MK I/II/XL Legacy Firmware Poll... to remove or not to remove

Should legacy firmware be removed or not?

• Remove

Votes: 210 92.9%
  • Keep

Votes: 16 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you understand why it was implemented in the first place?

Based on numerous replies in this and other threads, it's apparent there's a serious lack of understanding as to why the Model Version parameter was implemented in the first place.

There's definitely some confusion in some of these threads, but not just on the why.. could you explain further? I'm not sure I know why myself.

Hah, of course, I literally just took ownership of a Mark 1 like two weeks ago... my first Axe FX II product, wouldn't it be just my luck that it's now end of road. Crazy.

I also however agree, that if removing the settings to roll back on the fly to previous FW algorithms allow for the I and II to upgrade then I'm 100% on board. Even while playing with the previous versions are fun, the newest code always seems to sound the best anyways.

There's definitely some confusion in some of these threads, but not just on the why.. could you explain further? I'm not sure I know why myself.

It's because changes to amp modeling in newer firmware had a tendency to cause the sound of presets created with older firmware to change. For someone who's spent a lot of time honing the sound of their presets using any number of different firmware versions, it can be exceedingly frustrating to discover that the sound of the presets you worked so hard to craft had more or less changed after installing the latest firmware. The Model Version parameter allows users to install new firmware without having to worry about the sound of their existing presets changing as it's automatically set to whatever version was used when the preset was created. Lose that functionality and you lose sonic continuity from one firmware to the next.

I install new firmware on a regular basis and always look forward to improvements, but I like knowing that my existing presets will sound exactly as they did when I saved them, assuming there were no changes to effects.

Last edited:
It's because changes to amp modeling in newer firmware had a tendency to cause the sound of presets created with older firmware to change. For someone who's spent a lot of time honing the sound of their presets using any number of different firmware versions, it can be exceedingly frustrating to discover that the sound of the presets you worked so hard to craft had more or less changed after installing the latest firmware. The Model Version parameter allows users to install new firmware without having to worry about the sound of their existing presets changing as it's automatically set to whatever version was used when the preset was created. Lose that functionality and you lose sonic continuity from one firmware to the next.

I install new firmware on a regular basis and always look forward to improvements, but I like knowing that my existing presets will sound exactly as they did when I saved them, assuming there were no changes to effects.

Jason, I agree with you on the part of I would like my presets to stay the same or get better when upgrading FW. But that's why, in older days, you keep a copy of your current FW and roll back to it if you don't like the newest. It's your personal choice. No one is forcing you to stick with it. Cliff did everyone that agreed with you a kindness by creating the system that he did but that system now threatens to hold EVERY MK I/II user back. So are you telling me that instead of going back to how it used to be you would rather keep things just as they are and never allow any MK I/II user to ever move forward again until they buy an XL? I'm sorry but, with all due respect, that seems kind of selfish to me. And it seems by both polls that have been conducted and the outcry on the threads, you would be in the minority.

Still, as was stated earlier. This is Cliff's ship and where ever he decides to steer it is cool with me.

The Ultra was released in 2008 and was discontinued in 2011 it had a run of firmware updates for 3 years. The MK1 & II were released in 2011 and 2012 and have enjoyed continues updates for 4 & 5 years. Thats a pretty good run if you ask me. As a XL user i would be really disappointed to lose the model version parameter. I did not pay the extra money over buying a used MK1 or II to go backwards at this point.

I'm also a Ultra owner and am more than happy it finished on a stable and great sounding firmware 11.

Thanks for taking the time to explain Jason. This is what I understood it to be, so I guess I was assuming something more to it. It is indeed a handy feature for those like yourself who stick with older FW's for some amps (I assume). I was way more pleased with Cliff adding the function in Q5 to allow us to set the Axe to use the latest FW across all presets- I didn't like having to manually go in and set each preset to use the latest (almost all of my presets were built a number of FW ago and I just install each new FW and readjust the amps as needed). I'm in the camp that never uses a previous FW version.. I adjust and move forward every time.

I'm on the same page as many in this thread... while the ability to easily change (or keep) some presets at an earlier/different firmware level, I am in the camp of removing that capability in favor of being able to allow the Mk I/II units to continue to be updated. Yes, I know rolling back to a previous FW version would be a pain to keep "that" sound of a preset(s), but also understand the pain of Mk I/II owners units that are technically capable of taking advantage of the latest FW yet unable to use it just for the sake of backward compatibility.

The Ultra was released in 2008 and was discontinued in 2011 it had a run of firmware updates for 3 years. The MK1 & II were released in 2011 and 2012 and have enjoyed continues updates for 4 & 5 years. Thats a pretty good run if you ask me. As a XL user i would be really disappointed to lose the model version parameter. I did not pay the extra money over buying a used MK1 or II to go backwards at this point.

I'm also a Ultra owner and am more than happy it finished on a stable and great sounding firmware 11.

Yes absolutely that is a damn good run. Especially in an industry where this kind of constant development is unheard of and if this is where it stops due to technical reasons or because they just plain don't want to keep updating it, that is Fractal's prerogative. But what you guys in the minority are arguing is that all of the rest of us should miss out purely because you want to keep a feature that barely anyone uses. That stance just doesn't make any sense to me.

No reason to artificially limit the ability of MK I and MK II units with 6 versions of the firmware...... That is just plain nutz......

Yes absolutely that is a damn good run. Especially in an industry where this kind of constant development is unheard of and if this is where it stops due to technical reasons or because they just plain don't want to keep updating it, that is Fractal's prerogative. But what you guys in the minority are arguing is that all of the rest of us should miss out purely because you want to keep a feature that barely anyone uses. That stance just doesn't make any sense to me.

No what im saying is that it would be unfair to XL users to lose that feature. Since the MK 1&2 use a different firmware file than the XL or XL+ why couldn't the exclusion of previous firmware versions just effect the older devices? Maybe i'm missing something here

Thankfully this looks like a moot point now...v6 for all models is up and the Mk. I/II don't have a rollback feature anymore while that's preserved for the XL/XL+. Everyone wins here...!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom