Modern Hard Rock Amps

• Thread starter Deleted member 79338
  • Start date
I'm not sure how you can't love the Silver Jubilee in the Axe. It's absolutely fat awesomeness!
It may be that's its not actually based on a genuine Silver Jubilee according to the Wiki:

"Our reference amp for the Silver Jubilee is actually not a Silver Jubilee. It's a Lerxst Omega that Alex Lifeson gave me."

I own an SJ and if I plug my guitar in, it sounds fantastic, if I plug it into the Axe with an SJ patch it is either too bassy or, with a low cut, sounds like a generic Marshall. No matter what I do, it is sub par compared to the real deal.

As to not sound too negative, all the other Marshalls in the Axe sound better than the actual amps.

Actually just listened to an old YouTube clip from @2112 and it sounded great. I wonder what Leon did that I missed..... Damn that's back on my list.

May look at picking up @austinbuddy Gold pack to provide exposure too a few amps I have never used too.

For those that have used the Gold pack, how do you find these for recording?

JVM410 OD 1 Orange with a boost into york mesa 212. I usually blend a 57/sm7/121 with the 57 more forward. Post PEQ after the cab block ala what Leon has in his factory patch, tweak amp output EQ page to taste. Super fun model imo.

I know you mentioned other than Marshall....still killer.

JVM410 OD 1 Orange with a boost into york mesa 212. I usually blend a 57/sm7/121 with the 57 more forward. Post PEQ after the cab block ala what Leon has in his factory patch, tweak amp output EQ page to taste. Super fun model imo.

I know you mentioned other than Marshall....still killer.
Having owned about 5 JVMs and regrettable buying and selling the JS for £600, I am a big fan of the JVM sound, not the damn weight though.

The Axe modelling the infamous OD1 channel was a stroke of genius. Good shout as that was my gigging amp of choice for a number of years.

Actually just listened to an old YouTube clip from @2112 and it sounded great. I wonder what Leon did that I missed..... Damn that's back on my list.

May look at picking up @austinbuddy Gold pack to provide exposure too a few amps I have never used too.

For those that have used the Gold pack, how do you find these for recording?

Do you ever tweak the output EQ and/or speaker impedance curve on the amp block? The speaker impedance curve can be a good starting point for the general tone you're looking for and then tweaking each band on the output EQ to so each frequency band is what you're looking can really clean up the sound. Then, I find the knobs in the authentic and/or ideal tabs let you adjust the tone to your desire. Leon has a video showing off those tabs, but I forget which one it was. It helped me when I got the AFX3 and was trying to get the tone I was looking for.

To me, the Solo 100 Lead is pretty hard to beat. Leave the tone knobs at noon, presence around 5, depth around 4, and that’s about it. That amp sounds great with pretty much any cab you throw at it.

Second pick would be the PVH 6160 Block. Gain around 3-3.5, tone controls all around 6, presence between zero-2, resonance 5-7, and master volume around 2. It’s the “anti-Friedman” where the low end is deeper and the low-mids are cut/cleaner… just depends on what you’re going for if you want a rock amp that moves outside of the Marshall world.

Do you ever tweak the output EQ and/or speaker impedance curve on the amp block? The speaker impedance curve can be a good starting point for the general tone you're looking for and then tweaking each band on the output EQ to so each frequency band is what you're looking can really clean up the sound. Then, I find the knobs in the authentic and/or ideal tabs let you adjust the tone to your desire. Leon has a video showing off those tabs, but I forget which one it was. It helped me when I got the AFX3 and was trying to get the tone I was looking for.
The output EQ yes I generally have a play with this expecially with the Mesa amps. The speaker impedance curve I have never touched, may give that a look at too. Good shout, learning a lot in this thread.

To me, the Solo 100 Lead is pretty hard to beat. Leave the tone knobs at noon, presence around 5, depth around 4, and that’s about it. That amp sounds great with pretty much any cab you throw at it.

