Modern Hard Rock Amps

• Thread starter Deleted member 79338
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 79338

Hello all,

I have been spending some time setting up my little home studio so I can start recording a new EP with the view of putting a band together as whilst I am a vocalist in my current band, I miss taking the stage as the guitarist.

I am a big Marshall and also a big Slash/GnR/Velvet Revolver fan plus a lot of 90s bands. I gravitate a lot towards the JCM800 and varients of that amp (Axe just makes Marshall amps sound better than the originals, with the exception of the Silver Jubilee, cant warm at all to the Axe version ) but I feel my taste is maybe limiting my time investment in other amps. I have also grown to love the Mesa amps in the Axe, I love the overall character of those amps.

Before I embark on recording, I would like some advise on that constitute a good modern hard rock amp these days. I know the JVM and DSL are a more modern take on the Marshall, but I was looking for advise on other models away from Marshall.

Just very curious.

We share some similarities; I'm also working on an album of my own that I plan on putting together a band after it's done to perform the music....after spending far too long as a vocalist-only and not playing guitar in a band.

Friedman's, man! For me they're the perfect mix of a dark sounding amp while still getting some of those Marshall-y tones. They do the Jerry Cantrell thing really damn well and if I had to use one amp through an entire set of hard rock songs, it'd be one of the BE's in the AxeFX/FM9. You can go balls out gain while still rolling the volume knob back to clean it up. Not something I can do with the Mesa/Peavey amps nearly as well, because I'm mainly going for straight chug with those amps.

Also- CCV/Atomica and the Splawn Nitrous is a BEAST!!!

And if you've got the cash to spare, pick up Austin Buddy's Live Gold pack. I never really got on with other people's presets but holy shit did he do an outstanding job at dialing in those presets. You'll get all the amps paired with a great sounding cab that delivers the amp's intent. I got it so while I'm tracking my album, I could stop dicking around with guitar tones and just pick what'll work, I got more than I was expecting with that pack and can't wait until he develops it for the FM9. Sure, you can spend hours trying to dial in your own tones, or just pick one of his presets that gets you 90% in the ballpark and fine tune from there. He did an amazing job laying them out to work in multiple situations while leaving room for you to add whatever effects you want.

The Atomica is a great shout, I remember them sounding fantastic.

Good shout and on the list.

@RevDrucifer

Man it's hard being a singer and guitarist, guitarists in Liverpool are in the thousands, singers are very much hard to come by. I feel your pain, I did the same a few years ago, wrote a set, put a top notch rhythm section together with a view to writing together. Turns out too much ego can ruin a band quickly.

I love Cantrells sound, big AIC fan, but for some reason the Friedman amps do nothing for me. I feel like it's me, I am doing something wrong.

That BE is now on the list to try though.

Cheers bud

Mmm Splawn.... Not tried that one...

On the list.

I got it so while I'm tracking my album, I could stop dicking around with guitar tones and just pick what'll work.
Funny you say that, i tried a load of the amps in the Axe but through the constant changing and ear fatigue, it become a task and a half. I prefer a set of core sounds rather then an EP with 18 different amps lol.

If I can get 5 or 6 good suggestions ill be off to try them out.

I already have 3 to try out within a few seconds.

@RevDrucifer

Man it's hard being a singer and guitarist, guitarists in Liverpool are in the thousands, singers are very much hard to come by. I feel your pain, I did the same a few years ago, wrote a set, put a top notch rhythm section together with a view to writing together. Turns out too much ego can ruin a band quickly.

I love Cantrells sound, big AIC fan, but for some reason the Friedman amps do nothing for me. I feel like it's me, I am doing something wrong.

Cheers bud

I just wanted to really school myself on singing and I knew if I threw myself to the wolves, I'd 'get gud' faster. Then I kept getting offers to join other bands by people that didn't even know I had been playing guitar for years prior. Ultimately, it was way too constricting and I didn't have enough of a creative outlet. Especially when I was being handed lyrics and melodies were being dictated to me, I felt like a puppet.

