Minor EQ, major payoff!

ConnorGilks

Experienced
I made some EQ adjustments to my main rhythm tone (I play modern metal) and it made a huge difference. I've got a High Pass Filter at 100Hz to roll off the lows and leave room for the bass, did a very narrow cut at 1kHz and a bit wider cut at 300Hz and 700Hz to open up the tone some more, getting rid of the really nasally parts of the tone that make the guitar really flat and two-dimensional. Made a world of difference. The tone was clearer, more focused, meshed with the bass better (it was like a wall of sound today, sounded huge) and I was really happy with it.

The EQ adjustments were done in the PEQ block and are very minor so that I don't eliminate anything too much like the thump and grind. No cut was more than 2db. Make your EQ adjustments for the sake of making the tone more balanced, you don't want to scoop too much or too wide, especially in the low mids or it'll sound harsh in the high end.

Just thought I'd throw that out there for anyone messing with more involved EQ than just the amp settings, especially for those who play extreme modern metal type stuff. :)

Here you go guys, let me know how it works out for you! I know I don't need that many PEQ block, I just have them so I can easily compare things to the original signal. I'm using an Ibanez RG2228 with BKP Cold Sweats tuned to Drop Eb, although it's tweaked to be optimal for Drop Ab on a 7 string since that's where this guitar sees the most use. Also using a solid state ISP Stealth power amp into an Avatar 2x12 with V30's. I believe I'm on Firmware 17.02, can't recall. You'll probably have to tweak the gate and drive settings to get a decent result, but hopefully it still helps. :)

https://www.mediafire.com/?5g5cejc5drbi91z

Last edited:
Good advice.

I usually add just a bit of a boost at 2.5K for clarity if you want the tone to sit a little on top of the mix. (Or cut if you want to blend into the back of the mix)

Good advice.

I usually add just a bit of a boost at 2.5K for clarity if you want the tone to sit a little on top of the mix. (Or cut if you want to blend into the back of the mix)

Good tip! I tend to be careful around there since it's getting into vocal range territory, but if you do it right it's definitely helpful when it comes to clarity and getting up front in the mix.

Thanks for the info

Any time!

Good tip! I tend to be careful around there since it's getting into vocal range territory, but if you do it right it's definitely helpful when it comes to clarity and getting up front in the mix.

Yeah it gives you that guitar and lead vocal sound like GNR. Where you can hear Slash about the same as Axel.

Back
Top Bottom