Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One - The Biggest Stunt in Cinema History (Tom Cruise)

Toopy14

Axe-Master
I know there are a lot of people who aren't fans of Tom Cruise...but doing this at any age, let alone 60 years old, is just incredible! Fascinating to see what goes into a shot like this. Nothing beats a movie with good 'ole fashioned stunts.

Last edited:
Holy poop! I don't love Tom Cruise, but I do admire his dedication and focus in performing his own stunts. I've read accounts of his ability to perform repeat takes of physically demanding stunts over the course a day. It's remarkable that an A list actor would insist on training for, and performing such dangerous practical stunts themselves. TC is 60 and is as badass as the characters he portrays. I'm 59 and sometimes struggle locating the loose end on a roll of gaff tape.

I doubt it sucks to be Tom Cruise. :tearsofjoy:

Hahahha I like how he says “It’s all about the audience”…..suuuuure, nothing to do with the crazy endorphin rush this dude must get while doing this stuff! Not knockin’ it in any way, it definitely beats drugs! :D

The dichotomy of someone like Cruise, who has to train his body to endure crazy physical strain and spends years getting it right, compared to someone like Christian Bale who will flip out on set if someone distracts him. I love Bale, one of my favorite actors, but if Tom Cruise can spend years training for one stunt, surely someone like Bale can condition himself to get through a scene without being distracted enough to flip out like a child.

And really, I generally dig Tom’s roles. Occasionally I get a but miffed by the “here’s my I’m sexy smirk”, but the dude more than makes up for it with the stunts and in general, I dig what he does with his characters. I’ll never not-watch something because he’s in it, which I can’t say for all actors!

I doubt it sucks to be Tom Cruise. :tearsofjoy:

Hahahha I like how he says “It’s all about the audience”…..suuuuure, nothing to do with the crazy endorphin rush this dude must get while doing this stuff! Not knockin’ it in any way, it definitely beats drugs! :D

The dichotomy of someone like Cruise, who has to train his body to endure crazy physical strain and spends years getting it right, compared to someone like Christian Bale who will flip out on set if someone distracts him. I love Bale, one of my favorite actors, but if Tom Cruise can spend years training for one stunt, surely someone like Bale can condition himself to get through a scene without being distracted enough to flip out like a child.

And really, I generally dig Tom’s roles. Occasionally I get a but miffed by the “here’s my I’m sexy smirk”, but the dude more than makes up for it with the stunts and in general, I dig what he does with his characters. I’ll never not-watch something because he’s in it, which I can’t say for all actors!
My understanding from when I worked in the entertainment industry and having seen Tom Cruise working at our studio was that TC has a POSSE/Entourage of "handlers" that take care of EVERYTHING set-wise. I believe they're all part of his church. They ensure everything on-set is to his liking, ensure personnel know what they can/can't do around him, etc. This is above and well beyond what the production company does.
And that's in contrast to someone like Christian Bale - also a great actor, but sans the deeper pockets (not that he's hurting) and bankability that TC brings. Along with the personal entourage, etc.

I generally dig Tom’s roles.

Agreed! He doesn't even have to do stunts to make a great movie. A Few Good Men, for example, is a great movie with many great actors, including Cruise. No special effects and no stunts. Just a great script with some memorable scenes and dialog...especially the one between Cruise and Nicholson. A Few Good Men reminds me a lot of the original 12 Angry Men. Just great actors with a great script and with great dialog.

I wish I'd be in that shape on my 60s, kudos to the guy. I never disliked him, like with many actors I am mostly worried about his roles not themselves and I do not dig much of today's movies, I enjoyed a lot though Top Gun 2.

I don't mind Cruise, but his one big failure, for me, was purchasing the rights to the Reacher series of books - and then casting himself as Jack Reacher, a 6'5" man-mountain with a face that only his mother could love.
For the millions of people who have read some or all of the Reacher novels, this was a huge step too far.
There's no way I can watch Cruise's two Reacher movies and have to suspend my mental image of Reacher from the books to watch little squirt "Reacher" in the movies.
The Amazon Prime version of Reacher, starring Alan Ritchson, is on the money, after Lee Child bought the rights back from Cruise.

Agreed! He doesn't even have to do stunts to make a great movie. A Few Good Men, for example, is a great movie with many great actors, including Cruise. No special effects and no stunts. Just a great script with some memorable scenes and dialog...especially the one between Cruise and Nicholson. A Few Good Men reminds me a lot of the original 12 Angry Men. Just great actors with a great script and with great dialog.

Good call, I forgot about that movie! I love Vanilla Sky as well, I need to watch both those movies again, it’s been too long.

Jumping out of helicopters, jumping 80' on a dirt bike but playing it safe with a covid mask!!?? Come on Tom, don't be a wuss! :p

An amazing actor, a true modern Movie Star with both the M and S capitalized. Personal beliefs aside, the man is a consistently entertaining performer and I respect his dedication to his craft.

Funnily enough, the MI franchise is probably one of the only franchises in film history where the sequels are consistently better, and / or more entertaining than the ones that came before. Might just be my opinion, but the escalation of Mr. Cruise's batshit insane stunt shenanigans might also play a role in this.

Back
Top Bottom