The right IR is everything, brother! Not sure what you've got, but I can tell you that you'll save yourself a LOT of time by scooping up a couple York Audio packs. There's a lot of great stuff stock in the AxeFX, but I've had considerably more success with York's stuff. He's got a Friedman cab that I use for all the.....Friedman amps. For the really heavy stuff, I've yet to find anything that beats the DV77 pack.

I just wanted to really school myself on singing and I knew if I threw myself to the wolves, I'd 'get gud' faster. Then I kept getting offers to join other bands by people that didn't even know I had been playing guitar for years prior. Ultimately, it was way too constricting and I didn't have enough of a creative outlet. Especially when I was being handed lyrics and melodies were being dictated to me, I felt like a puppet.

The right IR is everything, brother! Not sure what you've got, but I can tell you that you'll save yourself a LOT of time by scooping up a couple York Audio packs. There's a lot of great stuff stock in the AxeFX, but I've had considerably more success with York's stuff. He's got a Friedman cab that I use for all the.....Friedman amps. For the really heavy stuff, I've yet to find anything that beats the DV77 pack.
Man that sounds very limiting. I am lucky in that I can mix and construct music so they listen to my opinion but we very much let each member be creative. If i come up with melodies they don't like they tell me, and I rework them and the same goes for there parts. They are a great bunch of lads too.

An old band I was in the bassist wrote the worse song in musical history, lyrics and all. He told me as they were playing my music (although I never made people play the parts I wrote), I had to play the song he wrote. After explaining that I would if I could rewrite the song to fit in with the rest of the music as it sounded like a generic 70s rock song by Hawkwind, it turned out it was easier to replace the bassist than continue the debate.

I started matching the cabs to the amps more as I tend to stick with V30s as I love the cut and growl, also a fan of the GT75s too so sticking to those speakers in different cabs tends to work.

I need to try the York Audio IR's as a lot of people rave about them. Good shout again.

Friedman, Splawn, Atomicas are all great suggestions, but I wouldn't discount the Diezel VH4 channel 2, really great modern crunch imo.
Never tried a Diezel amp, I'll put that on the list too. Thanks for being specific about the actual model too.

I’ve had good luck with the Friedman HBE C45, and the Solo 100 lead. York Audio Bogner cab mixes 1 or 4. I think the Brit 800 #34 is supposed to be good for the Slash range.

The York Audio Bogner pack is v30’s.
I tried the Solo100 and I did like that amps too.

Yes I tried the #34 but strangely enough I preferred the Brit800 mod for the Slash sound.

I think need to try these York Audio cabs.

@RevDrucifer

Cheers bud

I don't like the Friedmans at all. Too bloated, thick, and smooth to my ears. Don't have the bite,
snarl, and grind of the Marshalls. My go to right now is the Brit Mod with the Diezel VH4 Ch. 3
together.

I have gotten into blending amps as I run dual FM3s. I get that it may not be an option for you
(unless you do it stacking tracks), but a Marshall with a Diezel VH4 or Recto is tonal bliss. I also like
the Diezel VH4 Channel 3 a lot on its own with a boost (SD-1) in front to give it more bite.

Blending contrasting amps on a recording works well too.

Atomica/Uberschall, Friedman/Recto, Mark/AC20 are some faves of mine.
Hey Leon.

Yes I was blending the 800 with the Mesa Red and had great results with that due to the brightness of the 800 making up for the more bass heavy Mesa.

Panned left and right they had you there for hours.

The AC is a good shout as I love Stone Temple Pilots use of the Demeter and the AC30.

Lots to play with so far.

I don't like the Friedmans at all. Too bloated and thick to my ears. Don't have the bite
and grind of the Marshalls.

I have gotten into blending amps as I run dual FM3s, and it may not be an option for you.
But a Marshall with a Diezel VH4 or Recto is bliss. I also like the Diezel VH4 Channel 3 a lot
with a boost in front to give it more bite.
Blending isn't an issue as I am using the Axe 3, unless I open up FullRes IR's, then it can sometimes cry.

Agreed on the Marshall with the Rev.... Man that's one fat sound.

Also you may have hit the nail on the head with the Friedman amps. There is something about Marshalls that are aggressive but not in an overdrive way just the bite of an American Pitbull.

Back
Top Bottom