Mission EP1-KP with FM9 using an FC6

SJonesofva

Inspired
Hi all,

Made a mistake buying a Mission EP1-KP instead of the SP1, but based on what I'm reading here and in the manuals this thing should work (but is not). The difference between the EP1-KP and the SP1 is on the SP1 the switch is latching and on the EP1-KP it is momentary.

What I want to do is use the pedal to control both volume and wah and use the switch to bypass one or the other.

I have the pedal connected to an FC6, using Pedal 1 input for the expression and Pedal 2 for the switch. In Setup, FC1 Pedal 1 is set for continuous, and FC1 Pedal 2 is set to momentary. In my test preset, I have a wah block and a volume block. Both Volume and Wah Control are set to FC1 Pedal 1. That part works OK. For Bypass, I have that set to FC1 pedal 2 for both and for Volume, Engaged and Bypassed are inverted. However the switch doesn't do anything and both blocks are bypassed.

Any thoughts or things to try? Right now I'm thinking of sending the EP1-KP back and exchanging for an SP1.

TIA for any help.

Steve

The FC Pedal 2 should be set to 'Latching'. It's not asking which type of switch is connected, it's allowing the user to define how the switch operates.

OK, tried that. Now the volume block which is before the wah block is always on. The pedal switch does not toggle them.

Are you using a TS cable for the switch? I'm pretty certain that pedal uses a TS cable for the switch jack.

OK, tried that. Now the volume block which is before the wah block is always on. The pedal switch does not toggle them.
Recheck the bypass modifier in both blocks. They should both be set to 'FC1 Pedal 2' and the 'Min' and 'Max' should be reversed in one of the blocks (i.e. Volume 'Min'= Bypassed, 'Max'= Engaged, Wah 'Min'= Engaged, 'Max'= Bypassed). This should ensure they are not on at the same time.

Yes, using a TS cable.
In volume block, min set to 100, max set to zero
In wah block, min set to zero, max set to 100.
Either there is something else I'm doing wrong or this pedal won't work with the FM-9.

Thanks,

Steve

The FC Pedal 2 should be set to 'Latching'. It's not asking which type of switch is connected, it's allowing the user to define how the switch operates.
I think this might be wrong. With the Axe-FX III pedal ports you need to set type to "momentary" in I/O: Pedal to get latching operation from momentary hardware.

I would view one of these modifier menus to see if any change in state is actually being detected. The only thing a mismatch of switch hardware & type setting would do is give momentary switching (momentary hardware, Pedal type setting 'latching') or cause every other press to do nothing (latching hardware, Pedal type setting 'momentary'). Once you verify the modifier dot is moving you can sort out whether the type is correct for your switch hardware.

Posting the preset might also be a good idea.

Reactions: Rex
Yes, using a TS cable.
In volume block, min set to 100, max set to zero
In wah block, min set to zero, max set to 100.
Either there is something else I'm doing wrong or this pedal won't work with the FM-9.

Thanks,

Steve
Should be using a TRS cable, not a TS cable.

I think this might be wrong. With the Axe-FX III pedal ports you need to set type to "momentary" in I/O: Pedal to get latching operation from momentary hardware.

I would view one of these modifier menus to see if any change in state is actually being detected. The only thing a mismatch of switch hardware & type setting would do is give momentary switching (momentary hardware, Pedal type setting 'latching') or cause every other press to do nothing (latching hardware, Pedal type setting 'momentary'). Once you verify the modifier dot is moving you can sort out whether the type is correct for your switch hardware.

Posting the preset might also be a good idea.
I could very well be wrong, wouldn't be the first time. I would defer to your knowledge on the subject, apologies.

Got it to work.

Switch had to be set to momentary, not latching.

Wah needed Auto Engage turned on. I had that set in an earlier try but had deleted the block and added it again to start from scratch and forgot that step.

Also, discovered I need to step down pretty hard on the switch, which is difficult sitting down. I might go ahead and exchange for the SP1. I think you'd get better tactile feedback from the switch.

By the way, for this unit for the switch output it is supposed to be a TS cable. I'm sure a TRS would work, just not needed. TRS is needed for the expression output.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Steve

Wah needed Auto Engage turned on.
Autoengage is only needed if you want to bypass the wah (at toe or heel position) without needing to switch back to pedal controlling volume. So, it's not entirely clear what you've set up without seeing the preset. I'm guessing you might have the switch modifying some wah parameter other than bypass. (This will delay bypassing slightly even with a "fast" autoengage setting but might not cause any real issues otherwise.)

Turning on Auto-engage is based on "Method 5" for "Use a single pedal for multiple tasks" in the Fractal Audio Wiki page entitled "Expression pedals, switches, remote control":

Method 5
(control Volume and Wah with a expression pedal with a switch:
1. Put Wah and Volume after each other on the grid.
2. Configure both blocks to be controlled by the pedal. Set the Wah to Auto-Engage.
3. Attach the pedal's switch to the Bypass parameter of both blocks. Set Min/Max in the modifier menu in one block to0/100 and in the other block to 100/0.
4. The switch now switches between Wah/Volume duty.

All I can say is with Auto-engage off, it did not work. With Auto-engage on, it does.

The preset is attached if you're feeling adventurous

thanks,

Steve

Attachments

• FM9-Wah Vol Expression Experiment.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 4
The wiki is misleading there. The wah bypass modifier will make any autoengage setting on any other wah modifiers irrelevant.

The preset you posted has no autoengage in the wah block when viewed with FracTool or imported to the III with Axe-Edit. The bypass modifiers as configured should toggle wah & volume blocks oppositely. There is a "fast position" autoengage selected for the Vol/pan bypass modifier but that's also irrelevant; the modifier dot's position still determines whether the block is engaged or bypassed at all times.

Back
Top Bottom