Second pick would be the PVH 6160 Block. Gain around 3-3.5, tone controls all around 6, presence between zero-2, resonance 5-7, and master volume around 2. It’s the “anti-Friedman” where the low end is deeper and the low-mids are cut/cleaner… just depends on what you’re going for if you want a rock amp that moves outside of the Marshall world.
The Solo is definitely on the list and thank you for such detailed settings.

The PVH I have yet to try out, i remember about 20 years ago a band gigging with used a 1x12 Peavey, the thing looked like a toy, then he played it and it was such a big raw sound..... Almost forgot about that experience.

I think I will grab the Austin Buddy Gold Pack so I have things laid out and leveled then start making my way through the amps.

@York Audio what cab packs would you recommend for a good hard rock sound. I have been such a big advocate of the V30 Marshalls and Mesas that I very rarely venture into other areas. If the Mesa 2x12 York Audio turns out to be a winner I may grab a pack.

Mike

The Solo is definitely on the list and thank you for such detailed settings.

The PVH I have yet to try out, i remember about 20 years ago a band gigging with used a 1x12 Peavey, the thing looked like a toy, then he played it and it was such a big raw sound..... Almost forgot about that experience.

I think I will grab the Austin Buddy Gold Pack so I have things laid out and leveled then start making my way through the amps.

@York Audio what cab packs would you recommend for a good hard rock sound. I have been such a big advocate of the V30 Marshalls and Mesas that I very rarely venture into other areas. If the Mesa 2x12 York Audio turns out to be a winner I may grab a pack.

Mike
I have most of the York Audio Cab Packs and this one is my go to cab for all Hard Rock sounds, specially for Marshall style amps.
But I can highly recommend the Greenback, Friedman and Bogner cab as well.
The 2x12 Creamback is also worth a look.
https://www.yorkaudio.co/product-page/mrsh-412-blackjack

For me too but i use with different settings.. Gain at 3.5 with master volume at 7. 5 and the ts808 mod in the preamp section as a boost.. I ve also bought an ir with eminence legend v12 which i use with every amp... Best speakers to me..

I’ll try a few suggestions mentioned here. I’m mainly a Marshall guy... I’ve dialed in about 8 different ones for different flavors. I also really like the Mesa IIC+ and the Engl for heavy sounds.
Of course your cabinet choice really has a huge impact on the sound. V30’s work good for heavy, but so can G12M or G12H.

Tonight I spent the evening playing the amp I laughed at most, the CornFed M50.

Loaded my JCM800 preset, change the amp to keep my EQ settings, struck the first chord and my evening vanished.

That's a splendid amp that requires minimal tweaking to my ears.

I am off work tomorrow, so going to get through a few more suggestions.

@la noise I laughed, I slightly mocked, and I apologies hahahaha

I’ll try a few suggestions mentioned here. I’m mainly a Marshall guy... I’ve dialed in about 8 different ones for different flavors. I also really like the Mesa IIC+ and the Engl for heavy sounds.
Of course your cabinet choice really has a huge impact on the sound. V30’s work good for heavy, but so can G12M or G12H.
Yes I shift between the Marshalls and the Mesa amps. The Mesa Red is a beast, such a beautiful sounding amp.

Tonight I spent the evening playing the amp I laughed at most, the CornFed M50.

Loaded my JCM800 preset, change the amp to keep my EQ settings, struck the first chord and my evening vanished.

That's a splendid amp that requires minimal tweaking to my ears.

I am off work tomorrow, so going to get through a few more suggestions.

@la noise I laughed, I slightly mocked, and I apologies hahahaha

Cool!! :)

I wish I could say I was surprised. I am not. :)

We seem to share really similar tastes in amps and tones, so I had an hunch.

I still revert to one of the 800s most of the time.

Check out the Lynchback IRs from Ownhammer in the Cab Block with Marshalls. #757 and #759.

I really dig them. One is a a 57 and the other is the 121. They bring me the happies with anything
Marshall based.

Back
Top Bottom