable options for quiet P90s, but looking around I stumbled across the mojotone quiet coil. Relatively new, not a lot of reviews out there, but from what I can tell it seems promising. I'm going to drop an order for one this week, but was wondering if anyone has experience with one of these, or if I'm the first to give one a go around here?

Order placed, about $120 shipped. Sounds like 5-10 days build time, then shipping from North Carolina (USA designed and hand made when ordered, as it turns out). Then I'll carve out some time to remove my current Seymour Duncan P90, install the mojo, test it out some... And eventually report back.

Look forward to your report.

p90s are massively underrated. There must be 100 humbucker guitars out there for every p90. Drives me nuts as a p90 fan who is always on the prowl for used guitars :)

interested in what you think. I tried the quiet coil 60's strat set and didn't like them. the tone was just ok but it was the feel, or lack of dynamics that really turned me off. so much so I'll live with the original (custom shop) single coils and the hum.

P90 in hand, got here last Thursday. It's not really standard cream color like I expected, seems to have a little light red/peach color to it, but I'm sure it will be fine. Seems like nice build quality, has a single shielded pushback wire to solder. I'll put some pics up eventually.

Now that the hurricane is done and I have power again, I can go get a new soldering iron (my son has decided playing with electronics is a fun pastime, and managed to burn out my iron...) and see how it goes.

P90 in hand, got here last Thursday. It's not really standard cream color like I expected, seems to have a little light red/peach color to it, but I'm sure it will be fine. Seems like nice build quality, has a single shielded pushback wire to solder. I'll put some pics up eventually.

Now that the hurricane is done and I have power again, I can go get a new soldering iron (my son has decided playing with electronics is a fun pastime, and managed to burn out my iron...) and see how it goes.

Hey there, really curious to see what you are thinking of these pickups. Hope the soldering iron hunt was successful enough to report back :D

OK. Update time.
This took way longer than expected. No fault of anyone other than me, but between traveling, work, sick horse (really??), and various family obligations, here we are. I ended up pushing the "I Surrender" button, and had the local tech at GC install it, or it may have been another month.
Initial impression was a little concerning. It felt thin, a lot thinner than my Duncan P90 was. Then I started messing with the AX8 and remembered that last rehearsal I had pulled a lot of lows out with the global EQ, which I had never done before. So in the spirit of changing multiple variables at once, I kinda screwed my testing up initially. But then I fixed the EQ, and the tone when right where I was wanting it to be.
Next up, room change. My music room was upstairs, and my wife wanted to move it downstairs. But downstairs has a fair amount of 60 hz hum in the right spots, even on buckers, and I had moved out of that room for that reason. But, no shock here, the wife won. And the room is now downstairs. So I haven't been able to really get a fair eval of how quiet the new P90 is.

Until, that is, I finally had a rehearsal last night. And, drum roll please.... I loved it. I played it through AX8 (running an eternal love into Badger) and was able to leave it on the P90 most of the night. No irritating hum like the old one had in that location, no one giving me a hard time about it. Was able to get a lot of dynamics out of it with just my right hand, and with that amp/pedal combo I could still clean it up nicely with the volume knob. I was getting nice fat breaking up tones such that I kept finding myself dropping in fills and outros just so I could hear it. And I kept finding myself smirking, a good sign. And a few others in the band gave me quite a few unsolicited head nods and smiles, and our guest singer came back to see what weird modeling thing I was running :)

All in all, I'm keeping it in. I really enjoyed playing it, and it cut out the hum problem I had. And I think everyone else enjoyed it too, always a nice bonus.

Back
Top Bottom