Modern high-gain tones: amp block input drive + drive block vs. only one and not the other?

Sorenspete

Inspired
Hell of a thread title but I'm sitting at work thinking about this. It seems to me that having a drive block as well as the input drive going is incredible for high-gain lead tones, but is a little bit too much for rhythm stuff (running way less mids in the amp can mitigate this somewhat) as it tends to lose a certain kind of responsiveness especially in palm-muted notes. For anyone who has dialed in some great rhythm tones using only the input drive on the amp or only a drive block, what's your experience (if any) with either of these methods? I realise use cases differ, everyone has different tastes, it depends on the amp, etc etc.

Whatever method you choose to use, you're shaping the frequency response of the amp input stage. Cut lows/boost mids before the amp gain, boost lows/cut mids after the amp gain stage is essentially the formula Mark Series amps use so they're a great choice if you just want to use amp gain.

Using the amp block input boost or input EQ to shape the amp's pre-EQ and then a drive block to add some clipping or saturation for leads can be a happy medium too.

No Drive blocks for me, I usually kick in the input boost (TS or SD at 12db or sometimes less) and fiddle around on the input EQ page, most of the time boosting 1K with a very “flat” Q.
I might be way off here, but adding a separate Drive block seems to compress the sound a bit more and I want, even at higher gain settings, my sound to be responsive to my picking dynamics.
When I think I still need more gain I usually go for the Input Trim……

IME adding a drive pedal to the front of a high-gain amp is just going to increase the noise floor. I try to gain stage on the amp level, then add an input boost to create the desired result. Works better with some amps than others, and obviously, there is a lot more variety with the drive block vs. the input boost in terms of drive options.

IME adding a drive pedal to the front of a high-gain amp is just going to increase the noise floor. I try to gain stage on the amp level, then add an input boost to create the desired result. Works better with some amps than others, and obviously, there is a lot more variety with the drive block vs. the input boost in terms of drive options.
When you say noise floor do you mean that the amp doesn't clean up as well when the guitar volume is rolled off?

Most of the time I use the pedal block before the amp if I want to get rid of nastyness and or tighten things up. If I just need a little more juice, I will use the drive section in the Amp block. The Amp block drives to me are great for super fine touches as the drive pedals are better for a wider tone shaping. For example, its kind hard to get the Recto super tight just using the Amp block drives. If you want some break up on a clear type amp, the Amp block drives are great for this. You can also use both if you feel like too.

IF I don´t want to change the character of my hi gain amp, say cameron ccv 2c, but I want "boosted sound", I use input EQ in amp block, set low cut from 10hz to 150hz, set +3db for ca. 1900hz and it acts like super transparent boost. then I go to input trim parameter and set it from 1 to 0.65 value, so it´s less noisy - much less noisy that using amp model with drive block/input drive. it´s glorious :cool:

When you say noise floor do you mean that the amp doesn't clean up as well when the guitar volume is rolled off?
I mean I get more noise (buzz, hum, interference, etc.) when I add a drive in the front. Even if the drive is on "0", it's usually adding noise that isn't present in the amp. Same with some of the Wahs and other effects. The amp can still clean up well, depending on the level of gain set and the taper of your volume pot. I tend to not go past "5" on any amp, but some amps have a lower noise floor inherently from the design. Like an Engl Savage IME is noisier than a Dizel VH4 or a VHT (Fryette) Deliverance.

Input boost is usually the way to go here. You can use a drive pedal and that is the traditional way to make your amp cut and be woofy in the low end. I did this all the time with me Mesa amps, but then they got better and I didn't need to. But with fractal you have that same concept in the input boost and that is like a built in circuit. Best way (mostly) to go.

As I migrate my patches/tones over from my old Ultra to my FM9, where before I would almost always have a drive block before the amp, I now find myself using the amp blocks drive instead. I've been happy, and save a few CPU% points while I'm at it.

As I migrate my patches/tones over from my old Ultra to my FM9, where before I would almost always have a drive block before the amp, I now find myself using the amp blocks drive instead. I've been happy, and save a few CPU% points while I'm at it.
+1 The amp block's boost models are great - like mini versions of the drive pedals.

Using a PEQ block before the amp is IMO much superior and versatile compared to using a drive block or amp input drive , that is if you don’t use the drive parameter and only using the drive block as a clean boost
This is also good. You can also use a Filter Block for the same purpose.

Some of my best heavy patches use 2 drive pedals and the input drive. I WILL NOT BE RESTRAINED!!!

Back
Top Bottom