Wish Modifier capability for time values even when they are tempo sync'd

Orvillain

Power User
I'd love to be able to use the built in LFO's and sequencer to jump between 16th note, 8th note, dotted 8th note delays, all sync'd to the tempo.

Here's one reason this would be cool. I'm imagining being able to attach an LFO to the time control in such a situation, to change the delay subdivisions semi-randomly. The input signal is just a basic synth tone from my Novation Summit. Everything else is coming from the Axe III.

Changing the subdivisions on something like a TREM with this approach would be pretty glitch-style cool.
Yeah definitely. That's another usage I'd like to benefit from. To emulate that pattern tremolo kind of thing you'd get on a Strymon Mobius, or that goat pedal whatever the shizz it is called.

Triad has this in their VST plugin. However, they just go up and down the list in order, including triplets, etc. Glitchy, for sure, but not that musical.

Even so, I use it a lot!

Now the reaktor delay I built just halves and doubles, and that's a lot more musical most of the time. It also has a control for the lag time (i.e. how fast you moved the head on the echoplex) which is really useful. I can set it really slow, and the echoes gradually start to lock up to the tempo, but the pitch shift just sounds like chorusing.... or I can set it slow and get abrupt shifts.

For a minute backin the 80s, I had a roland tr606, the matching tb unit, and an old effectron. I ran the bass cv into the effectron delay length input, and ran the drums through it. Very nice transients from the abrupt delay time changes, and nice polyrhythms depending on the pitches you programmed in the bass unit. Maybe you could get that on the FM3 with the sequencer modifying the tape delay's tape speed input? I'll have to try that tomorrow.

I think you mis-phrased the request. What you're really asking for is modifier control over the various Tempo parameters.

You can simulate this by setting the time to the highest desired value and then using Master Time. If you want to step to various glitchy tempo divisions, use the paused/step sequencer as a controller. Now, every time you advance the step, the tempo jumps the next desired value.

I bet it would be interesting with a quantized output random LFO as the source, too.

You can simulate this by setting the time to the highest desired value and then using Master Time.
Searching thru the Blocks Guide that parameter is only available for the Plex Delay, Multitap Delay and Pitch block... Still it's a cool option!

I think you mis-phrased the request. What you're really asking for is modifier control over the various Tempo parameters.

You can simulate this by setting the time to the highest desired value and then using Master Time. If you want to step to various glitchy tempo divisions, use the paused/step sequencer as a controller. Now, every time you advance the step, the tempo jumps the next desired value.

I bet it would be interesting with a quantized output random LFO as the source, too.
This wouldn't work for all delay algorithms/effect algorithms though right?

+ 10000

Modifier control of tempo within any controller or fx block that has tempo would be fantastic.

Not sure why it has never been included as it's something you can easily do via Midi CC on several other fx units.

Last edited:
+ 10000

Modifier control of tempo within any controller or fx block that has tempo would be fantastic.

Not sure why it has never been included as it's something you can easily do via Midi CC on several other fx units.
How would you imagine this would work?

The subdivision is a list of values.

How would you imagine this would work?

The subdivision is a list of values.

Very easily. One Midi CC controller and each subdivision would be accessible within 1-127 of that CC.

The Line 6 Filter Pro for example had specific CC values for each subdivision, while earlier versions of Fracpad on the Axe II allowed you to do this and you would just need to use your ear to work out which values triggered which subdivision.

So it's very easy to work.

Very easily. One Midi CC controller and each subdivision would be accessible within 1-127 of that CC.

The Line 6 Filter Pro for example had specific CC values for each subdivision, while earlier versions of Fracpad on the Axe II allowed you to do this and you would just need to use your ear to work out which values triggered which subdivision.

So it's very easy to work.
Possible solution for midi, yes... Although most likely it would be simpler to have a single value for each choice.

How would that work for other modifier types besides a midi controller?

Although most likely it would be simpler to have a single value for each choice.

That would be great and relates to a previous Wish of mine to allow the Pitch Controller to appear as precise notes/pitches when being used as a modifier.

For example, imagine being able to control and toggle the LFO tempo via individual notes played on the fretboard. An A3 could trigger 1/8 note while an E4 could trigger 16th note subdivision.

The Axe III has the best user effects programming architecture out there, so making modifiers available for certain parameters like Tempo would be fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom